By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Any ppv in Toronto

Around the Network
pokoko said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said. But about the bolded, the audience sometimes fucks over great matches as well. They don't always make the right "choices". I still don't understand why Rey Mysterio is getting booed so much. He's been pretty consistent and done nothing to generate the recent string of boos he's been getting. Also when the crowd started chanting "CM Punk" in Shield matches and "Husky Harris" in Bray Wyatt matches it got really annoying.

Other than that they've been pretty good in representing what the fans truly want. The last Raw was the best in a long time and while I know not every Raw will be that good I do hope they continue in the trend in at least listening to the fans.

I mostly agree and it's a shame about Rey.  At the same time, though, I kind of understand that, too.  The first part wasn't his fault, he was just caught in the wrong time at the wrong place and fans were venting over the WWE being stupid.  However, I think people have gotten tired of him doing the same exact things in the ring that he did 10 years ago.  I've also seen him, twice since he came back, beg not to be hit then launch a sneak attack--that's a classic heel move.

CM Punk chants during good matches have gotten annoying but I don't mind the "Husky Harris" or "Albert" chants--it's up to the character to make the audience forget those characters, which is exactly what "Bray Wyatt" has done.

Of course, I also absolutely hate "what" chants and wish that had never started at all.

The real question is why Kane isn't getting "isaaac Yankem!" chants.

TheGoldenBoy said:
Kasz216 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Cena had the perfect chance to turn hell at Wrestlemania against Wyatt. I guess that's why the match was so disappointing to me. I understand that he is a cash cow and that the kids love him but if Hogan, Steve Austin, The Rock, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, etc.  could all go heel, so can John Cena. Besides with Bryan at the top there is no better time for a heel turn.

To be fair, Hogan didn't go heel until after he lost his relevence somewhat in WCW, Michaels and Hart were better natural heels and Austin and Rock's heel runs kinda sucked (at least imo).

The problem with Cena turning heel is...  I' not sure how he can do it.   He pulled off the white ganster rapper heel... ok... for what it was...

but an Evil Cena is like an Evil Superman.  Without his principles there really isn't anything there outside the overwhelminng power... and if you take that away...  

What does a heel Cena even look like?

What sells a heel Cena?   People hate Cena now, but for the same reasons they hate Superman.  He's a goody goody that defies all odds and always wins.

Turn Cena heel and he loses everything that gets him heel heat.

It's like when everyone started cheering for the sadistic version of Randy Orton.  As soon as they turned him face he lost most of his appeal because that sadistic side was what sold him, and he couldn't punt people in the head anymore.  

The only way I could see you turning him heel is if he just betrays the fans... then still constantly wins and gets put over like current Super Cena... while focusing soley on "Hustle" and just being all smug about how he keeps winning.

While using the occasional heel trick to win... though generallly going over clean even against big guys.

The era we are in right now crowd reactions aren't the same. Fans don't boo heels and cheer faces, they cheer and boo whoever they want. The Shield and the Wyatts both got cheered when they were supposed to be heel and faces like John Cena and Batista got booed. Paul Heyman was booed in the beginning of the show and Lesnar's manager but was suddenly cheered as Cesaro's. I think Cena would get booed regardless of face or heel, especially depending on the opponent.

As for what a heel Cena looks like: I have no idea. But I do want to see it and see what angle WWE takes it. It could be as simple as Cena being angry with the fact that he feels he hasn't gotten the respect and loyalty he deserves for everything he has done in the WWE. He's tired of making people happy when they don't give him what he deserves. I'm not sure but that's the simplest approach I can think of at the moment.

I'm not sure why you think that changes my point... that was actually a very crucial part of my point.

My point was that faces and heels are written differently, and that often what draws fans to a character when they are a heel is often a product of there booking.

As such, whenever they turn a Face Heel, or Heel face... there is a chance that characters popularity diminishes because part of what they liked about the character was tied into that dynamic.

Why do some fans hate John Cena?  Because he always wins clean over overwhelming odds.

Heel's NEVER win clean in the modern WWE.  

Superfans boo "Super Cena" harder then they would "Evil Cena".

As long as Cena is relevent he will make more sense as a face.

Some people are just MADE to play a Heel or a Face.

His current role of being a "Gatekeeper" to lower level heels where a fued kinda shows a rising point is perfect for him.
Really he needs his own "Bobby the Brain Henan" or "Ted Dibiase" like Hogan had.
Where new talent is developed and given exposure by facing Cena... even if Cena does go over.
That he is super cena, and that a heel does well against him is all that's needed.  Then down the line they can give someone an "Undertaker Push" here or there...

d21lewis said:
Watching 2006's ECW One Night Stand on WWE Network. Best crowd, EVER!! It's a magical experience so far.

Anybody want to make a list of must see PPV's?

That's tough for me, as I never had access to PPVs until recently, so I've mostly only seen individual matches.

Off the top of my head, I'd say:

Chi-Town Rumble 1989 - Steamboat vs. Flair was incredible and Lugar vs. Windham was very good (mostly because of Windham's storytelling).  Windham had a really good run as US Champ.

Spring Stampede 1999 - Sting vs. Flair vs. DDP vs. Hogan with Savage as the ref.  A lot of fun, and a good showing by Sting, though probably made better by the fact that it was mostly a three-way with Hogan doing little.  It also had Kidman, whom I loved, vs. Rey, and Benoit/Malenko vs. Raven/Saturn.

WrestleMania 20 - Benoit vs. HHH vs. Michaels is just fantastic.  It also had Guerrero vs. Angle and Evolution vs. Rock/Foley.  Awesome ending.

WrestleMania 21 - Michaels vs. Angle in one of the best pure matches I've ever seen, plus the first Money in the Bank match, which was also fantastic.

pokoko said:
d21lewis said:
Watching 2006's ECW One Night Stand on WWE Network. Best crowd, EVER!! It's a magical experience so far.

Anybody want to make a list of must see PPV's?

That's tough for me, as I never had access to PPVs until recently, so I've mostly only seen individual matches.

Chi-Town Rumble 1989 - Steamboat vs. Flair was incredible and Lugar vs. Windham was very good (mostly because of Windham's storytelling).  Windham had a really good run as US Champ.

Spring Stampede 1999 - Sting vs. Flair vs. DDP vs. Hogan with Savage as the ref.  A lot of fun, and a good showing by Sting, though probably made better by the fact that it was mostly a three-way with Hogan doing little.  It also had Kidman, whom I loved, vs. Rey, and Benoit/Malenko vs. Raven/Saturn.

WrestleMania 20 - Benoit vs. HHH vs. Michaels is just fantastic.  It also had Guerrero vs. Angle and Evolution vs. Rock/Foley.  Awesome ending.

WrestleMania 21 - Michaels vs. Angle in one of the best pure matches I've ever seen, plus the first Money in the Bank match, which was also fantastic.

Its funny, because until Wrestlemania 20, I didnt think triple threats worked as a Main Event.

Around the Network
FDARaptor said:
pokoko said:

Its funny, because until Wrestlemania 20, I didnt think triple threats worked as a Main Event.

It is true that a lot of three-way and four-way matches aren't very good.  I think it takes a lot of skill and effort to make them work.  They also need to have a good measure of storytelling and build going in or they can turn into a mess.  However, when they work, they can be amazing.  The Styles vs. Daniels vs. Samoa Joe matches are another example and some of the best matches I've ever seen.

I wish TNA would strike some type of deal and become part of the WWE Network. You guys reminded me of some great matches when Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles, and Samoa Joe would go head to head. Wouldn't mind seeing those guys in their prime again.

d21lewis said:
I wish TNA would strike some type of deal and become part of the WWE Network. You guys reminded me of some great matches when Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles, and Samoa Joe would go head to head. Wouldn't mind seeing those guys in their prime again.

Don't forget teams like America's Most Wanted, Triple X, and Beer Money.  TNA once had some of the best tag team matches in the history of professional wrestling.  Oh, and absolutely insane stuff like this:

Those King of the Mountain matches were actually a lot of fun.

pokoko said:
d21lewis said:

Don't forget teams like America's Most Wanted, Triple X, and Beer Money.  TNA once had some of the best tag team matches in the history of professional wrestling.  Oh, and absolutely insane stuff like this:

HOLY SHIT!!  

d21lewis said:
pokoko said:
d21lewis said:

HOLY SHIT!!  

This was a monster's ball match with abyss vs jeff hardy vs rhino vs sabu. Shit was extreme. 

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share