By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wii Sports Resort lifting up Wii HW?

doubt it =)!!!

Around the Network
stof said:
MidnightRider85 said:
Mr Khan said:

"Not yet. Come back in 6-8 weeks"

-Iwata

Well, in 6 to 8 weeks, they will most likely see that WSR isn't really lifting Wii sales that much, so they'll plan to have WSR as the new bundled game with the Wii along with Wii Motion + and a new price point of $225.00 that will lift the Wii up through the holidays and result in WSR ending up with impressive sales data at the end of the day.

Looks to me like it has impressive sales data at the start of the day.

Not really.  It didn't even lift the Wii over PSP in Japan.  It took MH3 to do that.  And, I don't think Wii console sales have been over 300,000 a week since its release.  EDIT:  The July 26th to August 2 week it was over 340,000 (probably MH3's first week), but last week it was back down around 250,000 range, and it will probably be going down in future weeks until closer to the holidays unless Nintendo makes some adjustments somewhere.  For all the talk about these games getting big boosts after they've been out 6 to 8 weeks, it really hasn't held true for many of their games since MK Wii and Wii Fit were released.  None of the high profile games since then have really had extended bumps.  Punchout, etc, none had big bumps after they were out 6 to 8 weeks.

@Midnightrider: Punch-Out!! was never supposed to be a hardware seller though.. The last two games that were supposed to be hardware sellers were Wii Music and Animal Crossing and they both underperformed.

Also saying that Wii hardware is going back to what it was is silly considering it hasn't been 6 - 8 weeks. In about 8 weeks time, just as Wii Sports Resort should be hitting it's stride, Wii Fit Plus releases in Japan and around the rest of the word shortly after. Then Nintendo have New Super Mario Bros. Wii about a month after that.

Add to that the fact that this will be the first holiday season that Wii is not supply constrained and you can see why Nintendo held it's projections steady.

So... did WSR bombed? I think it did. There were no headlines saying it sold 10M.

I think Nintendo would be wise to remove Wii Sports from the Wii and replace it with WSR from Christmas onwards. That would definitely give a boost to the hardware.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Around the Network
Galaki said:
So... did WSR bombed? I think it did. There were no headlines saying it sold 10M.

Yeah, that sucks.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

puffy said:
@Midnightrider: Punch-Out!! was never supposed to be a hardware seller though.. The last two games that were supposed to be hardware sellers were Wii Music and Animal Crossing and they both underperformed.

Also saying that Wii hardware is going back to what it was is silly considering it hasn't been 6 - 8 weeks. In about 8 weeks time, just as Wii Sports Resort should be hitting it's stride, Wii Fit Plus releases in Japan and around the rest of the word shortly after. Then Nintendo have New Super Mario Bros. Wii about a month after that.

Add to that the fact that this will be the first holiday season that Wii is not supply constrained and you can see why Nintendo held it's projections steady.

Your first point even further confirms my original point as does low sales of New Play Control Pikmin, etc that no Nintendo game since Fit or Kart has had that type of bump.

Its already dropped almost 100,000 worldwide since the release of MH3.  And, if Wii Sports was the totally awesome game Nintendo fans say it is and had sold over 50 million units on its own merits and not because it was bundled with Wii, then I would have expected a far larger percentage of Wii Owners to have rushed out and picked it up now, so I don't think we'll be seeing heightened instead of decreasing numbers for it in 6 to 8 weeks time unless it is bundled with every Wii by that time.

Nintendo said there could be a price cut if WSR didn't move much hardware and with the Wii being down 100,000 from Monster Hunter 3 week and actually closer to the numbers in the upper 100,000s that it was getting prior to the release of MH3 and WSR now, it seems like Wii Sports Resort isn't moving that much hardware.  Less than 1/10 of  audience for the first game has purchased it even though the new version has received much higher reviews.

Guys, Wii Sports Resort launched during the Summer Time when game sales are the lowest of the Year. Yet it is performing fantastically and will go on to keep the Wii afloat during the fall. Besides Monster Hunter 3, Wii Sports Resort is the only major release for this year, 2009. The HD consoles have had many major release this year, Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5, Prototype, and Infamous. Yet the Wii is still selling better. Wii Sports Resort is doing its job and with an ad campaign in Fall it will continue to sell and continue to bump the Wii.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Why not add in a new pack in Wii Motion+ with a new disk which includes Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Sport's Resort on it? P

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.