By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon: What's wrong and what it needs

I agree witn you when saying Pokémon is still the same. Let me point out your ideas, and I'll show mine afterwards:

Make 150-200 New Pokémon. And use ONLY these

No. This is just taking it stupidly. There are 493 of them so there's variety when choosing teams. Besides, Junichi Masuda, the games' directors, and Ken Sugimori have already stated that the Fourth Generation is the ultimate of the Pokémon series. Unless they're stupid enough to expand the Pokédex, we'll always have 493 Pokémon. Also, having more than 500 Pokémon is horribly childish, and would turn the series more a Digimon-like, with useless and poorly made creatures.

Make the Gyms interesting, not recycled.

Perhaps. It is more interesting to turn the Gyms into real dungeons and with more gifts after defeating them, not just a badge, a TM and obeying Pokémon.

Kill Team "Insert Name Here"

The problem with main series is that the criminal organizations aren't evil enough to make the story interesting. Firstly, you only encounter them in "major events" just a few times troughout the storyline. They should get more attention from players and become really evil. For instance, that's why Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD were interesting: Cipher has used the most torturing methods to transform normal Pokémon into the corrupted Shadow Pokémon, and that was cool. It Team Galactic were like this, they would be really exciting in the story.

No more Baby/New Evolutions/Fewer Legendaries/No Event Pokémon

I've already pointed out: NO new Pokémon.

New Locals Please

Let's say, the Battle Frontier has always sucked. It's boring, useless, nearly impossible, and not enough worth-trying. Other kinds of places besides this stupid Battle Frontier are welcome. The Sevii Islands were an example in FireRed & LeafGreen, although more could have been done with them.
-------------------------------------------------

Now, some of my ideas to improve the games:

• Expand the story. Not only get the eight badges and defeating the criminal organization;
  • Update the story system. A speechless main character turns the story boring, as the player doesn't have his or her right to comment some actions in the game. Turning the main character into a someone who can actually speak turns the story better;
  • Stop doing idiot updates that doesn't add anything to the real game. Platinum sucks in some way because of the Wi-Fi Plaza. Naïve fans go crazy when something like this is announced, but, man, what's the point of it?! The Wi-Fi Plaza and the upcoming Pokéthlon are useless. Developers could use the time they've spent on these stupid ideas on improving the important points of the game. But, instead, they choose to make a child-driving "fun place" so fans can say there's innovation in the series, while there isn't any, just a place where most of the junk in the game is conveyed;
  • Do an MMORPG, please...

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Around the Network

What about a MMORPG based on Pokemon with all the continents, all the pokemon and so on? Naturally on next Nintendo's handheld...it sounds like the natural evolution for a game like this...

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

I disagree with some of your key points, though agree with many of your others. "New Locales" is something that has to be treated carefully. It could be a good idea, but there would still have to be a good balance of them.

I agree in your call for a reduction of Team Rocket's role. They were better when they were just another part of the world, just like your shops and your pokemon centers, not a group trying to dominate it.

I also agree in a call for an end to Event Pokemon. Only event pokemon i've ever had i hacked to get, back when i cared enough to buy a Brain Boy (Made by Pelican, tailor-made device for modding RBY and GSC), and got Mew and Celebi. I'll grant that with the advent of WiFi, these events have become far more accessible (pop over to the local Toys R' Us, pull out your DS, and go), but i would prefer it if the Event pokemon were triggered by in-game events. Insane events that you had to go to great lengths to fulfill.

Like with Celebi, Celebi could have appeared at the shrine to it at Ilex Forest, but only under certain conditions, that sort of thing.

Overall, i think the next step that Game Freak has to take is to build a tie-together game for Pokemon, before making a jump back to the basics. They need a game with Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, where they'll publish four concurrent versions, each of which starts you at a different region, and has different gym/elite four progressions, where you can go all over the world and gather all 493, and where the latter stage of gym leaders all have pokemon in the 80's and 90's, that sort of thing.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I agree outhing to complain though the 3rd generation had the worst of the new
pokemon and I think the 1st generation is the most simple and Gold's had a advancement. I say get rid of the 3rd generation and call the 4th one the 3rd generation

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

JUst give me 3D battles. Really, its shouldnt be hard, just like PKMN Stadium.

Around the Network

I think most people would be happy if the story and gameplay structure was messed around with. People are sick of the feelgood story of a young boy from a small town overcoming a group who use Pokemon for evil while simultaniously beating the best trainers in the world and becoming the best. Departing from that would make a huge difference in itself.

I also agree with skip/KylieDog and whoever else said that we need a return to basics. I love how the EV/IV/Nature/Egg/Held Item aspects of the game adds depth, but like others have said, it feels terrible to work really hard to train your Pokemon as good as you can, only to lose to to some hacker with a perfectly trained Pokemon. I think Natures are great, but maybe EV/IV should be trashed in favour of a new system that can make an individual Pokemon capable of having an extensive amount of strategic variations while still considered usable in serious matches. What I'm trying to say is that we should have much more freedom to mould each individual Pokemon into something that is original, and not just "X amount for attack, y amount for speed, and the rest in sp. defence!)

Balancing is also a big issue, but with the sheer amount of Pokemon created, it seems very unlikely. Also, I agree with the idea that there are too many Legendary Pokemon. I think that these Pokemon should stay exclusive to their respective games.

make huge changes like:

1. 3D real-time battles, pokemon move by commands like in anime or we control them

2. finding pokemon is something 3D, more realistic, like finding monster in Tales of Symphonia

3. see wild pokemon how they live, eat, sleep, nest, that could make it interesting, not just find them and battle

4. you change the appearance of pokemon in real time

5. pokemon have different personalities and act or grow differently

6. make an MMORPG mode or something

that would sell something like 30 million..... : P

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
make huge changes like:

1. 3D real-time battles, pokemon move by commands like in anime or we control them

2. finding pokemon is something 3D, more realistic, like finding monster in Tales of Symphonia

3. see wild pokemon how they live, eat, sleep, nest, that could make it interesting, not just find them and battle

4. you change the appearance of pokemon in real time

5. pokemon have different personalities and act or grow differently

6. make an MMORPG mode or something

that would sell something like 30 million..... : P

1. No, please no. I want to have time to plan my actions.

2. What do you mean, "finding Pokemon is something 3D"?

3. Wouldn't that be a bit much for the developers?

4. Please explain.

5. I'm betting you probably haven't played Pokemon R/S/E or D/P/P.

6. Maybe. I don't see it happening though.

No. It probably won't sell 30 million.

I LIKE REDMOON ONLINE. IT'S TEH MOST AWESOMEST MMORPG. RUNESCAPE HAS NOTHING ON IT. ;) My full Videogame collection (Well, not really that full): http://www.backloggery.com/marktheshark I'LL COOL YOUR ANGER WITH AN ICE SPIRIT BLAST!!!!111111!!!!!!111!!!!1!!! List of vg studios that've been shut down this generation: Digital Anvil Headfirst Productions Frog City Software (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Indie Built (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Wolfpack Studios Core Design (Subsiduary of Eidos) Rockstar Vienna/neo Software Produktions GmbH (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Clover Studios (Subsiduary of Capcom) Sidecar Studios Flagship (Subsiduary of Capcom) FASA Studio Nihon Telenet EA Chicago aka NufX (Subsiduary of EA) Kush Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Concrete Games (Subsiduary of THQ?) Iron Lore Entertainment Carbonated Games Stormfront Studios Pseudo Interactive PAM Development (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Venom Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Castaway Entertainment Flagship Studios Pivotal Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Sierra Entertainment (Subsiduary of Activison) Helixe (Subsiduary of THQ) Mass Media (Subsiduary of THQ) Locomotive Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Paradigm Entertainment (Subsiduary of THQ) Sandblast Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Brash Entertainment Jaleco (Assets sold to Game Yarou) MS Aces Rockpool Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Seta Corporation Humanature Studio (Subsiduary of Nexon) Ensemble Studios Straylight Studios 3D Realms GameLab Factor 5 America's Army Studio The Fizz Factor (Subsiduary of Amaze Entertainment) GRIN Software Bottlerocket Entertainment Shaba Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Transmission Games Pandemic Studios Ninja Studio Fuzzyeyes Studio Near Death Studios Deep Silver Vienna (Subsidiary of Deep Silver) Incognito Entertainment (Subsiduary of SCEA) Matahari Studios (Subsiduary of Kuju?) Luxoflux (Subsiduary of Activison) Underground Development (Subsiduary of Activison) Red Octane (Subsiduary of Activison) Universomo (Subsiduary of THQ) Cing Zushi Games Javaground Silver Style Entertainment Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment Secret Level (Subsiduary of Sega) Ninja Studio Monte Cristo Cavia Flight-Plan Sparkplay Media Realtime Worlds Gaia Krome Studios Budcat Creations NetDevil Outerlight Propaganda Games (Subsiduary of Disney Interactive) MTV Games Bizarre Creations 7 Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Pi Studios Cohort Studios Frozen North Productions Killaware Game Republic Titan Studios (Subsidiary of Epic Games China) Kaos Studios (Subsidiary of THQ?) THQ Digital Warrington (Subsidiary of THQ) Blue Tongue (Subsidiary of THQ) Black Rock Studio (Subsidiary of Disney Interactive) Blue Fang Team Bondi Darkworks Multiverse Monumental Games Bigbig Studios (Subsidiary of Sony) Hudson Soft (Subsidiary of Konami) Spellbound Entertainment Zipper Interactive (Subsidiary of Sony) 4mm Games 38 Studios Big Huge Games (Subsidiary of 38 Studios) Rockstar Vancouver/Barking Dog Studios (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Radical Entertainment (Subsidiary of Activision) SCE Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis (Subsidiary of SCE World wide Studios) Project Sora (Subsidiary of Nintendo) Black Hole Entertainment Paragon Studios (Subsidiary of NCsoft) Crave Entertainment Eurocom THQ Vigil Games (Subsidiary of THQ) Junction Point Studios Milestone Inc. Lucasarts Eden Games (Subsidiary of Atari) Silicon Knights Timegate Studios EA Phenomic (Subsidiary of EA) Blitz Games Neverland Ea Black Box (Subsidiary of EA) Terminal Reality Two Tribes B.V. Irrational Games Maxis (Subsidiary of EA)

Sorry but the majority of this thread blows.

I'm really tired of these types of threads and they need to just perish.

SmokedHostage used Perish Song.

This thread has 3 more posts 'til it faints.

Pixel Art can be fun.

There where two people who said Pokemon is expanding. It's not. My point was to look at the situation that the two games are releasing in. R/S did poorly compared to the earlier two. D/P only did slightly better despite that more people have access to Pokemon. There are a lot of people, a lot of different people, who own a DS. Not many of the new people bought D/P. Pokemon may be in decline, but it was helped by the amazing sales of the DS. Pokemon 5 may very well be a Pokemon bomb (still doing well, but is much weaker in terms of influence).

@Maneco: You really missed the point on my first point. Not how it says "And only these." What I mean is that Pokemon needs to eliminate the 493 and focus on new ones. Also, your comment on 500 pokemon being bad is dumb given the fact that we are 7 pokemon away from 500. Really, what makes 500 so much more worse then 493?

Also, many people have said "Advance the story." NO. The reason for killing the Team _____ is because they are making the game more story driven. Pokemon was never story driven. The Teams have been adding more of a plot to Pokemon, making you almost a hero rather then a trainer who want's to beat the Pokemon League. Story will not make Pokemon grow, it will only continue the decline.