By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon: What's wrong and what it needs

Is there really any need to worry about the popularity of the series… if anything there’s been an increase in popularity since D/P.

But I do agree with you in some areas. I’m really bored with all these random teams that crop up in the Pokemon world. Why can’t they have a plot that involves some threat without Team Useless chucking Wurples at you?

And yes the Legendary/event Pokemon issue is getting out of hand. It’s not so much catching them that bothers me but the sheer number. They just don’t feel unique anymore.

As for the number of Pokemon. I see what you’re saying and agree to some extent. I’d prefer a game of new Pokemon (with a few from other regions), but we don’t need all of them. They can’t keep stacking up new Pokemon on top of each other, there has to be a point where they say “ok sorry but we just can’t include all the pokemon”. But I do like new evolutions of old Pokemon (how can you not?!), especially if it makes them useable. Babies I don’t understand however...

Around the Network
finalrpgfantasy said:
the first pokemon were successful because they were released at the peak of the popularity of pokemon anime.

The first Pokemon was released in Japan 1 year before anime and it had sold millions by then. Anime was actually based on the game.

MontanaHatchet said:
Smashchu2 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
I only read the beginning of your post (it will take me a while to read the rest), but Pokemon declined for a big reason. It wasn't a drop in quality at all (I thought Gold and Silver was great). Rather, the games (and other merchandise) sold less because the fad died. Pokemon still has many millions of fans, but it will never be like it was in the late 90s. Gone is the day where you could make a game about taking pictures of Pokemon and have it sell gangbusters. Gone are the days where every last kid on every last country on Earth had to have a Gameboy and a copy of Pokemon. Gone are the days of Pokemon board games, trading card extravaganzas, plushies, pillows, blankets, pajamas, cups, and every last piece of merchandise available.

Pokemon is still a huge game series, but major improvements won't bring it back to its glory days.

Yeah, the post is long. Took me almost two hours tio write it.

I disagree with the line of thinking becuase I see that fan having died for a reason. Mario Mania existed in the 80s, but it was ended by Super Mario World (as acording to Malstrom. He's writen a lot on it too). I think the fad died due to something else. Something made Pokemon a worldwide phenominon. I ask why it isn't now.

It's great that you went so in depth, but not everyone is going to want to read something that long. Don't be surprised if people quote things that are out of context, or cherry pick certain points.

What killed Mario-mania was that they stopped bundling a game with every system. The 2 best selling Mario games were bundles, and Mario Bros. was really heavily bundled. Then, of course, there was the fact there were more games to buy than Mario. And, of course, the low userbases of the N64 and Gamecube didn't help matters. The Wii would have reversed the process, but Nintendo made the focus on the Wii series and the Miis instead of Mario. It was probably a great step for them, but not for Mario. What made Pokemon so incredibly popular was a vast universe of Pokemon. The stat building, the collectibility, the unique personalities and abilities, and a variety of other things made it so big. It died because all good things must end. The fact that Pokemon is still so popular today is a testament to its selling power and popularity. But there's just no way that it can sustain the following it had back in the 90s.

Man, those were the days...

Yeah, I know a lot of people wont read it becuase it's long as sin. But otherwise, thanks for the tip (about cherrypicking).

Now, on Mario mania, a lot of the stuff I'm going to say parrots Malstrom as he has a good handle on this. Mario was popular thoughout the 80s thanks to Super Mario Bros, a bundeled game. However, SMB2 and 3 both did very well and were well recived. However, while Super Mario World siold systems, it was a disapointment. This is why Sonic could come in and challange the SNES. Nintnedo would win out thanks to a new 2D platformer in Donkey Kong Country. After Yoshi's Island, 2D Marios were not made.

SMB 3 was the best selling stand alone game for a long time. This changed with the Wii, but also with New Super Mario Bros. The game is no where near as good as the old games, but it did better then SMB3. If the fad was over, using your idea, then NSMB shouldn't have sold that much. If NSMB Wii sells even better then that, then my theory would be correct. I don't think fads just wain; I think something happens that ends it.

With Pokemon (and BTW, this is a in general response to the fad idea as your not the only one who said it) that fad was waining with G/S, but is starting to fall apart with R/S and D/P. The big problem may be the castration if catching pokemon. G/S required you to have Red and Blue to get them all. This wasn't so bad as most people had the two games already. It became a big problem is R/S with the number of games required to catch them all. That, and at this point, there were too many pokemon to catch. There was no more fun in collecting. The otyher problem is the recycling nature of the games that is starting to really wain on players. It really was prevelent in R/S.

Smashchu2 said:

1)Make 150-200 New Pokemon. And use ONLY these

2)Make the Gyms interesting, not recycled.

3)Kill Team "Insert Name Here"

4)No more Baby/New Evolutions

5)Fewer Legendaries/No Event Pokemon

6)New Locals Please

1)  I love being able to catch older pokemon so no.

2)  I just beat Pokemon Platinum yesterday and I thought all the gyms were fun and interesting.

3)  I enjoyed Team Galactic a lot actually.  Cyrus and Cynthia are my two favorite "new" characters.

4)  I like new evolutions older pokemon.  Scyther evolving to Scizor is one of the best non-original evolutions for example.

5)  I wouldn't mind legends if they were not stupidly powerful and made all the other pokemon worthless to use.

6)  Sure, I'm up for a few new places to go. 

7)  Fix the worthless pokemon

Starly, after 2 evolutions, has a base stat of 475.  Shinx, after 2 evolutions, has a base stat of 523.  Weedle, after 2 evolutions, has a base stat of 385.  I like Beedrill.  I think it looks cool and it has some neat moves but having base stats over 100 points below other fully evolved pokemon means it will never appear on any of my teams.  Pokemon like Electabuzz and Magmar got an extra evolution to make them competitive but Beedrill is already at the 3rd level which means it's pretty much done unless they go to 4 evolutions. 

Beedrill isn't the only one like this though.  There are a lot of fully evolved pokemon especially from Gen1 that just plain suck. 

8)  More main character sprites

I didn't really like the Dawn or Lucas sprites in Platinum.  A little more freedom in this would be nice.

I completely agree with the TC. However being such a large series they can't possibly change things too much now. Otherwise the fanbase they are building for might reject the games.

The answer in my opinion is to create another series. Or do a Pokemon game with an unusual subtitle that is a reboot for the series. Only way to make both camps happy at this point.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Roflinator said:
KylieDog said:

- GBA Transfers

I find this entire concept of needing past games (that I played and capture pokemon on, to boot) and needing to transfer the pokemon on them in order to own them a crock of shit.  Imagine if when the next Zelda comes out it tells you "You cannot play this and that dungeon unless you own a GC version of Twilight Princess".   Just let new games have all new pokemon and dump this bollocks.

They're remaking G/S on the DS so that every Pokemon are catchable in the DS series. (This is what they did to the GBA series. FR/LG has every Pokemon you wouldn't be able to capture in R/S)

What do you mean?  All 500 or so Pokemon will be catchable between HG/SS?

I also forgot about natures, they fall into the IV/EV view of things.

HG/SS will have every Pokemon that you can't capture in D/P alone. Basically, you can capture any Pokemon in Gen 4 without needing a Gen 3 game.

^^
But you need ANOTHER game to do it. :P That's probably the point. :/ I'm still getting it though, since I never played anything between Red/Blue and D/P/Plat

why does it seem like they are tageting 10 year olds? the biggest fans are like 18 now...

Hmmm, I'll be taking a look at these points:

For your 1st point. I kinda disagree. I'll rather have something like 100 old pokemon & 100 new pokemon in the next game instead of just 200 new pokemon so that even if some of the new pokemon suck, at least you can use some of the older pokemon that appear in the game. However, I do agree with Zubat & Geodudes being overused.

For your 2nd point, I kinda agree. it'll be nice to have another dragon gym & maybe a dark gym too. I don't have anything to say for your 2nd part of your 2nd point though.

I'm a bit neutral towards your 3rd point. Moving on.

I kinda agree with you on the evolutions, but I'll rather see less than none at all. I'm neutral towards the pre-evolutions. Moving on.

I'm also neutral towards your 5th point. Moving on

I disagree towards your 6th point, I find some of the areas in Pokemon R/S/E & Pokemon D/P/P to be my favorite especially the underwater areas in Pokemon R/S/E. Also, what do you mean by "never getting to explore the desert"? Did you just rush through the desert or something like that?

And Pokemon being the same old, same old? I strongly disagree. I don't see how 2-on-2 battles, natures, abilities, contests, swarms, the pokeradar, an expanded IV system, pokeblocks, the poketch, & the new Physical/Special split still result in the pokemon games being more of the same.

I LIKE REDMOON ONLINE. IT'S TEH MOST AWESOMEST MMORPG. RUNESCAPE HAS NOTHING ON IT. ;) My full Videogame collection (Well, not really that full): http://www.backloggery.com/marktheshark I'LL COOL YOUR ANGER WITH AN ICE SPIRIT BLAST!!!!111111!!!!!!111!!!!1!!! List of vg studios that've been shut down this generation: Digital Anvil Headfirst Productions Frog City Software (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Indie Built (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Wolfpack Studios Core Design (Subsiduary of Eidos) Rockstar Vienna/neo Software Produktions GmbH (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Clover Studios (Subsiduary of Capcom) Sidecar Studios Flagship (Subsiduary of Capcom) FASA Studio Nihon Telenet EA Chicago aka NufX (Subsiduary of EA) Kush Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Concrete Games (Subsiduary of THQ?) Iron Lore Entertainment Carbonated Games Stormfront Studios Pseudo Interactive PAM Development (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Venom Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Castaway Entertainment Flagship Studios Pivotal Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Sierra Entertainment (Subsiduary of Activison) Helixe (Subsiduary of THQ) Mass Media (Subsiduary of THQ) Locomotive Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Paradigm Entertainment (Subsiduary of THQ) Sandblast Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Brash Entertainment Jaleco (Assets sold to Game Yarou) MS Aces Rockpool Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Seta Corporation Humanature Studio (Subsiduary of Nexon) Ensemble Studios Straylight Studios 3D Realms GameLab Factor 5 America's Army Studio The Fizz Factor (Subsiduary of Amaze Entertainment) GRIN Software Bottlerocket Entertainment Shaba Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Transmission Games Pandemic Studios Ninja Studio Fuzzyeyes Studio Near Death Studios Deep Silver Vienna (Subsidiary of Deep Silver) Incognito Entertainment (Subsiduary of SCEA) Matahari Studios (Subsiduary of Kuju?) Luxoflux (Subsiduary of Activison) Underground Development (Subsiduary of Activison) Red Octane (Subsiduary of Activison) Universomo (Subsiduary of THQ) Cing Zushi Games Javaground Silver Style Entertainment Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment Secret Level (Subsiduary of Sega) Ninja Studio Monte Cristo Cavia Flight-Plan Sparkplay Media Realtime Worlds Gaia Krome Studios Budcat Creations NetDevil Outerlight Propaganda Games (Subsiduary of Disney Interactive) MTV Games Bizarre Creations 7 Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Pi Studios Cohort Studios Frozen North Productions Killaware Game Republic Titan Studios (Subsidiary of Epic Games China) Kaos Studios (Subsidiary of THQ?) THQ Digital Warrington (Subsidiary of THQ) Blue Tongue (Subsidiary of THQ) Black Rock Studio (Subsidiary of Disney Interactive) Blue Fang Team Bondi Darkworks Multiverse Monumental Games Bigbig Studios (Subsidiary of Sony) Hudson Soft (Subsidiary of Konami) Spellbound Entertainment Zipper Interactive (Subsidiary of Sony) 4mm Games 38 Studios Big Huge Games (Subsidiary of 38 Studios) Rockstar Vancouver/Barking Dog Studios (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Radical Entertainment (Subsidiary of Activision) SCE Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis (Subsidiary of SCE World wide Studios) Project Sora (Subsidiary of Nintendo) Black Hole Entertainment Paragon Studios (Subsidiary of NCsoft) Crave Entertainment Eurocom THQ Vigil Games (Subsidiary of THQ) Junction Point Studios Milestone Inc. Lucasarts Eden Games (Subsidiary of Atari) Silicon Knights Timegate Studios EA Phenomic (Subsidiary of EA) Blitz Games Neverland Ea Black Box (Subsidiary of EA) Terminal Reality Two Tribes B.V. Irrational Games Maxis (Subsidiary of EA)

toastboy44562 said:
why does it seem like they are tageting 10 year olds? the biggest fans are like 18 now...

Because Pokemon has and STILL is appealing to little kids. Why do you think the series is still a big seller? If they've stopped appealing to little kids then good bye good sales.