By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Piracy not theft because its a copy..

Theft as defined above in Wnktonodi's post is exactly what you are doing.

Personal Property in this case is the content of the game. You are clearly taking that content "without permission or consent".

I don't see how you claim piracy is not theft.

Around the Network

ups double post sorry

Wonktonodi said:
but BladeOFGod you are in Germany not Brazil yes in much of the developing world the prices are insane and should be brought down to mach income levels but pirating them is not going to make them do that

i wasnt talking about me, i am not pirating my PS3 games ( i would if i could though), i was giving an example from one 3rd world country

BladeOfGod said:
i am sick of people bitching about piracy.

The averige payment in Brazil is about 220-230 dollars. And one guy from Brazil told me that games cost about 120 dollars there.(the new ones) So you except someone to spend more than half of his payment just to get one game??? You people need to understand that not everyone can afford to buy games even thought they HAVE a job.

My *net* monthly income is about $500 that I can spend any way I like. That $500 won't buy me the  new 46" HDTV I've been wanting because the tv's I want are around $1500. I can choose to save my net income for a while to buy that tv or I can choose to eat out, go to movies, and do many other activities with my children.

I keep choosing the activities and still have an older SDTV.

Just because I can't afford what I want doesn't make it right to take it. That is just stupid.

Its not theft because that content is not being taken, its being copied. Now its being copied "without permission or consent" so that does indeed make it copyright infringement, just not theft.

You can't even consider it theft of a potential sale. If I steal a game off of a shelf or a shipping truck, THAT is theft of a potential sale.

On the other hand, you can only assume that a person would have bought a game were they not willing to pirate it.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
BladeOfGod said:

The averige payment in Brazil is about 220-230 dollars. And one guy from Brazil told me that games cost about 120 dollars there.(the new ones) So you except someone to spend more than half of his payment just to get one game??? You people need to understand that not everyone can afford to buy games even thought they HAVE a job.

My *net* monthly income is about $500 that I can spend any way I like. That $500 won't buy me the  new 46" HDTV I've been wanting because the tv's I want are around $1500. I can choose to save my net income for a while to buy that tv or I can choose to eat out, go to movies, and do many other activities with my children.

Just because I can't afford what I want doesn't make it right to take it. That is just stupid.

if you could get your 46 HDTV for free you would do it, dont pretend like you wouldnt

FayeC said:
Its not theft because that content is not being taken, its being copied. Now its being copied "without permission or consent" so that does indeed make it copyright infringement, just not theft.

You can't even consider it theft of a potential sale. If I steal a game off of a shelf or a shipping truck, THAT is theft of a potential sale.

On the other hand, you can only assume that a person would have bought a game were they not willing to pirate it.

Its the same thing you are acquiring it without permission or consent. Theft.

BladeOfGod said:
superchunk said:
BladeOfGod said:

if you could get your 46 HDTV for free you would do it, dont pretend like you wouldnt

Sure, if it were given to me, rightfully, with consent. That would be legal. I would never just take it or use my magic replication machine to copy it. That would be theft.

BladeOfGod said:
superchunk said:
BladeOfGod said:

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

What about all the tools that's are create to help pirating, the dvd burners, the Ipod, the blank cds and dvds, the divx players.
What if some other companies would give you all the tools to create a Ferrari by yourself and to use it, wouldn't you do it? The apple Ipod would not be where it is without napster and Kazaa, pirating started the mp3 business (well I think anyway)
What about High speed Internet would you really use up that 100GB download limit if you were not pirating? Pirating did a lot of damage to some companies but help a lot of others so it's not as wrong as people make it to be

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.