By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The official Gran Turismo 5 thread

Oniichan said:
ultima said:
Look at the very first animated gif of the first post on this page. Thanks to the AI arsehole the player lost the front bumper, broke the door, popped the hood, and who knows what mechanical parts got damaged. That's what I'm saying PD should fix.

You cant judge the way the AI behave off that first animated gif for a simple reason.

Think of that situation in real life. They are on Tokyo city circuit at a section that is a blind high speed S bend when entering it. The evo is taking at speed the fastest line through the S's (racing line) while the subaru has crashed and is parked in the middle of the racing line. If this happened in real life the same situation would occur. The evo would slam up the rear end of the subaru cause there is no time to brake and no way to avoid the colision without putting himself into the wall. Hence the result would be the same as what we see there.

BUT with that said we have to wait until we see more gameplay footage (mostly from TGS) and have the game in our hands before we can actually say the AI is the same.

Some guys from GTPlanet were lucky enough to be at gamescom and said they were surprised by how aggressive the AI are now and said be ready for a more challenging experience.

What about the second gif, where the player is slowing down to take the turn when the other car (RX7?) hits him? At least the other car spun out, that's a step in the right direction.

Around the Network
ultima said:
Oniichan said:
ultima said:
Look at the very first animated gif of the first post on this page. Thanks to the AI arsehole the player lost the front bumper, broke the door, popped the hood, and who knows what mechanical parts got damaged. That's what I'm saying PD should fix.

You cant judge the way the AI behave off that first animated gif for a simple reason.

Think of that situation in real life. They are on Tokyo city circuit at a section that is a blind high speed S bend when entering it. The evo is taking at speed the fastest line through the S's (racing line) while the subaru has crashed and is parked in the middle of the racing line. If this happened in real life the same situation would occur. The evo would slam up the rear end of the subaru cause there is no time to brake and no way to avoid the colision without putting himself into the wall. Hence the result would be the same as what we see there.

BUT with that said we have to wait until we see more gameplay footage (mostly from TGS) and have the game in our hands before we can actually say the AI is the same.

Some guys from GTPlanet were lucky enough to be at gamescom and said they were surprised by how aggressive the AI are now and said be ready for a more challenging experience.

What about the second gif, where the player is slowing down to take the turn when the other car (RX7?) hits him? At least the other car spun out, that's a step in the right direction.

The cars in Forza do the same thing, except they do it intentionally >_>

@ ultima -  ill give you that one, but like you said at least they fixed how the AI reacts by spinning out and crashing themselves.

Thats why its hard to tell if the AI has been improve a bit (which we can confirm a tad) or if its been improved drastically which at this point doesnt appear so. Until we get to play the game we wont know ourselves and can only pass judgement on cam jobs.

Well AI was my biggest (actually only) complaint with GT4. But with game patches possible this gen, it could probably be fixed later anyway (if it's not fixed in the first place). Just bring the goddamn game already!

awesome animated gifs

I don't think it's still 200k polys per car for the premium cars now that they have to model from under the hood all the way to the rear suspension.

Around the Network

just one question :

now we know not all cars will have dammage (according to IGN preview)

but do we know WHICH type of car will have dammage and how many ?

the 170 news cars ? only the race cars ?

also, no weather/nightdaycycle confirmed ? or not ?

Time to Work !

yeah i think the game is more then 200k polys per car now due to all the extra bits and bobs (detailed parts that can come off and reveal the cars frame, suspension modelling, dints, etc). I think we all have to wait 1 more month (TGS) until we get what we want. Information and a release date!

libellule said:
just one question :

From that IGN interview we did learn that not all cars will feature damage. My guess is that damage will only be restricted to Rally cars/events and nascar. But we dont know for sure how far it may go. It could even be damage for race cars like the Raybrig NSX etc.

So there is no offical word on which cars will have it and how many yet.

Weather/day&night cycles are not confirmed yet either. Nothing has been mentioned or confirmed. Only some leaked info which was worded strangely even for the Japanese and some videos from gamescom. So until TGS comes around all people can do is speculate on what it may and may not have.

Oniichan said:
libellule said:
just one question :

From that IGN interview we did learn that not all cars will feature damage. My guess is that damage will only be restricted to Rally cars/events and nascar. But we dont know for sure how far it may go. It could even be damage for race cars like the Raybrig NSX etc.

So there is no offical word on which cars will have it and how many yet.

Weather/day&night cycles are not confirmed yet either. Nothing has been mentioned or confirmed. Only some leaked info which was worded strangely even for the Japanese and some videos from gamescom. So until TGS comes around all people can do is speculate on what it may and may not have.

i think its pretty much a givin that day and night is for each track, it was in gt2 after all...

@toastboy44562 - there will definitely be night. day and possibly sunset/dawn races but we dont know if it will actual day/night cycles. If they feature the le mans 24 hr race we can only assume that it will include day/night cycles.

The game is going to look beautiful at night on the Tokyo highway circuit. Also if you notice in the vids the Subaru has its headlights on. *wink* *wink*