By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto stealing ideas from Insomniac?

http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=9721

No, we're not sure we believe it, either. But, perhaps eager to generate some coverage for it PlayStation 3 platformer, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, developer Insomniac has claimed Super Mario Galaxy was inspired by one of R&C's earlier outings.

Speaking to Kikizo, Insomniac's marketing director Ryan Schneider said the team was flattered that Miyamoto had noticed them.

"There's evidence all around us I think, of certain games that have borrowed from Ratchet and Clank," he said. "One that we're even extremely flattered by is Super Mario Galaxy, with their spherical worlds; we did spherical worlds in Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal."

He continued, "It would be amazing to think that [Mario creator Shigeru] Miyamoto-san thought that was so cool that he wanted to incorporate it into Mario Galaxy. Granted, he's doing it in a different way, but it's still a spherical world, so it's flattering to see those sorts of things."

Boy, you know you're getting older when the shoddy marketing tricks start getting more blatant.

Around the Network

Miyamoto got the spherical worlds from Mario 128, before Ratchet was even thought of. Nice try though Insomniac, but great minds think alike.

Never argue with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brawl FC: 0473-7449-8088

@soriku

Super mario galaxy was invented or even thought of in 2001.

Who cares anyway, everyone usually copies nintendo.

mM

Miyamoto's first idea for Spherical worlds, back in 2000.

The ideas behined Mario 128 were incorporated in Pikmin and Super Mario Galaxy.

Of course, Spherical Worlds were done even before that in Sonic Adventure 2 even before that, but who's counting....

Also, I'm sure that Miyamoto is very flattered that every 3D game since take elements from Super Mario 64. He just doesn't try to toot his own horn.

In addition, being a fan of the Ratchet Franchise, I doubt Miyamoto would make an entire game based on the WORST segments of those two Ratchet games.

Around the Network

Honestly, I had that idea after playing Banjo Kazooie and it is likely that it is a fairly evolutionary concept ... (probably on a similar level to adding vehicles to a FPS)

The value of it is in its implementation and I really doubt that Ratchet and Clank would be on the same level as Super Mario Galaxy given the history of both series.

Blue Spheres from Sonic 3. It bears the same resemblance to the Ratchet worlds as Galaxy does - that is, little.

No this has been proven BS. Mario 128 vid is the proof. Case closed.

Aren't planets kind of................spherical? I mean if that is so then isn't the idea like a few billion years old?

lol. he "stole" spherical worlds from another video game ... not from like seeing a picture of planets in our solar system or something like that...

You Spoony Bard!