By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why does USA have "In god we trust" on it's money?

Genuine question. Just looked at a dollar bill I have and thought that the USA government is pro seperation of church and state and enforces freedom of religion. So I thought it was odd that this was on the money.

A quick look on the Internet that threw up various answers ranging from the sensible arguements such as The USA had strong Christian values influencing the change in the  1860's, to the down right absurd saying it was influenced by the illuminati and the masons.

Also do you see the reason you think is correct being significant enough to put it on the money?

Around the Network

Don't worry. it will be off before Obama is out of office.

Because most ppl are christian in the united states, and the presidents have been christian, and so the presidents have taken very christian actions to put god on your money.

@Dsister: That's good though, right? separation of church and state is a value Americans seem to support.

@ I'm sneeky: Small point not really related to the idea in your post, I'm not American lol.

Because there's no good reason to change it (besides a couple of Atheists being offended), and there are hundreds of millions of Christians in the U.S. who would be opposed to it. Plus, all of our presidents have been some denomination of Christian.

Separation of church and state has to do with religious values not affecting government decisions. This was how the value was originally meant to be. It didn't mean that government should be devoid of all religion. And again, why change it? The U.S. also believes strongly in democracy, and the majority wouldn't want it.

Around the Network

I do not. I do not see it as much of a problem. We have a lot more problems in the United States. I do not see it as a big problem right now. (I'm Christian btw.I just thought I should mention this)

MontanaHatchet said:
Because there's no good reason to change it (besides a couple of Atheists being offended), and there are hundreds of millions of Christians in the U.S. who would be opposed to it. Plus, all of our presidents have been some denomination of Christian.

Separation of church and state has to do with religious values not affecting government decisions. This was how the value was originally meant to be. It didn't mean that government should be devoid of all religion. And again, why change it? The U.S. also believes strongly in democracy, and the majority wouldn't want it.

That's a fair reason. The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few is another value held by the USA.

dsister44 said:
I do not. I do not see it as much of a problem. We have a lot more problems in the United States. I do not see it as a big problem right now. (I'm Christian btw.I just thought I should mention this)

Just to let you guys know (In general) I didn't say this was a problem in any way because it is not, it's fine. I was merely questioning why it is on there.

I find it morally disgusting and completely prejudiced against athiests!

Well, no, I don't. It's not like it matters. It's four words. Anybody who takes a hard stance on it should be help upside down by ropes by means of stupidity.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

@Highwaystar101

I know. Montana said what I was trying to say