By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto stealing ideas from Insomniac?

Insomniac's been getting a lot of shit over this. You always have to watch what you say...

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

I think its kinda flattering that Nintendo called it Super Mario Galaxy since I thought of that name right after Super Mario World came out.

DonWii said:

Miyamoto's first idea for Spherical worlds, back in 2000.

The ideas behined Mario 128 were incorporated in Pikmin and Super Mario Galaxy.

Of course, Spherical Worlds were done even before that in Sonic Adventure 2 even before that, but who's counting....

Also, I'm sure that Miyamoto is very flattered that every 3D game since take elements from Super Mario 64. He just doesn't try to toot his own horn.

But that game sucked so yeah.... 

couldn't be due to the fact that real worlds really *are* spherical, could it? don't think that Insomniac really came up with that concept

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Oh noes! The universe stole the idea of spherical planets and stars from insomniac too!

Please, someone's been reading too much of their own marketing hype.

Around the Network

Yeah, I remember the spherical world levels. They were very simple and used the same gravity as the other Ratchet levels. You would launch yourself upward with little catapults. Honestly they were my least favorite segments of those games and they were very poorly designed while lacking any real platforming elements. The idea of a spherical 3D world has been around since long before Ratchet, including Nintendo's own demos...

Earth is round. The End.

"He continued, "It would be amazing to think that [Mario creator Shigeru] Miyamoto-san thought that was so cool that he wanted to incorporate it into Mario Galaxy. Granted, he's doing it in a different way, but it's still a spherical world, so it's flattering to see those sorts of things.""--hahahahahahahhhahaha---

thats great they just made every nintendo fan that has a ps3 avoid this game---

Also i like the whole--yeah he is doing this thing completly differnt then what we did but its still ours

Its not the sphericalness that makes galaxy cool, its the gravity =

z64dan said:
I think its kinda flattering that Nintendo called it Super Mario Galaxy since I thought of that name right after Super Mario World came out.

The point isn't who did it first, its who did it properly first. The fact is that even if you question who had the idea first, the idea is based off of reality to begin with. And once you realise that the only thing important left is who did it properly?  If people think one is crap and no fun and the other is lots of fun then who really deserves the credit? 

I don't care if chinese scholars had the idea to strap rockets to a chair and go to the moon 500 years ago.  But I do care that NASA was able to go to the moon. Its as simple as that. 

To Each Man, Responsibility