By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The economy is not getting better.

Strangely enough it is actually possible to borrow yourself out of debt. All you need to do is make more money out of the money you borrow then you have to pay back in debt. Private business does this all the time. That is the basis for the entire banking system. You can be opposed to it on principle, but in reality it does actually work.

Granted that you spend the money wisely of coarse. Was this a good investment. Well the cars that are being sold are more fuel efficient, and that should reduce the export of currency outside of the country. Not only that it should help reduce the price of petroleum. Which would mean cheaper gas at the pump, and cheaper electricity. Then we have the jobs it can maintain or stimulate which should make for more people able to pay taxes.

The point is we don't know if it was money well spent. If it nets Americans five to six billion in savings over the next five years. Well then it was a one hundred percent return on investment which is much more then any interest incurred. You really have to view all the angles, but as far as government spending goes this at least benefits the American people. How much is the only question two hundred thousand people got cheaper cars.

Speaking to the Republicans. I really wish they were a fiscally conservative party, but they are not. They just want to debt spend on different things, and want to cut taxes so they have even less real money to spend. Sure the Democrats are known for tax and spend, but in the end all the Republican party was about was spending. Maybe in a few years the Republican party will get off the moral high horse they have been placating, and get back to being all about running the government in a responsible manner. I doubt it but we can dream.

Around the Network

It is remarkable how you seen to get away with blatant attacks on Democratic leadership, policies and views.

It's almost as though the majority of mods agree with u.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

@ megaman: Whilst I don't agree with what he says at least half the time here I do respect his right to say it and I respect his opinions and consider them even if they are counter to my own beliefs. Just because you don't agree with what he says, doesn't mean hes doing anything wrong.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
@ megaman: Whilst I don't agree with what he says at least half the time here I do respect his right to say it and I respect his opinions and consider them even if they are counter to my own beliefs. Just because you don't agree with what he says, doesn't mean hes doing anything wrong.

true, but i do think that there are a few too many threads like this on here though, it seems we get someones input on "Why Obama is Wrong" almost every day at the moment, you would think they would just bump an old thread, there are plenty to choose from.

SciFiBoy said:
Squilliam said:

true, but i do think that there are a few too many threads like this on here though, it seems we get someones input on "Why Obama is Wrong" almost every day at the moment, you would think they would just bump an old thread, there are plenty to choose from.

Maybe, but I believe that the Off-Topic discussion is becoming a lot more intelligent than the main forums because of the kind of debate being fostered here. I know he posts here a lot, but it hasn't really made the place any worse. From what I've seen, whilst the Obama = bad thread has been running throughout all the threads they have at least been on different topics and thus probably earn themselves new threads.

Tease.

Around the Network

Not true, The sheer repetition of these types of threads are serving to quite any alternative views on these issues.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
Not true, The sheer repetition of these types of threads are serving to quite any alternative views on these issues.

The sheer number of threads about how the PS3 had no games or PS3 sucks etc did not stop any alternative views on those issues from flourishing. If you've got a problem with it, why don't you make your own threads to counter the number Mafoo is making.

Tease.

No shit! While there is clearly an attempt to foster a sense of optimism in media, conducting business in US, Europe, Russia and Eastern Europe I can only see that in many cases the bottom of the curve may not even have been reached yet.

Poland, however, is actually less screwed than most, because their banks were only lightly exposed to the crash - good for them!

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Dodece said:

Speaking to the Republicans. I really wish they were a fiscally conservative party, but they are not. They just want to debt spend on different things, and want to cut taxes so they have even less real money to spend.

Yes, the republicans had a huge spending problem. Up until Obama took office, the Bush administration spent more then anyone before him (Obama makes Bush's spending look like nothing though).

But, at least they got one thing right. Lowering taxes most likely brings more dollars into government. It sure doesn't bring less. Again, 19.5% of GDP is what we bring in every year. The trick to bring more dollars in is to raise GDP, and not worry about the tax rate. One of the best ways to raise GDP, is lower taxes.

The Republicans generated more money for government, not less. They spent it like it was going out of style however.

As for borrowing your way out of debt, what your talking about is borrowing capital for the purposes of generating revenue. please don't try and say this is what washington is doing.

And thanks Squiliam :)

One of my favourite quotes goes something like this: I may not agree with what you are saying, but I defend to the death your right to say it.

Tease.