By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Confirmed, 40GB PS3 to hit Japan as well!

Doesn't say which Cell, the 90 or 65nm.

Just Ben: PS3 its "first" Christmas? Its his second Christmas as the PS3 was released on November the 11th last year In Japan ;)

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

I´m starting to worry this could make consumers angry and (sorry) pritty pissed off.

With every price drop and new model the confusion gets bigger and bigger.

How long will Sony be able to keep it´s sales on a good level just with price drops and new SKU´s? There may be a point when all of those people who want a PS3 because it is a PS3 (--> not because of games, meaning they do not have to be convinced anymore, they are just waiting for a price drop) already bought it. And at this point a price drop won´t help much if there are no games to back it up.

And Sony is taking higher and higher losses...

40Gb for $340 (39980 Yen)
20Gb for $385 (44980 Yen)
60Gb for $470 (54980 Yen)
DualShock 3 for £47 (5500 Yen)

So the 20Gb has dropped around $20 and the new 40Gb model is coming in around $45 cheaper still. This should help sales, although we shall wait and see if the sales are of 40Gb models or 20Gb models and this will show how much BC is important in Japan.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

*~Onna76~* said:
Doesn't say which Cell, the 90 or 65nm.

Just Ben: PS3 its "first" Christmas? Its his second Christmas as the PS3 was released on November the 11th last year In Japan ;)

First full christmas than. I don't count release X-Mass as full. Especialy for the Wii and the PS3. Both had huge supply issues last year.  By the way, will you buy one for the new prices Onna? Will you buy it in europe or do you import it from japan? What version would you buy?

the white PS3 looks really sexy .. well I already have a black one , but I guess I will import a white DS3 controler :)

Around the Network

I don't know, I need to think about this real hard and "yes" I want a Japanese PS3, but don't wish to feel screwed when I will buy it too soon. This other news popped up.

I already posted this a few days ago at VGchartz, but without the rumor about the 160GB being registered by Sony.

http://ps3.qj.net/Rumor-Japan-to-get-160GB-PS3/pg/49/aid/104314

Word is being passed around various internet forums about a new PlayStation 3 SKU with specs that will either make your jaw drop, or raise your eyebrows. It all started when folks found out that Sony Sony registered a certain model labeled CECHG06, similar to the 40GB PS3's CECHG01.

With Sony's mysterious machine in the records, some who claim to be insiders revealed what they stated to be the next PS3 SKU's specs straight from Sony Computer Entertainment International's (SCEI) Japan offices. Here are the details on what's supposed to be a monster package that will be made available in Japan:

Code: CECHG06 (SPECIFICATION)
Sony PlayStation 3
160gb 2.5 SATA 5400rpm HDD
CELL Broadband Engine (65nm process) @ 3.2ghz
PPU x1, SPE x8
RSX GPU (65nm process) @ 550mhz
Blu-Ray Optical Disc Drive @ 2x
Memory Card Reader- Memory Stick Duo, Compact Flash, Secure
Digital
6x USB 2.0 ports
2x HDMI 1.3 ports
3x Gigabit ethernet ports
DUALSHOCK 3 controller
As other forum posters would say, six USB ports and two HDMI ports sound a wee bit excessive. According to someone who claims to be an insider, the 20GB PS3 in Japan will be cut off and the 60GB will receive a price cut. There won't be any Japanese 80GB SKUs, so the hardcore would have to look at the hefty 160GB package.

Keep in mind that we are yet to receive any confirmations. While there is indeed a CECHG06 model registered to Sony since September 21, 2007 as listed on Singapore's consumer protection website, the leaked specs are currently without proper credit. We're all ears for any official Sony statements, so watch this space!

I hope Sony will make some statements about this soon.

Sounds unrealistic to me. Maybe they cutting of the 20 and 60 gig in Japan and do a new high price sku, but why 3 gigabit and 2 hdmi ports? Why should anyone pay for 3 ethernet ports? For what 2 HDMI ports? May I ask why you import a PS3? I mean after the fees it should cost you the same then buying it in Europe. The games are region free on the PS3 but the Blue Ray movie is not. Because of the full BC in the Japanese models? The code could be for the white color.

*~Onna76~* said:
I don't know, I need to think about this real hard and "yes" I want a Japanese PS3, but don't wish to feel screwed when I will buy it too soon. This other news popped up.

I already posted this a few days ago at VGchartz, but without the rumor about the 160GB being registered by Sony.

http://ps3.qj.net/Rumor-Japan-to-get-160GB-PS3/pg/49/aid/104314

Word is being passed around various internet forums about a new PlayStation 3 SKU with specs that will either make your jaw drop, or raise your eyebrows. It all started when folks found out that Sony Sony registered a certain model labeled CECHG06, similar to the 40GB PS3's CECHG01.

Keep in mind that we are yet to receive any confirmations. While there is indeed a CECHG06 model registered to Sony since September 21, 2007 as listed on Singapore's consumer protection website, the leaked specs are currently without proper credit. We're all ears for any official Sony statements, so watch this space!

I hope Sony will make some statements about this soon.

FYI
The labels of 40GB model in different countries:

Japan CECHH00/CECHH00 CW
Taiwan CECHG07/CECHG07 CW

I couldn't find the model number for PAL region, is it CECHG01?.

I would assume CECHG06 is the model number for Singapore.

Hope that will help you come up with a decision :)

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

@Just Ben: No codes are for the 40GB:

CECHH00 for the clear black
CECHH00 CW for the ceramic white

I'm waiting, I'm too confused to even be able to make a decission.

Since you want a PS3, Onna, I think you should just go ahead and the first SKU that fits your needs. I'm assuming that you just want to play games on it, so I would recommend the 40gb PS3, as it's the cheapest way to get it. Plus, on top of that, you're pretty much getting the same thing as the 60gb PS3. Backwards compatiility is nice, but is it really going to mean that much to you when the playstation 2 is only getting sports games and movie games?