By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Piracy not theft because its a copy..

Then it works. We have piracy.

Ok. Piracy is wrong, don't Pirate. But it's not theft because your not stealing anything.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
stof said:
Then it works. We have piracy.

Ok. Piracy is wrong, don't Pirate. But it's not theft because your not stealing anything.

Okay, let's just have an argument for the sake of an argument.

Do you believe that piracy can be morally justified in a context where giving money to the publisher is impossible anyway? Which is to say, take a game that is long out of print and is not available for purchase anywhere in a way that would provide money to the publisher: is it morally justifiable to pirate that game?

@Alterego-X If your poor you don't buy a Porsche. I gamed for many years only buying used games at K-mart for $5 because my family was border line poor and I had no money. You can't justify theft cause your poor no matter what. If you want to commit a crime then do it, don't try to justify it with bullshit. Real pirates stole loot and their reason was they wanted something for nothing. Most did not try to justify it. If you don't like the industries direction then don't game at all. Your 3rd point is moot because if you really didn't like the industries direction you would quit all together. Just admit you don't want to pay for games. A thief doesn't have to be liar.

voty2000 said:
@Alterego-X If your poor you don't buy a Porsche. I gamed for many years only buying used games at K-mart for $5 because my family was border line poor and I had no money. You can't justify theft cause your poor no matter what. If you want to commit a crime then do it, don't try to justify it with bullshit. Real pirates stole loot and their reason was they wanted something for nothing. Most did not try to justify it. If you don't like the industries direction then don't game at all. Your 3rd point is moot because if you really didn't like the industries direction you would quit all together. Just admit you don't want to pay for games. A thief doesn't have to be liar.

Man pirates stealing people's loot took a lot of effort, I don't know where you got the idea that it was easy.

Oh I think Piracy is fine in a bunch of situations.

I also think that on the scale of "Wrongness" It rates somewhere between downloading free music and parking your car outside the drive in where your close enough to see the screen and listen to their radio frequency.

But I don't want to get in to that argument, so I'm just saying it is wrong (somewhat) but it's not stealing something.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

That's probably a wiser decision. I will excuse myself too, then.

@ Khuutra I was not trying to say being a real pirate was easy. I was saying that they knew what they did was wrong and did it for the loot. They did not make excuses. I know some pirates worked for European rulers and stuff but most stole crap to make a living.

Piracy is theft no doubt. As a paying consumer who spends a hundred + on games a week, I could care less if people pirate because Im in the "They wouldnt have bought it anyways" crowd. I feel borrowing and renting does as much damage to the industry as piracy(obviously NOT in the PC realm). It sucks that people pirate but ever since I was 8 or so and saw my cousins box of 400 pirated Atari PC games, I knew it was part of the biz. It's just the way it is and putting an end to piracy would not result in a massive spike in the amount money made by companies are making.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Piracy is horrible, But let's see it from another perspective...

Here, where I live (Brazil), most people buy piracy games. You might ask why people do not buy the original ones.
As most of you might know Brazil is a poor country when compared to USA, Japan and most of Europe. It's obviously why lots of people do not buy original products (games and others stuffs). They simply cannot afford.
Here, we're usually late when it comes to technology, not only because most of it we import, but also cause taxes are ridiculously high, in some cases, higher than 100%.
PS2 is the most used console here cause people cannot buy any of the newer ones. Today, a new PS2 costs 300 dollars. Wii is 750 dollars, ps3 750-1000dollars and xbox360 800 dollars. The prices of the games are also outrageous. Any new game is usually 299reais (160 dollars).
Just for you to know, the minimum paid salary is 250 dollars/ month. People kinda consider 1000dollars/ month a good one. You'd have to choose whether you'd prefer to eat or to buy games.
I really would like to see everybody buying the games, supporting developers and companies, but how would you do that ?

Considering how much I hate the RIAA, I'm just gonna say this on the matter:

WWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

That is all.