By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The orange box highest rated game of all time?

GooseGaws said:
@naznatips:

It is true that the 360 version may be inferior to the PC version, however, when you compare them to the software available on their respective platforms, the 360 version fares better. Reviews should only be judged against other software available on the same platform.

I don't really get what you mean. The 360 has plenty of quality FPS games. Also, whether you agree with it or not, games are compared to other versions on similar platforms. The PS3 version of Madden was the best Madden on the PS3 but was marked down for not being as good as the 360 version. It seems unfair for the primary platform that this game was built for (and runs best on and has the most content on) to be rated lower than the console version just because websites like Yahoo Games are only going to review the 360 version (since they don't consider the PC relevant) and auto-slap a 5/5 on it.

Around the Network

I agree that games are compared against other platforms in order to determine the best version, but (good) reviews are based against other games available on the same platform. I don't really understand your comment about the PS3 version of Madden being the best Madden on the PS3 (isn't it the best Madden on PS3 by default?), though. Anyway, what I mean is, as these games have not been properly available before on the 360, the package as a whole is more worthwhile for 360 gamers compared to all other 360 games than the PC version is against all other PC games. It's kind of an abstract statement, I know...

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Ah, I see your point I suppose. Although HL2 was released on the Xbox. Not sure if it's covered by the 360's BC though. Anyway, it's not that reviewers are stupid and rating the PC version lower than the 360 version or anything. The 360 version is just getting reviewed by stupid mainstream sites (1UP, Yahoo Games, etc.) that ignore the PC version and don't offer a review at all. Or at least haven't to this point. Since those sites slap on a 10 that pushes' the 360 version's score higher than the PC version ever can reach.

My main problem with this is that people looking to buy the game who own both may think the 360 version runs better and has things the PC version doesn't when it's the other way around. It's misleading to the purchaser.

I see your point regarding someone who was trying to decide which version to purchase. Honestly though, I think that anyone who is a serious PC gamer will buy the PC version; they are usually a tech-savvy bunch. The 360 version will probably sell more to people who wouldn't really find much worth in the extra benefits the PC version offers anyway. I think it is great for these people (myself included) to have the chance to experience this great package on a console.

Hates Nomura.

Oh I'm really glad more people are getting to play these great games. Valve is an amazing developer, and their games have to this point been relatively unnoticed by the console gaming community, despite creating some of the most groundbreaking innovations in the shooter genre. In fact, most of the features that console gamers enjoy in modern FPS games originated from Valve.

My only fear is that this is going to get rejected by PS3 and 360 owners because of its graphics. Valve has always prided art over actual technical power and has always limited the system requirements of their games in order to make them accessible to as many PC gamers as possible while realizing their artistic vision. I'm just worried that with games like Gears of War and Halo 3 the art will go unapreciated due to the lack of raw horsepower.

Around the Network

To be honest, I myself was actually surprised at how similar the 360 version of HL2 looked to the original Xbox version; I was hoping for a bit more of an upgrade there. Still, that's definitely the weakest part of the package graphically. The design of the game itself, however, is virtually unparalleled. If the console gamers can't appreciate it despite minor technical shortcomings, their loss I suppose. I couldn't wait to buy this, and one of the main reasons is that I don't really play PC games ever, but have always been interested in the Half-Life franchise.

Hates Nomura.