By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - UPDATE: GT5 passes 10 million - Guess the lifetime sales for Uncharted 2, God Of War III and Gran Tursimo 5

GT5 still need to receive any price cut in UK which is surprising.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
shanbcn said:

GT5 still need to receive any price cut in UK which is surprising.

I'm confused. Does it not need a cut or does it?

Well it does need price cut to get back in UK charts, in other EU countries is doing great as showed by latest Nintendo charts.

CGI-Quality said:

God of War III quickly approaching the 4 million mark. Looking back at this thread, it's impossible not to get a smile out of some of the early predictions!

Tell me about it, GoW and U2 have almost doubled a lot of the predictions in this thread. And most people put GT5 at 6-8 million.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

CGI-Quality said:

Currently:

Game Americas
Japan
EMEAA
Worldwide

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Action
2.45 0.12 2.13 4.71

God of War III (PS3)
2.55 0.12 1.27 3.94

Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Racer
1.77 0.62 3.99 6.38

This is where Sony was at their strongest IMO. The 2009 to 2010 period. They gave their exclusives a fairly good window selling before the next big game released. Killzone 2 had basically the entire first half of 2009 (excluding inFamous because it get off to a slow start). Uncharted 2 had holiday 2009 and the first quarter of 2010. God of War basically had most of 2010 until GT5 released.

But they messed up in 2011 IMO. They released KZ3 one month after LBP2. Then they relased Socom 4 two months after that, then inFamous 2 two months later. They tried to pack too many games in the first half of the year and their fanbases overlapped one way or another. Most of the blame could be placed on Media Molecule & Zipper for not having their games ready on time.

What do you think?

immortal thread is IMMORTAL!!!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Jay520 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Currently:

Game Americas
Japan
EMEAA
Worldwide

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
2.45 0.12 2.13 4.71

God of War III (PS3)
2.55 0.12 1.27 3.94

This is where Sony was at their strongest IMO. The 2009 to 2010 period. They gave their exclusives a fairly good window selling before the next big game released. Killzone 2 had basically the entire first half of 2009 (excluding inFamous because it get off to a slow start). Uncharted 2 had holiday 2009 and the first quarter of 2010. God of War basically had most of 2010 until GT5 released.

But they messed up in 2011 IMO. They released KZ3 one month after LBP2. Then they relased Socom 4 two months after that, then inFamous 2 two months later. They tried to pack too many games in the first half of the year and their fanbases overlapped one way or another. Most of the blame could be placed on Media Molecule & Zipper for not having their games ready on time.

What do you think?

Where is the issue though? Sure, LBP sold a bit less than it's predecessor (of course, holiday played a role there), but inFAMOUS 2 sold just like the first and Killzone 3 is selling faster than Killzone 2 in the same time frame.  SOCOM 4 didn't do so hot for a number of reasons, but it's release window, I'm thinking, is hardly a major one.

Besides, the games you mentioned, outside of LBP, aren't sellers like God of War or (now) Uncharted. None of them can even begin to look in GT's direction, and with that knowlegde, I think Sony has spaced their releases out just fine. One or two lower selling games (SOCOM 4 & Motorstorm: Apocalypse) out of 10-20 is not a bad ratio.

Agreed GT is just such a huge franchise. With almost NO launch hype it sold 6.4 million in just a couple months. I don't think many other games can do that. With the hype Uncharted 2 or GOW had GT could have easily done 8 million by now. Anyways his Uncharted prediction was off. But who's wasn't? God of War was pretty darn close but it's selling 30k a week now so it can easliy do 5 million. And GT5 looks right on track

Would be amazing if GoW3 could hit 5 Million.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
Would be amazing if GoW3 could hit 5 Million.

I think it's quite possible to happen sometime in the FAR future. Possibly after the PS4 releases.

My god there are so many horrid predictions in this thread!

I could have sworn I posted my predictions in this thread a long time ago but I guess not.

Wow lol people were so off for Uncharted 2. I don't think one person could have thought it would be for where it is today. God of War 3 looked pretty damn underestimated as well. And GT5 looks to do about 8.5 million but if bundled decently than 10 million