By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The economy is not getting better.

megaman79 said:
Not true, The sheer repetition of these types of threads are serving to quite any alternative views on these issues.

Just be happy Communisthater isn't the one posting most of them.

Around the Network

One thing that has bothered me about "The economy is getting better because it is getting worse at a slower pace" is how poor the analysis is ...

When I was watching the news and the report came out saying that GDP only declined 1% in the last quarter the analysis presented was that was a big improvement from the 6% decline in Q4 and we were near to hitting bottom; and we would see growth in Q4 of 2009. Part of what is so annoying about this is how seasonality seems to be ignored by all of their analysis, and a steady fall in GDP in the quarters where the least money is spent on unnecessary purchases is not a particularly good sign at all.

Being that Christmas is a big orgy of materialistic spending that determines whether many companies are profitable or not, how "Good" of a holiday season do you think most companies are going to have when most households have faced (or fear facing) reduced income due to people who are unemployed, underemployed, or who accepted a 0% pay increase or a decrease in their income to maintain their job?

In the UK two of our banks have just posted massive profits including Barclays.
There might be hope over here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8180775.stm

Taz! said:
In the UK two of our banks have just posted massive profits including Barclays.
There might be hope over here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8180775.stm

I just want to point out that this is why the markets are not a good indicator of the state of the economy ...

While I'm not specifically talking about the banks, many companies have been able to meet their profit projections through reducing their costs at a faster rate than their revenue has declined. While cutting costs and laying people off may make companies balance sheets look better, when it is done on a wide scale (as it has been done) it translates into further reductions in GDP in the long run.

megaman79 said:
Not true, The sheer repetition of these types of threads are serving to quite any alternative views on these issues.

Well, then we need things to actually get better and Obama magical plan to work for these threads to stop.

I don't expect them to stop.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
SciFiBoy said:
Squilliam said:
@ megaman: Whilst I don't agree with what he says at least half the time here I do respect his right to say it and I respect his opinions and consider them even if they are counter to my own beliefs. Just because you don't agree with what he says, doesn't mean hes doing anything wrong.

true, but i do think that there are a few too many threads like this on here though, it seems we get someones input on "Why Obama is Wrong" almost every day at the moment, you would think they would just bump an old thread, there are plenty to choose from.

There has been a steady increase in the number of threads being posted about Obama being "Wrong" at a very similar rate to the rate of increase of people who strongly disagree with him ... Expect it to get worse before it gets better (if it gets better) because the deficit is going to be adjusted to reflect the higher costs and lower tax revenues of the first half of the year, and when average Americans see that the government gave away $4500 for people to destroy perfectly good cars while they drive a 20 year old junker they are going to be pissed.

HappySqurriel said:
SciFiBoy said:
Squilliam said:
@ megaman: Whilst I don't agree with what he says at least half the time here I do respect his right to say it and I respect his opinions and consider them even if they are counter to my own beliefs. Just because you don't agree with what he says, doesn't mean hes doing anything wrong.

true, but i do think that there are a few too many threads like this on here though, it seems we get someones input on "Why Obama is Wrong" almost every day at the moment, you would think they would just bump an old thread, there are plenty to choose from.

There has been a steady increase in the number of threads being posted about Obama being "Wrong" at a very similar rate to the rate of increase of people who strongly disagree with him ... Expect it to get worse before it gets better (if it gets better) because the deficit is going to be adjusted to reflect the higher costs and lower tax revenues of the first half of the year, and when average Americans see that the government gave away $4500 for people to destroy perfectly good cars while they drive a 20 year old junker they are going to be pissed.

And FYI, I have been posting about the same amount for the last year. The deference is all the posts from the other side have disappeared.

It’s hard to post “The government is doing great”, or “Obama has done X so very well” when everything Washington has done over the last 6 years or so has sucked so much.

People were so excited when Obama promised change. The reality of it, is the only change we have is the same old crap done worse.

And this is going to me my only "I told you so moment", but for ever I was telling the Democrats it's not a Republican problem, it's a Government problem. Both parties have it wrong.

After 3 years of a democratic congress, and 8 months of a Democratic president showing no improvement, I think it's dawning on people just what I was saying.

Republicans and Democrats are different sides of the same coin. We need a party that will actually fix the problems in Washington, and neither party is remotely close to what we need.

So, the reason it looks slanted, is we used to have debates on how Republicans screwed everything up, and we just have to wait for the Democrats to enter office. Now that they have, and it's no better, it's hard for people who support either party to make a post promoting them.

So, all you have left, is me pushing the same, unchanged, and so far proven right, message.

Government is broken, and nothing I see in the near future is going to fix it. The only way to fix it, is the people of the US need to do something about it, other then vote for the next lair with a nice smile.

Republicans never had 59-60 senators.

Repent or be destroyed

I don't know Mafoo,

The people who are the strongest supporters of the Democrats are likely going to take the stance that things would have been worse had the government done nothing, even though the government (essentially) did do nothing being that only a small portion of what they were doing was focused on helping the economy; and very little of that was every expected to be started by now. They will accept that the projections that sold the stimulus were lies that were used to sell a political agenda because they support the agenda, even though it will probably make their life worse off.

The people who are the strongest supporters of the Republicans are likely going to take the stance that the government should have taken different actions, not that the government should have stood back and allowed the system to correct itself. Many of them would not have a problem with the government having a $2 Trillion deficit and accomplishing nothing as long as it meant that their was progress for their political agenda; even though this agenda would probably make their lives worse off.

The independants are mostly disinterested because of the partisan politics and would readily vote for another big government politician if they could make progress in stopping the constant fighting; or atleast get it so that it is no longer on TV 24/7.

There really is only a small number of us who truely believe that the government is the problem, and that the reaction to a government action is often larger and more negative than the problem the action was attempting to solve.