By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 Failure Rate is 54.2 Percent

Black RL said:
@CGI, yes the price is lower than the PS3. But how about the installed base? PS2 and PS1 CRUSH the installed base of XBOX1.

And although the 360 dies it stills outsells the PS3. SONY did something WRONG. I have my opinion about that (I'm a PS1, PS2 and PS3 owner, but I spent my time and money in the 360) but I will keep it for now.

Fanboys (the name people use in the internet) can say what they want, but the 360 will continue to sell and we will continue to love it.

I advise people to TEST LIVE, to grab some friends and test it for a couple of months. Then you can talk about the PS3 (if you still use it by then).

We are attached to friends, we are attached to LIVE, we are attached to our games. The hardware it's just an interface. If it's broke it has to be fixed, that's all.

That bolded red part is where I stopped reading.

That line is so ridiculous beyond words.

Around the Network

i am glad i didn't buy 360.
=).

PlaystaionGamer said:
disolitude said:
Even if failure rate is 100%...MS took care of the problem.

Usually you get 3 months of free live and a repaired console for 3 years. So yeah...these threads need to end.

no, crap hardware needs to end!

It's funny this is the reverse situation from last gen...Sony had a really high failure rate with their ps2 and didn't have a warranty...so u had to buy a new one, while the Xbox has a low failure rate  (mines still work to this day) and had a 1 year warranty at least.....

COKTOE said:
Count me among the 3.8% that don't repeatedly bend over for MS and actually hold them accountable for the travesty of engineering that is the 360. Sold mine in April 07'. Plan on buying another MS console on or around the 12th of never.

Absolutely this.

bigdom2786 said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
disolitude said:
Even if failure rate is 100%...MS took care of the problem.

Usually you get 3 months of free live and a repaired console for 3 years. So yeah...these threads need to end.

no, crap hardware needs to end!

It's funny this is the reverse situation from last gen...Sony had a really high failure rate with their ps2 and didn't have a warranty...so u had to buy a new one, while the Xbox has a low failure rate  (mines still work to this day) and had a 1 year warranty at least.....

well too bad sony got it right this time, 360 its not fighting the PS2 (at least not outside japan xD), but the ps3 and the wii now.

and ps3 it's built like a tank, and reliable so it's the wii.

seriously why people like to bring the ps2?, i seen ONE article launch ps2 had lens problems, but it could be fixed by cleaning the lens and sony rectify the problem after a year.

360 failure its complete dead console RROD, scratchs discs, and ALSO lens problems, upscaler chip or e74.

seriously same thing happen to GM, its survive mainly due strong sales in america only, now depression hit, gas it's more expensive. and people going for high mileage japanese cars, like toyota, honda and nissan.

if it wasn't microsoft funding xbox division with windows/office money from the monopoly they would be long gone now, like pontiac(GM), Ford (who survive mainly because mazda its good) and chryler (that never being good).

Around the Network

5000 people isn't much

4 ≈ One

A survey isn't the same as hard data... only MS has that. Remember that there is a psychology behind how surveys operate... the most frustrated users, i.e. - those who have experienced failures, are the most likely to respond. Users who have never experienced a failure are less likely to respond.

I think it's a given that the Wii and PS3 have low failure rates, so I'm not surprised to see the low survey numbers.

Still, you can't extrapolate accurately from a survey...

crumas2 said:
A survey isn't the same as hard data... only MS has that. Remember that there is a psychology behind how surveys operate... the most frustrated users, i.e. - those who have experienced failures, are the most likely to respond. Users who have never experienced a failure are less likely to respond.

I think it's a given that the Wii and PS3 have low failure rates, so I'm not surprised to see the low survey numbers.

Still, you can't extrapolate accurately from a survey...

well numbers are repeating here in "post your 360".  and many had 2-3 times and survey don't count that.

Well it's not an SRS right?

Throwing to one side the hopelessly flawed fact this is taking one demographic of people who read one media site as a statistic I think for certain early models the failure rate is higher than what they say. I fix at least a hundred 360's each week and almost certainly I'd bet its close to two thirds of Xenon model 360's will red ring inside the 3 years. The Falcons were a big improvement, with their better DVD drives and reduced board flexing with the revised chassis but still not great. The new Jaspers I've seen so far have all been fine so I suspect they will be closer to a more normal failure rate.

There is no denying the 360 was dreadfully designed, there is no excuse for Microsoft and it's certainly not worth defending them even with their extended warranty for the defects. The important factor now is that Microsoft give the best customer service possible to those with issues and continue to improve the design to stop it occuring in future.

As a side note the PS3 failure rates are on the increase now as the early type 1 bluray lasers die off and YLOD rears it's ugly head. The 10% failure rate is more in line with my experiences than the often quoted