By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF6 (FF3 on SNES) is by far the best Final Fantasy game

@perpride

Thank you... the most people who think FFVII better, never played the others FFs... but this is not your case.

My preference:

1 - FFVI and FFXII
3 - FFIV
4 - FFX
5 - FFVII and FFIX
7 - FFVIII and FFV
9 - FFI and FFII

I guess that I never played FFIII (japonese) and my first FF was FFVI for SNES (I played without knowing how to save the game).

Around the Network

ethomaz - nice list bud.... It is obv. a matter of preference, but even looking at your list I can't say anything bad because every one of those games is a classic to me :)

I think 6 had the best story, but the characters were better in 10. And 7 was great all-around. So I dunno. Ten was the game I didn't want to end the most.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

ethomaz said:
@perpride

Thank you... the most people who think FFVII better, never played the others FFs... but this is not you case.

My preference:

1 - FFVI and FFXII
3 - FFIV
4 - FFX
5 - FFVII and FFIX
7 - FFVIII and FFV
9 - FFI and FFII

I guess that I never played FFIII (japonese) and my first FF was FFVI for SNES (I played without knowing how to save the game).

I always like seeing peoples rankings who have played most of them.  I've only played 6, 7 and 10 so far, playing Chrono Trigger for the first time right now, then playing 4 and 8 after that.  I need to pick up 12 too. 

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Agreed -- the games before Final Fantasy 7 were the golden age of final fantasy games.  I really tried to like Final Fantasy 7, but I just couldn't enjoy it.  The kiddie / high school aged love triangle was too much garbage for me to swallow and the game play and fantasy just weren't as good.

Final Fantasy 2 (4 in Japan) was fantastic as well.  The SNES age was definitely the best time for Final Fantasy.

Around the Network

So if this was the game with Rosa as the main character then I agree.
I can never get the names straight but I am pretty sure FF III for America was my favorite.
I remember my buddy getting me the Jpn game for my double pro fighter.
Ahhh those were the days :)

Current Favorites:
Wii - Muramasa, MH3, Metroid Trilogy, RS2, Okami, RE4, COD, Dead Space, Scarface
PC - L4D, TF2, BFBC2, Killing Floor, Aquaria, Warsow, many UDK indie games
Mods - MechWarrior:Living Legends, Star Wars: Galatic Warfare, PVKII, Goldeneye Source, L4D mods
PS3 - Demon Souls, Way of the Samurai 3
Social Modding Club: ModDb | Steam

DOLBYdigital said:
So if this was the game with Rosa as the main character then I agree.

Rosa is Cecil's girlfriend in FFIV (II in America). Terra is initial character of FFVI (III in America).

FFVI is my favourite. It is being remade for DS, right?? Right?? *whimpers*

Kasz216 said:
largedarryl said:
I really thought FF6 was a better game because of the character development. There were so many characters, and plenty of back story for most of them. This also combined with the lack of a true main character made the game feel different then most FF games (always centered on 1 character).

And how many FF games could be defeated with anywhere from 3 to 12 characters?

Yeah... lack of a single main character is an amazing thing that few games pull off well.

I'm not sure if i can think of another actually.

Still when it comes to absolute character development i'd give the nod to 4 over all other final fantasies.

How they wove the story of redemption through EVERY main character was really a masterpiece.

I completely agree here. While FFVI had some great characters/story and was quite unique in the way it deleloped, it doesn't quite match the coherence used in the telling of FFIV's story and building its characters.

Regardless, I absolutely loved FFVI and would love to have a complete remake of the game. Rarely is a game as memorable as what FFVI was.

Words Of Wisdom said:
largedarryl said:

There are several other creepy characters in FF games, but broken down, Locke is by far one of the most dimented ones.

Explain.

What is there to explain, I would like to hear an example of a more dimented character in any FF game first, because as it stands right now anybody that hold onto dead bodies for extended periods of time(and even have a caretaker look after the body) have really serious issues.