By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So what is the bast value/quality Blu Ray player in the $500.00 range?

Don't bring PS3 fanboy quotes either; if I get a PS3, I'm not going to kill it's lifespan on movies. I want to know what the best standalone Blu Ray player is right now in that price range.

Around the Network

I understand what you are saying...but at $299....you might as well get a PS3...it is an entertainment console (according to Sony)...so it is designed to play loads of Blu Rays

Sorry but best "value" at $500?

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

D_Boy said:
I understand what you are saying...but at $299....you might as well get a PS3...it is an entertainment console (according to Sony)...so it is designed to play loads of Blu Rays

I know it will wear down the player with the amount of movies I watch.

Well...nobody wants to answer your question. $500 for a Blu Ray is expensive....when you can get the PS3 for $299. Also...go do some research online for models in that price range...I doubt anyone here has a $500 Standalone Blu Ray player.

Around the Network
D_Boy said:
Well...nobody wants to answer your question. $500 for a Blu Ray is expensive....when you can get the PS3 for $299. Also...go do some research online for models in that price range...I doubt anyone here has a $500 Standalone Blu Ray player.

I just like to have my movies seperate. I have gone through about five DVD players in ten years going through my 400 + movies; and I get high quality players. I don't want to subject a gaming console to that abuse. I learned my lesson burning out my original Xbox playing movies as well. I have looked around a bit, and the $200.00 - $300.00 standalone players just seem cheap in comparison to the more expensive models.

Honestly, if you're looking to spend 500$, I'd just build a computer with a Blu-ray drive, or stick one in yours if you have an HDMI port on it and it's handy to your TV.  They come as cheap as 60$ nowadays: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

Spend less time watching movies. 400+ movies..wow.

D_Boy said:
Spend less time watching movies. 400+ movies..wow.

When I'm not going out, or working, there is a movie playing at home. Most t.v. is garbage now.

sguy78 said:
D_Boy said:

I know it will wear down the player with the amount of movies I watch.

No one knows how long a optical disc player lasts. Only time will tell. My Denon CD player is 21 years old, it still works and is still used several hours a day. During the same time period all relatives and friends - who use their CD players rarely compared to me - had to buy 2 or 3 new ones.

So why would watching many movies on PS3 automatically shorten its lifetime? (And even if it theoretically does, I assume it will still work for several years).