By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could the best PES '08 be on..... the Wii? (IGN preview)

I'm not a huge soccer/football fan, so I'm not the best person to analyse this.

IGN have posted a "First Look" at Pro Evolution Soccer '08 on the Wii - and there is a real chance that due to addition of clever Wiimote controls - this could not only be the best version of PES '08 released, this could become the definitive soccer/football title out there:

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/826/826603p1.html

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 First Look
Konami takes the highly-acclaimed series in a radical - and altogether fantastic - direction.

UK, October 11, 2007 - Although the existence of Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on Wii has been widely known for some time, hard facts about the game have been few and far between until now. At a press event in Seville in Spain, Konami lifted the lid on its next-gen Nintendo title, revealing a game that appears to take the series in a dramatic new direction. Indeed, while the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 offer up much the same experience as the PlayStation 2 games of yore, albeit with sharper graphics, the Wii incarnation looks set to push the boundaries of the series.

That's not to say Konami has opted to dumb down Pro Evo by making it more accessible to the Wiimote-waving masses. On the contrary, PES2008 on Wii looks every bit as realistic as its hi-def cousins and, if initial thoughts prove right, it could well offer a greater level of control and freedom in terms of gameplay.

The reason for this is that Konami has cleverly used the Nunchuk and Wiimote to enhanced the gameplay experience rather than bolt on some motion-sensing gimmick. Here, the Nunchuk stick is used to move the player around screen and the B button is used to pass. No big deal you may think, but what's interesting is that the Wiimote appears as a point on the screen, affecting the gameplay in a couple of ways. Firstly, it's an alternative way of moving your player around the screen - drag the cursor around while holding A and your player will follow the on-screen target. Secondly, the cursor is used to accurately pass the ball, so if you want to thread a looping through ball to a winger (rather than the obvious guy standing nearby) simply move the target over the runner's head and press pass.

That's not all. Using the same method, you're free to pass into space and, from the video we've seen), the AI is smart enough to know what you're doing and latch onto the pass, within reason of course.

The Wiimote comes in really useful during setpieces too because you can 'order' off-the-ball players to make runs. Again, simply click the cursor over their heads and then drag in the direction you want them to run. They'll then scuttle off, leaving you to knock in a well-weighted ball they can latch on to. There's no limit to the number of players you can move around either, so there's no reason why a skilled player couldn't send one player off on a dummy run while crossing the ball into the path of a player they've sent in another direction.

Admittedly we've yet to go hands-on with the Wii version of PES 2008 but in theory - and judging by the video - it's looks very promising indeed. We'll have to wait and see just how complicated the controls are, especially in the middle of a frantic midfield tussle, but Konami has at least distilled the authentic essence of PES in its Wii game rather than opting for the obvious - and already tiresome - gimmicks we've seen of late.

I'll leave the comments to others who actually play PES :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I think this was already posted, shams.

wow. sounds pretty cool. Maybe they did what EA should have done with Madden. Instead of taking the ps2 code and porting it to Wii, they took the 360/ps3 code and ported it to wii. Or even better built ground up Wii code and ported that to ps2/others.

sounds great... that looks like some proper use of the WiiMote on sports games. It may offer the best controls ever for a soccer game if they keep building on those ideas.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

That's quite funny because this PES '08 Wii look pretty good for a Wii game, while PES '08 on 360/PS3 look merely better than the PS2 version. It means that the Wii version is the best looking one (despite it's "only" 480p).

Around the Network
Desroko said:
I think this was already posted, shams.

Doh - if someone can pass me the link (I looked for one and couldn't find it?), will happily close this thread and link to the other.

Sorry in advance! 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

OMFG... sound so beautiful T_T the controlling the players with the pointer is just... awesome...

Finally a serious effort by Konami... they have a buyer with me.

Hang on... yeah, just a day or two ago wasn't I saying - Konami - Wii are waiting for you?

Nice start - although to a "multi-platform" title. Heres hoping the game is all it can be, and it actually sells well (for once) on a Ninty platform.

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Umm... Is PES Evolution Soccer 2008 coming to PC as well because the control scheme they described sounds suspiciously like one that would be used with a mouse. In fact it sounds like a pretty standard PC control scheme so it's funny that they would call it radical.

Legend11 yes, it's coming to PC, and no, you can't do all the things described in the video with a mouse.

This game is now on my radar despite the fact I usually consider most football games pretty boring!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957