By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - COD4 looks better on the PS3?

http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/006696.php

"Still, as strong as Call of Duty 4 is shaping up to be in the gameplay department, the most immediately impressive aspect is by far its graphics. The PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions all look surprisingly similar, but that's not due to one platform being the lead; Infinity Ward personally assured us that development occurred simultaneously on all three platforms, and that there wasn't a base system. With that said, the console similarities end when it comes to textures, lighting and resolutions, because those three areas make the PlayStation 3 version definitely excel over the Xbox 360 SKU. Regardless, every console owner will proudly use Call of Duty 4 to showcase their high-definition TV, because COD4 is by far the best-looking console game you will see this year."

Good to see that this won't be a low quality port. :)

Around the Network

So the 360 version of CoD 4 will run at a lower resolution than the PS3 version? I thought it was announced that they'd be running the same resolution.

I find it odd that the PS3 version would have better textures considering that textures are typically memory limited and the 360 has more memory available.  That said, it's very likely they'd just use the same textures across both platforms since they have very similar capabilities in that regard.

I also find it odd that the PS3 version would have superior lighting since additional lighting passes/effects are typically, although not always, fill rate constrained and the 360 has more fill rate than the PS3.

im just glad we're not getting a low quality port.. game looks amazing.. good for all owners pc and 360 owners alike

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

@BigfatJ
Theres more then one resolution when it comes to games. People think of resolution mainly as if its running at 1080i or 720p. But it can also mean resolutions involving textures, character model, what not. Sometimes you'll notice this option in PC games, being able to change the on screen resolution, and have a separate option of changing texture resolutions.

prlatino86 said:
@BigfatJ
Theres more then one resolution when it comes to games. People think of resolution mainly as if its running at 1080i or 720p. But it can also mean resolutions involving textures, character model, what not. Sometimes you'll notice this option in PC games, being able to change the on screen resolution, and have a separate option of changing texture resolutions.

I'm familiar with game development. He listed "resolution" "textures" and "lighting" as three areas. If he was talking about texture detail, he wouldn't have listed resolution seprerately, would he?

Or should we assume he meant audio resolution?

I'm picking his statement apart because he's making a technical claim and it's very ambiguous (resolution of what?). Technical claims should not be ambiguous. The odd thing is that he doesn't have a quote from the devs, and he doesn't say which platform(s) he played the game on. So he likely didn't any differences first hand. He said the PS3 version definitely excels over the xbox 360 version. Odd if he doesn't have a dev quote nor has he played and compared both.

Around the Network

This will be taken back I'm sure...

At least its not a LOW quality port

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

@Big fat J

The ps3 is limited when it comes to textures? Were are you pulling this out from your a$$?

What now your going to say the xbox 360 is the more powerful machine?

mM

@Big fat J

The ps3 is limited when it comes to textures? Were are you pulling this out from your a$$?

mM
leo-j said:
@Big fat J

Of course the PS3 is limited with textures. It would have to have unlimited specs otherwise.

As for more powerful, that depends. If you look at the specs, the sytems have certain abilities over the other. In terms of overall power the Cell has the most, with proper use of the SPEs, but the 360 has more overall RAM, with a slightly stronger GPU. Therefore, the 360 is not more powerful, but it will be close.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs