By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Little Disappointments

I haven't played Wii since I lost mine in April, so after finally buying a new one, I was excited to catch up on the last 4 months of console gaming.

1) The Conduit

A glitch with a door not opening prevented me from getting past level 2.  I spent an hour walking around that damn airport only to find out via a strategy guide that it wasn't my fault I was stuck.

I predicted this game would get a 70 metacritic rating, and even though the moderators here locked my thread for "trolling",  I was right.  I have no interest in playing it further after that glitch, and I'm not too excited about multiplayer either.  I was impressed at all the controller configuration, but in the end, it just feels like a wanna-be PC game.  I want an FPS that is truly designed for Wii, with motion and all, and Red Steel 2 looks to be heading in that direction.

However, I do think it's funny how big of a deal journalists make about the "jaggy" graphics.  They look great for a console.  Believe me, the jump from 480p (Wii) to 640p (PS3's bioshock/360's halo 3) isn't nearly as big as the jump to 1200p (PC).  All consoles look the same after you play on a nice rig.

2) Little King's Story

Wow, beautiful style.  Aww, cute story.  Great interface.  Wait, what?  An RTS on Wii that doesn't use IR?  Pointless.  I mean pointer-less.  I quit after the second mission due to my pointer-bias, but I can see why people love the game.

3) Wii Sports Resort

This is now my favorite game.  I always wanted a dog that could catch frisbee, and now I have one.  It's amazing how well WM+ works, the power of my throw, the angle, and no glaring mis-reads either.  I played Frisbee Dog all day until I hit my high score of 1000, then realized I should try some other games too.

Golf is the one game that has me a little worried about WM+.  Frequently when I try to swing, it reads my back swing as a forward swing, and this is right after I calibrate it.  Anyone else experiencing this? I thought WM+ was supposed to fix that problem.

Up next are all the EA games, Sports Active, Tiger 10, Grand Slam Tennis, and Boom Blox Bash Party.  Any other games from the last 4 months I should check out?

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network

warning grand slam tennis online can make u addicted :)

Improvements are caused by people who complain

I remember that thread about your prediction for The Conduit, the mods seriously messed up there.

#1 You should give Conduit another try. I've had a couple little glitches when using the melee, but, meh. I fault HVS for being a young ambitious group that seems eager to learn from mistakes.

The online is great and the overall single player experience is really good too.

#2 yeah, that lack of an obvious made me not buy the game.

#3 still deciding on this one.

EDIT: sorry.

NPC Pikmin is great, Ghostbusters is fun coop game, maybe you'd like Punch Out Wii or Excitebots. Madworld was good and is found cheap now. I think that is about all I can add to what you already have listed off the top of my head.

LKS really isn't a RTS. There's a lot more to it than that.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

same thing happened to me, however I did not consider it a glitch but rather something you have to quickly get through or your stuck.

i figured it was something to prevent you from progressing further in your mission

I haven't even tried golf in Wii Sports Resort. Try Tiger Woods 10 and all your concerns about controlling golf with WM+ will blow away in the wind.

The pointer thing seems to have to do with Japanese developers. It seems like they're terrified of IR while the west loves it more than accelerometers. Crystal Bearers is the only big Japanese game which I've seen really tackle the pointer outside of Nintendo themselves.

As for the Conduit, I haven't had any crippling bugs in single-player. I get burned by game-killing bugs online way too often, though. I'm still getting my money's worth out of the game, though. Love the weapons they came up with.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I"m a huge fan of the Conduit bro you should give it more playtime. It's actually a good game.

1. Your thread DESERVED to be locked. Look at the title and the way you trolled an unreleased game from the equivalent of Treyarch trying to turn into Infinity Ward. I found the game to be very muc hworth the $50, maybe even $60, just for the multi-player. Also, I will go as far as to say that it is the best controlled FPS EVER. Yes, even ABOVE PC.

2. Never interested in it or looked at it.

3. If WSR is really your favorite game EVER, your opinions no longer matter to me for that reason.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give The Conduit another shot, but not because of the jerk above me haha!

4) I just did my first workout in EA Sports Active.  It's an excellent concept, and the explanation videos are as good if not better quality than aerobic DVD's.  

However, to continue on my wave of disappointment, the game is so finicky about Wiimote/Nunchuk placement that it destroys the entire workout. I'll do a rep, and the game won't detect my movements so it pauses my workout for a few seconds. No matter what I do, or how closely I pay attention to the Wiimote placement, there is still a lag between reps while it detects movement.  That completely throws off my tempo, and puts too much time in-between reps to burn any real calories.

"My Fitness Coach" is still the best workout you can get on Wii, and that's sad because it's a PS2 port.  If EA Sports Active would include a button to skip to the next rep, or be less strict on movement detection, it would be the best.

NPC Pikmin is great, Ghostbusters is fun coop game, maybe you'd like Punch Out Wii or Excitebots. Madworld was good and is found cheap now. I think that is about all I can add to what you already have listed off the top of my head.

Yeah I need to give Pikmin a shot, especially since I didn't play the second one on GC.  Any idea how Wii Ghostbusters compares to the PC version?  I like the art style of the Wii version more.  Punch Out is on my to-play list.  I've already played Excitebots (loved it) and Madworld (didn't love it).

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8