By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Unintentional timed exclusives helping the 360?

GranTurismo said:
All this proves is that Microsoft is paying these companies to release the game later on the PS3, which i'm pretty sure is against the law, due to fair trade and all that crap.

Or it could be that the PS3 is harder to develop for like everyone says. But why be sensible?

Around the Network

Haha. M$ pays them all!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Haha. M$ pays them all!

QFT, plus i mod posted it so it must be true

Well when I see timed exclusive I see a game that is ported to the PS3.

I know from experience that its going to have a bad frame rate and second rate graphics, which when added together equals bad gameplay (Madden 08).

That to me is a unfinished game and I won't buy it.

Quack!

I'll bet my avatar and a 1 month ban that the PS3 by March 08 will be 3 Million units away in WW sales of the Wii. konnichiwa, Your gonna regret this!!!!!!

GranTurismo said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Haha. M$ pays them all!

QFT, plus i mod posted it so it must be true

QFF (quoted for falsness) I´m pretty sure that was sarcastic, besides do you think Bill Gates is throwing money at people so they take a break working on the PS3 version ??? Besides that, the PS3 version of the orange is being ported by EA not Valve lilke the 360 version so it makes sense they didn´t have the same timescedule.

Around the Network
GranTurismo said:
All this proves is that Microsoft is paying these companies to release the game later on the PS3, which i'm pretty sure is against the law, due to fair trade and all that crap.

First of all, its due to the difficulty of programming on the PS3 hardware. All of the Unreal 3 engine games for PS3 have been delayed despite initially being simultaneous releases. Secondly if paying companies to release a game later was against the law, Sega would have sued Sony during the PS1/Saturn era. Sony paid Eidos not to release Tomb Raider 2 on Saturn.

I find it hilarious that Sony fans get upset with MS spending money to get exclusive content. Where do you think MS got their strategy from? Sony. Sony entered the market against Nintendo and Sega. Unlike Sega and Nintendo, Sony didn't have a wealth of 1st party exclusive content. Sony's solution to this problem was to pay third party developers for exclusives. You can't have it both ways GranTurismo. I am sure you weren't upset that Sony was keeping content off the Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, and X-box. So don't cry foul now.

it's becoming harder and harder to spin anything PS3 way lately.

I have a mental image of Sony fanboy running in circle screaming after a breakdown.

GranTurismo said:

Oh man, that was hilarious. Excellent impression of a tinfoil-hat wearing PS fanboy who irrationally ignores all the evidence that the PS3 is harder to develop for. Or were you being serious?

Back on topic, this is one of the two problems for Sony I commented on in August:

"One problem for Sony is that a large number of those top 20 PS3 games are also available on the 360, even though some don't make the 360 list because the 360 has more highly-rated games. This is more a problem for Sony than Microsoft because a lot of those games get better reviews on the 360 than on the PS3 .

Also, a surprising number of those games were released earlier on the 360 than on the PS3, even some of the sports games that we assume come out at the same time on all systems (for example, NBA 2k7). For both of those reasons, people who own both a PS3 and a 360 may choose to buy the 360 version of those games."

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Yes I think this is one of the biggest trends going on right now. It is really hurting PS3.

It's not just Orange Box, it's so many games. It could very well happen with Assassins Creed also. The PS3 version of AC has not been shown publically. Oh yeah, and I just thought of another one, Area 51 is delayed on PS3.

It just makes PS3 a tough choice as a first console. Watching 360 get better versions of third party titles quicker, must be a killer for PS3 only owners.

Like I say, I just think this is a huge issue for PS3 right now.

GranTurismo said:

No, it's not. The company is free to make what it wants and sell it when it wants, and where it wants, and for any reason. It's really no different than WalMart ponying up a little more money to get an exclusive version of a DVD.