By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Bayley's sooo cute!

Around the Network

So the WWE has hit a new low mark yet again with a 2.33.

The promotion is slowly dying. A 6.0 rating in 1999, a 4.0 in 2006, a 3.0 in 2014, and now down in the 2.35 range.

Meanwhile, the WWE's World Heavyweight Champion is 2-13 during September and October. He's being presented as a mid-carder who doesn't deserve the belt. I have no idea why the WWE thinks making Rollins look like a loser would interest anyone.

The question is, are they going to do anything about to stop the slide? Is putting Kane back in the title picture their answer? Maybe Kane will win and he can defend against the Big Show? That would be fresh and exciting.

The WWE is in trouble.

pokoko said:

The promotion is slowly dying. A 6.0 rating in 1999, a 4.0 in 2006, a 3.0 in 2014, and now down in the 2.35 range.

Meanwhile, the WWE's World Heavyweight Champion is 2-13 during September and October. He's being presented as a mid-carder who doesn't deserve the belt. I have no idea why the WWE thinks making Rollins look like a loser would interest anyone.

The question is, are they going to do anything about to stop the slide? Is putting Kane back in the title picture their answer? Maybe Kane will win and he can defend against the Big Show? That would be fresh and exciting.

The WWE is in trouble.

Wow!  Is that even lower than two weeks ago?  I know that the WWE says that they don't care about ratings, but watch what happens if it drops below 2.0.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
pokoko said:

The WWE is in trouble.

Wow!  Is that even lower than two weeks ago?  I know that the WWE says that they don't care about ratings, but watch what happens if it drops below 2.0.

It's the lowest since 1997.  They did have baseball to deal with monday night but that happens every year.  They're going to have to care eventually.  RAW is shedding viewers without bringing in new viewers to replace them.  Yeah, they're more a tshirt/toy company than a wrestling company at this point but who is going to buy those tshirts and toys in the future if no one is watching the programming?

pokoko said:
amp316 said:

It's the lowest since 1997.  They did have baseball to deal with monday night but that happens every year.  They're going to have to care eventually.  RAW is shedding viewers without bringing in new viewers to replace them.  Yeah, they're more a tshirt/toy company than a wrestling company at this point but who is going to buy those tshirts and toys in the future if no one is watching the programming?

They need to hire back Vince Russo.  I guarantee that a Judy Bagwell on a pole match would outdraw an eight man tag match with two commercial breaks during it....

Does anyone remember when wrestlers used to have gimmicks, there were storylines, and wrestlers actually looked like wrestlers?  Oh, and they were actually called wrestlers and not sports entertainers.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
pokoko said:
BasilZero said:

I think they are taking it too far with the breaking character.

How many times do we need to see a "Clique" moment. They need a mega heel for the diva division and Paige/Bella twins arent really mega heel potential imo ;(

I don't blame Sasha.  Her heel work during the match was awesome.  I think they surprised her at the end, though, with the flowers.  Still, that was special.  I mean, you know, that was beyond what we've come to expect with "Diva" matches in the WWE, so I'm fine with them saying, "goddamn, that was awesome, here are some flowers."  Because, really, when was the last time you got a match like that from divas?  Blaze vs. Bull Nakano?  It wasn't on RAW, so I'm fine with it.  Sasha is the real thing.  She is a star in the making.  Give her all the flowers in the entire bloody world because she deserves them.  She might be my favorite wrestler right now, which is amazing.  A female wrestler up there with Styles or Nakamura?  Sounds crazy, yeah, but it's true.

I don't disagree about Sasha and bayley deserving it but I think that breaking kayfabe all the time after those great matches diminishes the impact of them, at least for me. I mean it was okay after the first match, they turned it around with Sasha admitting that it was a great match but it was stained for her because she lost. Now they had a great match again but she also lost again. She should have been furious regardless of the quality or historic impact of the match. I really wanted her to throw the flowers down and storm out of the arena. Keep kayfabe alive please.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

The biggest problem with WWE is that there's way too many execs who shouldn't be employed trying to keep their jobs. They spend more time on marketing stats than on the actual show. Kinda like a television station showing nothing but commercials to make money, but not actually making money because no one's watching their station. The only solution I think for WWE right now is to literally change everything. NXTify Raw and Smackdown, but make them different from each other. Get rid of everyone over 40 and use them sparingly. In a way, I shouldn't be able to recognize anyone, it needs to be fresh. The product has stagnated way to long. It's been what? 10 years since the Raw/Smackdown set changed to the crap that it is now?

darkknightkryta said:
The biggest problem with WWE is that there's way too many execs who shouldn't be employed trying to keep their jobs. They spend more time on marketing stats than on the actual show. Kinda like a television station showing nothing but commercials to make money, but not actually making money because no one's watching their station. The only solution I think for WWE right now is to literally change everything. NXTify Raw and Smackdown, but make them different from each other. Get rid of everyone over 40 and use them sparingly. In a way, I shouldn't be able to recognize anyone, it needs to be fresh. The product has stagnated way to long. It's been what? 10 years since the Raw/Smackdown set changed to the crap that it is now?

Much of the WWE's current production setup was ripped from WCW.  They copied it because they were being destroyed back then and have barely updated since.  They need to evaluate EVERYTHING and change most of it.  All they really care about now is how to sell merchandise, though, while the actual product rots.

However, part of me wonders if they aren't moving to make NXT a lot bigger and a rival to RAW.  Triple H, at least, isn't blind to what's going on in the rest of the industry, with places like PWG and Evolve killing it in terms of entertainment.  In fact, they keep mentioning Evolve and Zack Sabre Jr is mentioned in a WWE tweet, which is just insane.  I freaking love ZSJ but I can't imagine Vince would ever let someone who looks like him within 10 miles of RAW.

WWEVerified account

‏@WWE

Is Evolve Wrestling’s @zacksabrejr the next @WWENXT breakout star? Full story: http://wwe.me/TrnWP  @BookItGabe 

If anyone has never seen Zack, he's probably the best technical wrestler in the world but he looks like he walked in off the street.

pokoko said:
darkknightkryta said:

Much of the WWE's current production setup was ripped from WCW.  They copied it because they were being destroyed back then and have barely updated since.  They need to evaluate EVERYTHING and change most of it.  All they really care about now is how to sell merchandise, though, while the actual product rots.

However, part of me wonders if they aren't moving to make NXT a lot bigger and a rival to RAW.  Triple H, at least, isn't blind to what's going on in the rest of the industry, with places like PWG and Evolve killing it in terms of entertainment.  In fact, they keep mentioning Evolve and Zack Sabre Jr is mentioned in a WWE tweet, which is just insane.  I freaking love ZSJ but I can't imagine Vince would ever let someone who looks like him within 10 miles of RAW.

WWEVerified account

‏@WWE

Is Evolve Wrestling’s @zacksabrejr the next @WWENXT breakout star? Full story: http://wwe.me/TrnWP  @BookItGabe 

If anyone has never seen Zack, he's probably the best technical wrestler in the world but he looks like he walked in off the street.

Well that's what I was trying to get at.  Everything needs to be evaluated but there are too many people, in high positions, who don't understand.

Someone left a really interesting post on wreddit that made a graphical comparison of Edge and Cena in terms of win/loss ratio during thier WWE careers.  It's both sad and hilarious.  

--------------------

A few days back I posted this thread on a graphical representation of Seth Rollins wins/losses. I figured I would continue this with another post, this time comparing John Cena and Edge.

I did this by starting with their debut televised match and progressing through time. The way this works is that they begin their WWE career with a win/loss record = 0. Each win will give them an extra point. Each loss decreases their value by 1. So if they go into a match with a cumulative total of 10 and lose that match their value becomes 9. I used the Internet Wrestling Database as a data source and only considered televised matches to prevent the face winning at live events skew.  (Continue reading)