By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Shelton Benjamin the most underrated WWE star ever....... >.

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

Around the Network

ah Wrestling. I'm trying to stay interested but it's hard. I've always liked the silly storylines and watching guys beat the hell out of each other is great regardless of the supposed homoerotic overtones.

As I watch, though, it becomes evident that I missed some awesome shit back in the day. I stopped watching sometime in 2004...and between then and my return (Wrestlemania 2011)....turns out I totally missed the rise of one of my favorite wrestlers: Edge. Jeff Hardy is gone and he was one of my favorites as well, and Jericho was nowhere to be found....and now that Jericho's back, he's boring as hell.

What happened? there are no gimmicks, to the untrained eye they all look the same, and god...why do they all wear speedoes? I remember when Jericho wore pants, had long hair, and was a high flyer. Now he's just boring. Orton has a tonne of skill but he keeps getting injured or underused. Punk is awesome, but he doesn't strike me as "WWE title" material, he should be fighting for Intercontinental or US championship, leave the big titles to the physically big guys. They call it 'heavyweight' champion for a reason.

It's weird, something is amiss in the WWE, yet I keep tuning in in the hopes it gets interesting.

At least Sheamus is awesome. I love watching him flip out.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

BasilZero said:
Anyone planning to watch the PPV tonight for WWE ;O?

I am....tomorrow :P

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

BasilZero said:
Anyone planning to watch the PPV tonight for WWE ;O?

I am seriously considering it.  I can order it and watch it in the living room where the DVR is and record it forever but risk (not even risk--it's almost guaranteed) my GF constantly interupting me or I can order it in the game room with the bigger TV and enjoy it but if I miss something, I miss it.  Or, there's plan C:  Steal it from the internet tomorrow.  I want to order it, though.

I just can't afford it...and being the only person in the house who watches it, I wouldn't be able to justify the...what, 50 bucks it costs? I'll be pirating it. I've pirated every PPV in the last year or so, and none were even remotely close to being worth even 30 bucks, let alone the more expensive prices they demand.

this, my friends, is why piracy exists. 10 bucks? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 20? I'd seriously consider, but I'd rather buy games. 30+? not happening.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
I just can't afford it...and being the only person in the house who watches it, I wouldn't be able to justify the...what, 50 bucks it costs? I'll be pirating it. I've pirated every PPV in the last year or so, and none were even remotely close to being worth even 30 bucks, let alone the more expensive prices they demand.

this, my friends, is why piracy exists. 10 bucks? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 20? I'd seriously consider, but I'd rather buy games. 30+? not happening.

Yeah, I agree.  The only PPV I think was worth the money in the past year was Elimination Chamber 2011 and whichever PPV it was that Punk left with the title.  There have been some good ones and some awful ones, but for $50, it has to be guaranteed excellence.  Too much of a risk.  It just happens that I get my tax return, bonus check, and I've been working a lot of overtime so my next check should be humongous.  I'm just gonna treat myself.  It would be hard to justify the cost if it weren't for all of the excess.  I still may just wait until tomorrow and download it from the net.  If I get it, it will be on impulse.

On an unrelated note, where the heck is SPDK1!?

I didn't want to get Elimination Chamber, but some others in the house did so I guess we're ordering it. To me it seems like a filler PPV. However I will be watching and I DEFINITELY will be getting WM28 too see The Rock whoop on some fruit pebbles.

I don't think i've ever paid for a pay per view. Maybe the off Royal Rumble.

I mean, back when I was a kid it made sense....

70-80% of Upper card matches were "Upper Card guy destroys Jobber."

The closest you'd see to the big guys facing at the pay per view going after each other was a tag match of two different upper card rivals.

Now a days it's pretty much all stuff you'll see anyway for free, while the important stuff will be recapped.

EC is kinda special but not enough.

Now if they ever held a traditional Survival series PPV... all elimination matches with one survivors battle at the end of the night....

that i might buy. Even then though at $50 bucks? Way to high for 1 nights entertainment.

what happened to the days when it was like...GOOD tag champion matches. Who the fuck are epico and primo? who the fuck are the usos? what happened to awesome tag teams that had charisma and co-op skill like Edge and Christian, the hardys, dudleys, etc. the tag title used to MEAN something and was my favorite division, followed by the Hardcore division.

And we've got Cody Rhodes with the intercontinental championship while fighting for the WWE championship? What the hell?

we need more people like Santino, a good wrestler and a lot of fun to watch.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Kasz216 said:
I don't think i've ever paid for a pay per view. Maybe the off Royal Rumble.

I mean, back when I was a kid it made sense....

70-80% of Upper card matches were "Upper Card guy destroys Jobber."

The closest you'd see to the big guys facing at the pay per view going after each other was a tag match of two different upper card rivals.

Now a days it's pretty much all stuff you'll see anyway for free, while the important stuff will be recapped.

that i might buy. Even then though at $50 bucks? Way to high for 1 nights entertainment.

You must not go to the movies very often........

But I agree with you.  Pay per views have lost their glow.  Like you said, back in the day, a two hour show was basically:  The One Man Gang vs.  Bob Smith.  One Man Gang woud DESTROY that Jobber--sometimes, two at once--and you'd be in awe.  "What's it going to take to beat this guy!?", you'd think.  Then, when you found out that he was facing Hulk Hogan at the PPV, you'd go crazy wondering who was going to win.  You almost never saw the champ in action.  He was almost a mythical figure.  You'd see the results of the PPV and see how Macho Man just faced the Ultimate Warrior or something.  You'd see the mid-card guy on the rise, but once they reached a certain level, you only saw them when they cut a promo or were on the PPV.

Now, as you mentioned, you get PPV quality stuff for free.  Sometimes, a wrestler will win a title or something at the PPV and then, the next day, they'd have a championship rematch FOR FREE on Monday Night Raw.  Often, the title would even change hands!  Just a few weeks ago, we saw what could have been a match of the year candidate when Daniel Bryan faced CM Punk in a Champion vs. Champion match.  This was all for free!!

I tend to fool myself into thinking that the two PPV's leading up to Wrestlemania and Wrestlemania itself are a bigger deal.  It's like how the Superbowl is just another football game but the stakes are suddenly higher.  I miss the days when there was only four or five PPV's a year and they were truly events.  It had to be the way it is, now.  If WCW hadn't started giving it away for free (I believe they were the ones that increased the number of PPV's, too), a PPV would still mean something.  Two "real" wrestlers would still be special.

I wish a televised WWE show consisted of a few matches where the mid card destroyed a jobber.  A couple of matches with lower card wrestlers going head to head in a really competitive match.  And finally, a match where an upper card wrestler faced an upper card wrestler.  Somewhere in there, let the Champ cut a promo.  Let the heel cut a promo.  NEVER let the champ wrestle on TV.  But we've been spoiled.  It'll never be that way, again.