By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony trying to prove the media/analyst wrong?

At the end of last year there was a rumor that PS3 was getting a price in march,that time PS3 sales were affected a bit after these rumors.Many people after hearing this rumor delayed their PS3 buying plans and waited till march for the price cut to happen.But Sony didn't cut the price of the PS3.

It can be that it was just a false rumor or it can be that Sony changed their strategy because of it but it hasn't happened just once.It has happened with various other Sony announcements.It can't be that all of these rumor's are wrong.

It can be that Sony had something in mind but once it was leaked out in the media and various analysts predicted that it would happen,Sony tried to prove them wrong so that in future people don't believe the media and the analysts.Remember if Sony had cut down PS3's price in March,people like Patcher and other analysts would have been a big name for themselves cause of their right production and in future if anything similar was to happen,people would listen to them and delay their buying plans which would affect's Sony.

This my opinion about the matter and i think they did try to derail the media somewhere along the line.

Around the Network

I don't think so, no. I doubt there's any reason not to cut the price just because people are predicting they will, if they were actually planning it. I just think they never planned for it and the analysts just thought they would.

I think Sony is building the hype train so everyone knows there will be a price cut. When they finally do everyone will be paying attention to it.

I don't think so. At least, I hope like hell that they're not making such crucial decisions for such stupid reasons.

i dont believe sony's business decisions are based on proving someone wrong, they were not financially ready to cut the price last year, its as simple as that

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network

I'm sure that undermining the analysts is a possible goal, especially when they predict things like poor finances, sales, and other doom and gloom.

RED53DEVILS said:

At the end of last year there was a rumor that PS3 was getting a price in march,that time PS3 sales were affected a bit after these rumors.Many people after hearing this rumor delayed their PS3 buying plans and waited till march for the price cut to happen.But Sony didn't cut the price of the PS3.

It can be that it was just a false rumor or it can be that Sony changed their strategy because of it but it hasn't happened just once.It has happened with various other Sony announcements.It can't be that all of these rumor's are wrong.

It can be that Sony had something in mind but once it was leaked out in the media and various analysts predicted that it would happen,Sony tried to prove them wrong so that in future people don't believe the media and the analysts.Remember if Sony had cut down PS3's price in March,people like Patcher and other analysts would have been a big name for themselves cause of their right production and in future if anything similar was to happen,people would listen to them and delay their buying plans which would affect's Sony.

This my opinion about the matter and i think they did try to derail the media somewhere along the line.

The vast majority of all rumours are entirely fabricated to draw attention to someone, and the only reason why some of the rumours become "True" is because to make the rumour believeable it uses well know facts that could lead to the outcome of the rumour.

Basically, the (relatively) poor sales of the PS3 along with the cost reductions from the movement towards more advanced manufacturing processes are good indicators that Sony may be able to manufacture a smaller and less expensive PS3 in the near future. The rumours that the slim PS3 will be announced at the next major trade show are (almost) always made-up but eventually one of these rumours will become "True"

RED53DEVILS said:

Here is a simplier explaination: Sony executives can be fired (forced to resign), if they fail to meet financial expectations internally.  These media types who hang on, score the executives NOTHING if they are placated. These media types need Sony more than Sony needs them.   So these paparatzi hanger on merely pick up various stuff and speculate. 

Sony needs to significantly improve PS3 system sales or they could potentially lose support from third party developers. The most critical factors to Sony is third party support for PS3 and getting more Blu-Ray players/PS3s into people's living rooms to continue the struggling Blu-Ray format fight against DVD format.

Price cuts, a new PS3 model are the answer and Sony will have to bite the bullet and take more financial pain if they want to make more gain in regards to console sales war and the media format war.

Due to being a huge company Sony have the financial resources to help the struggling PS3 into the future.

numonex said:
Sony needs to significantly improve PS3 system sales or they could potentially lose support from third party developers. The most critical factors to Sony is third party support for PS3 and getting more Blu-Ray players/PS3s into people's living rooms to continue the struggling Blu-Ray format fight against DVD format.

Price cuts, a new PS3 model are the answer and Sony will have to bite the bullet and take more financial pain if they want to make more gain in regards to console sales war and the media format war.

Due to being a huge company Sony have the financial resources to help the struggling PS3 into the future.

You do realize that, although Sony is a "Huge Company", they are unprofitable and don't have much in the way of cash reserves to finance further losses from Sony's gaming division; and (on top of this) R&D costs, and licencing costs, associated with the eventual release of their next generation handheld and console system are going to ramp up in the next couple of years.