By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does disk size matter?

with the hard drives on the machines that need the "HD" graphicsand internet becoming the norm for gamming--i dont think DVD is goign to faze out this gen---or next gen

what i see happening is games starting to go out with almost bare bones then being able to tie in online to get the rest fleshed out --weiher it run from a server or downloaded

Around the Network

If developers do not use FMV too heavily, use audio compression, and compressed textures I wouldn't expect too many XBox 360 games to use more than 1 DVD; with the processing power of the XBox 360 the loss of FMV is not too big of a loss, and compressed textures and audio will not be noticed by 95% of gamers.

When you have HD yep it does. My 60gb ps3 has only 40 gigs left!

mM
ChronotriggerJM said:
A part of me can definately agree with you guys, but when I stop to think about where the PS3 games are at now, and how quickly there getting bigger and bigger, hell the PS3 hasn't even been out for a full year, and theres a few games already using the space, wether or not its for features that interest you, its good to know devs are already stretching their legs.

Don't get me wrong, the advancements in Blu-ray and HD-DVD will help in time. I just don't agree that in 2007, they're needed or in most cases, even wanted.

Right now very few devs are having problems working on DVD-9 and considering the cost and delay that BR added to the PS3, I still think it was a mistake.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Disc space used to matter, but it really doesn't anymore. Putting games on multiple DVDs works just fine for 99% of games; if you really have a problem swapping discs every 10-20 hours of playtime, then you really need something more important to complain about. The only games that really don't work well on multiple discs are sandbox games, but those are few and far between, and then only when the data can't fit on a single DVD is it a problem.

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray just aren't a significant jump from normal DVDs. Developers can now cram a metric ton of compressed textures, audio, and video on to a single DVD, and the fact that those things are compressed doesn't matter to 99% of users. It won't be until the next generation when the market will be ready to adopt a next-gen optical storage format - that being, when it's cheap enough that it doesn't make your console cost $600 at launch. :)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

My only concern are the company's that are already running out of space, Take GTA4 for example, I'd hate for them to have to lower theyre output so that they can fit everything onto one DVD, multiple DVD's simply doesn't work for that type of game, nor does it work for FPS's, I recently played through Resistance Fall of Man again, and man did I just have to stop and notice how much additional crap there is in that game to interact with, rooms full of garbage that really doesn't need to be there per say, but it is, and I love it :D

I'd just like to state though that devs HAVE in fact already come across problems with the DVD9 Format, so as far as 2007 is concerned, Rockets probably right, but I'm still going to wait for sony to introduce some things that might be a little out of the 360's league and as I said earlier its still in its first year. Taking a look at game like Killzone 2, Final Fantasy 13, MGS4 etc. etc. Really have me amazed at the sheer amount of content they can offer, and if some of these can deliver in 60 FPS, 1080P. 7.1 then I for one am DEFINATELY down for increased disk size.

Oh and that piece about physical media becomming obsolete, I'm not so sure. Theres still way to much speculation on the effectiveness of Content on Demand, and at this point in the world its not going anywhere anytime soon for varius reasons. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Women tell me disk size doesn't matter but they might be trying to make my Wii feel better. In any event there's pills for that and failing that you can always buy a gigantic Xbox to compensate.

Wow sorry I couldn't resist.. Well yes it matters but they have HD-VMD which holds up to 100GB and theoretically can run on a basic DVD drive with a firmware update.

ChronotriggerJM said:

Taking a look at game like Killzone 2, Final Fantasy 13, MGS4 etc. etc. Really have me amazed at the sheer amount of content they can offer, and if some of these can deliver in 60 FPS, 1080P. 7.1 then I for one am DEFINATELY down for increased disk size.

That's another reason why I think BD was a mistake on the PS3... I seriously doubt we will see high quality 1080p 60fps games on the RSX... I don't think the hardware is up to it. Lair was a slideshow and Heavenly Sword hiccuped quite a bit at that resolution. I just don't think either the 360 or PS3 is powerful enough and I'd much rather see devs scale it back to 720p for gameplay's sake this generation. Maybe GT5 will prove me wrong but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were forced to 720p and/or 30fps before the game releases and if they do offer a 1080p resolution, it will end up being upscaled from 720p with no real texture or graphical improvements offered.

So if these systems can't do 1080p comfortably, what is the point of BD or HD-DVD right now? 7.1 audo and CGI? No thanks, I'll stick to DVD if that's all I'm getting out of the deal.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Like someone has mentioned before, so far the only real advantage taken of BluRay is uncompressed audio and different language sets all on one disc. Convenient - yes, an advantage to gameplay? - No.

More FMV will come of it, but it'd be foolish to expect games longer than what we're already playing. Theres plenty of games on the PS1 that would give you over 20 hours of play, and SNES games as well. Storage size plays no part at all in that. 

I was really hoping that this would be a parody of the "Do Breasts matter" thread... The fact that it isn't saddens me.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.