By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's Official, PS3 slim announced

Dallinor said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
IllegalPaladin said:

Now here are some real images of the fat and slim PS3 side by side. Right click and view image to see full size.

Yeah... that's not as small as I thought they were going for... also anyone else notice the lack of of holes for venting heat? I'm not certain about that, does anyone know if it's still cooled by a fan and/or has the power brick like the PS2 slim?  They gotta keep that fan for sure I'm guessing.

Also when it comes out whoever is getting it should do some power tests to see how much less power it consumes over the phat.

Well the official statement is that it uses 34% less power consumption.

The specs sheet say around 250w.

Around the Network

Maxwell, for someone who has very little interest and was never going to buy it anyways, you sure seem awfully concerned with putting it down.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Heh, even the leaked boxart back around E3 was real. Here's an unboxing of the slim with a comparison of a fat PS3.

Question, where is the hard drive bay? I haven't seen any indication of one in the pics of the console released thus far.

Specs? Price? Great!

Design? Meh... no, pretty ugly.

But its good, good move, for the industry!!!

Around the Network

Check out an image of the front of the Slim and look under the disk slot. That looks like it's the new location of the hard drive.

Engadget confirms it and has an image

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/playstation-3-slim-unboxing-and-hands-on/

HAH

Lol @ everyone who thought this wasn't true

NJ5 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
Here is some more info on the Slim with fine details. Say goodbye to installing Linux though.

http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/news/articles/detail/item229653/Entertainment-on-PS3-has-a-new-look/

Where does it say you can't install linux? I searched for linux on the page and nothing came up.

That's just irritating... one of the few reasons for me to get a PS3 was actually Cell development with linux (and I have the posts to prove it).

So buy an 80GB at the current price of $299 before they're gone.

greenmedic88 said:
NJ5 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
Here is some more info on the Slim with fine details. Say goodbye to installing Linux though.

http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/news/articles/detail/item229653/Entertainment-on-PS3-has-a-new-look/

Where does it say you can't install linux? I searched for linux on the page and nothing came up.

That's just irritating... one of the few reasons for me to get a PS3 was actually Cell development with linux (and I have the posts to prove it).

So buy an 80GB at the current price of $299 before they're gone.

I will do that but I'll buy a used one, hopefully for less than 200 €. Right now I have too many expenses since I'm moving to a new house in a few days and also saving up for a car.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

axumblade said:
megaman79 said:
axumblade said:
megaman79 said:
SciFiBoy said:
people really complained about the big PS3's apperance?

ive always liked the big PS3, always thought it was the best looking console this gen too.

No one ever asked my opinion but yes, it was too big and looking at its replacement makes it bleedingly obvious.

But the thing is, you aren't simply saying that one looks hideous and then saying the new one looks hideous (in comparison to what is now being referred to as the "sleek ps3") as a "reason" for not wanting to get a ps3 slim. ;)

head explodes

Basically, I'm saying at least you're sticking with your original story about thinking the original was ugly. If they'd say both are ugly, I'd have more respect for them, but there are some people who are going from saying the old one looked like a grill to saying the old one is nice.

Not me: I still say the old one looked like a Tefal Grill, this one is nicer, although I'd have preferred a more squared design, like PS2, both fat and slim. But maybe the curved top has a purpose: making sure that nothing can be put on top of it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!