By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Virtual Console games are too expensive . . .

VC games aren't pricey. You are just cheap

Around the Network

They where good value but in the UK the cost of the points has gone up from £15.00 for 2000 to £19.99. It has put me off buy any more points just at the moment as there are a number of full wii retail games at £14.99 in my local shop at the moment including Boom Blox and New player control Pikmin and skate it, all games I'd like to get.

I don't think there should be a set price per console. Different games should cost different prices. This should be determined by how many hours you get. I would have said quality, but most virtual console games are of high quality anyway since they are the most notable games of those consoles. My main problem with the virtual console though is that there aren't ENOUGH games on it. Yes there are plenty of Nes and Snes games, but I want a lot more N64 games. I would also love to see older handheld games(or they could put handheld games on the DS).

To put it simply, excellent games are totally worth the price, good games may be priced just OK, and bad games are way too expensive (as they always are anyway...)

I'm glad i could download Super Mario RPG for 9 euros, or Secret of Mana for 8 euros, by example... and all the old Nintendo classics are still enjoyable, so i don't see where's the problem here...

The only problem with digital downloads is that you can't re-sell these in 2nd hand, so you have to be sure all your downloads are worth the money...

Episodic content in wiiware is overpriced, by example, as 5x10 euros mean 50 euros for a game you have to keep that way, with no box, and no money back if there's no replay value... but for both virtual console or wiiware, if you do the good choices, you really can't complain...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

johnsobas said:
theARTIST0017 said:
johnsobas said:
theARTIST0017 said:

Sorry I've had a gripe about the prices for Virtual Console games. They charge us $5 for Nintendo games, $8 for Super Nintendo games, and a whopping $10 for N64 games. Now if you think about it some of these old games cost more than Wii Ware games themselves, which im more willing to pay for because those are brand new games. And this goes for the games for the other consoles too like Genesis and NeoGeo.

I believe they should be Nintendo - $2, SNES - $4 N64 - $5 or $6

I know Nintendo is a business and I have VC games but I think Nintendo needs to reconsider their prices. We should make a petition. Your thoughts.

You need to do a better job explaining why you think VC games are overpriced, all you did was say old games should be cheap.

I don't really understand this logic, an old game is new to someone who hasn't played it. These games almost all used to cost $50 new and many were made to be fun for a long time. Some of these games are more worth $50 now then some of the games coming out now.

Why is it so much to you? I can't see how anyone would have a problem with VC prices but be perfectly fine with wiiware prices and current new release retail titles. VC is just like wiiware and retail, some games are worth it and some aren't. Actually I'd have to say more VC games are worth it, because you can justify paying $8 to play an 8 hour game but I don't know how you can justify paying $60 for an 8 hour game.

1. I think they are overpriced because they are old. Whenever a product in a market gets older, they start to depreciate in value. Dont mind that people are selling sealed copies with a "Brand New" next to it for $80 or &763.95 or whatever they're old. I'm sorry i admit i failed to mention that in my original post.

2. Which brings me back to my original point about NEW and OLD games. I used this example once before. WiiWare and Virtual Console games are both sold in the same online market place. It's like walking into a Gamestop and seeing Gamecube games being sold for 49.99 the same price as Wii games. Now that wouldnt be right. Not only that some of these old games cost more than Wii Ware games themselves. Its poorly setup (the VC prices I mean).

3. sguy78, yes I know they're affordable nobody ever said anything about their affordability.

No i don't follow your logic. You're saying because it' old it has to be cheap and i just don't agree with that.

However even if I did it still doesn't mean you are right, it's not like selling a GC game for $50, they're not selling NES games for $50, they're selling them for $5. If we were to follow Nintendo's formula so far it goes NES - $5, SNES - $8, N64 - $10, then GC would be either $12 or $13 if we followed the pattern. It's like walking into gamestop and seeing new GC games being sold for $13, omg.

Wow this is a long post.
1. Yes but thats only half of it. Not only because they are old, but also because they are sold beside Wii Ware games and cost wise compared.
2. Your second point just doesnt make sense to me. Gamecube is not part of the VC therefore Gamecube games are not old classics which can be downloaded onto the Wii. The games are OLD, but cheaper than Wii games and not over-priced (for the most part).

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Around the Network
PATRIOT7ME said:
VC games aren't pricey. You are just cheap

Big spender eh? So when you used all your money did you take out a loan from VG Chartz? Like around $700?

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

5$ is way overpriced for NES and SNES games.... especially because since 1995 or so, they are basically a >10MB download that runs perfectly on any PC.... same goes for NeoGeo, Gen, GB, MS, GG, TurboGFX..... and it's easy as hell to find even to this day...
I'm not aware of the situation of N64 games, but you get the picture...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

They are highly overpriced (especially in the UK). I can get PS1 games for cheaper than SNES games and they took a lot more work and money to produce.

And I don't get the argument people make about shipping and how old games still cost loads if you buy them. With VC games, the game you're downloading is just stream of data of an old game that's only what? 10Mb? if that? If you buy an original cart you're not just paying for a game, you're paying for a piece of history.

Scoobes said:
They are highly overpriced (especially in the UK). I can get PS1 games for cheaper than SNES games and they took a lot more work and money to produce.

And I don't get the argument people make about shipping and how old games still cost loads if you buy them. With VC games, the game you're downloading is just stream of data of an old game that's only what? 10Mb? if that? If you buy an original cart you're not just paying for a game, you're paying for a piece of history.

Thank you my good man. Some people just won't get that through their skulls :P

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

theARTIST0017 said:
Scoobes said:

Thank you my good man. Some people just won't get that through their skulls :P

That's true.  But something to consider is that you are paying for more than ~10MB worth of data.  You are also paying for them to make the games work on the Wii and also to maintain the servers the games are downloaded from.  Also, if the game has any licensing fees, it pays for those also.