By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - $199 or $249 PS3 could be on the way

welshbloke said:
Cost to manufacture is only one aspect the other being overheads. Also although we believe the original console cost $800 to make this is only an educated guess.

I think if we take Sony as a whole it is extremely unlikey they will reduce prices by that much even if the numbers stacked up as the money will be needed elsewhere in the same division or other divsions within Sony.

If they can afford the $100 price cut then that will be all you will see as it does not make commercial sense to enter into a price war with Microsoft and potentially Nintendo. I think personally they have done the right thing by delaying the price cut for as long as they were able.

No, it's wasn't/isn't an educated guess. It was told, based on the cost of components back in 2006

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746482p1.html

Around the Network

^^ Next-Gen.biz did an estimation.  AKA an educated guess.

A $199 PS3 and a $249 PSP Go...... Hmmmmm Yeah never gonna happen.

First, the only time a $199 PS3 was even mentioned was the stupid joke by David Jaffe which he pronounced as such.

Second, the now ~$250 production cost (if it is that low. still no confirmation) could only possibly be for the upcoming Slim models, NOT the current 80/160gb fats.

Third, you have to account for them selling the consoles for less than the retail price to the actual resellers. Even if the cost of production for the Slims really is as low as $250, they have to sell them for about $15 less each to the retailers. Then as someone has mentioned before, this does not include the costs of packaging or the added controller. If Sony launched a $300 Slim, they would have to sell it to retailers for about $285 and after the other costs are factored in they would just be breaking even per console sold.

And I still don't believe Sony is producing Slims at $250 a pop. They only gave us a "rough percentage" based on an initial cost we can only estimate. After all the reductions to make a slim, it seems they would still be about $25-50 more than $250, so about $275-300 to produce rather than $250. I guess we can only wait for some final confirmations and clarifications.

I would be surprised to see the price to drop under $300. If it does hit $249, Im gonna pick up another one for my bedroom.

Tifa got MOVES!

$200 pricecut...gl for Sony's future success.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

wrong forum.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
welshbloke said:
Cost to manufacture is only one aspect the other being overheads. Also although we believe the original console cost $800 to make this is only an educated guess.

I think if we take Sony as a whole it is extremely unlikey they will reduce prices by that much even if the numbers stacked up as the money will be needed elsewhere in the same division or other divsions within Sony.

If they can afford the $100 price cut then that will be all you will see as it does not make commercial sense to enter into a price war with Microsoft and potentially Nintendo. I think personally they have done the right thing by delaying the price cut for as long as they were able.

No, it's wasn't/isn't an educated guess. It was told, based on the cost of components back in 2006

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746482p1.html

This article states the cost of manufaturing a ps3 based off of summing up what it cost to buy the parts individually and making an assumption at the assembly cost.  this is what people call an educated guess.  the figure is not exact but instead uses known information to make a guess at the desired unknown information.