By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSN vs. Xbox Live - which is better now?

makingmusic476 said:

Live beats out PSN from a community stand point (cross game voice chat alone gives it a nice advantage, imo).

However, the PlayStation Store has more content than XBLA, between the deal Sony has to publish PSN titles, the ps1 classics, the video store, etc.

Steam destroys them both.  :P

Does anyone actually know the true figures for each networks (psn and live) numbers as that would be good to know? how many games, dlc, films etc and I mean official numbers with links to back them up?

And no Steam does not destroy either of them, it crushes the wii's online system but that really is it, I've used steam for a while now and it really is poor, a ripoff of psn and live which went horribily wrong somewhere along the way....

Around the Network
FKNetwork said:
makingmusic476 said:

Live beats out PSN from a community stand point (cross game voice chat alone gives it a nice advantage, imo).

However, the PlayStation Store has more content than XBLA, between the deal Sony has to publish PSN titles, the ps1 classics, the video store, etc.

Steam destroys them both.  :P

Does anyone actually know the true figures for each networks (psn and live) numbers as that would be good to know? how many games, dlc, films etc and I mean official numbers with links to back them up?

And no Steam does not destroy either of them, it crushes the wii's online system but that really is it, I've used steam for a while now and it really is poor, a ripoff of psn and live which went horribily wrong somewhere along the way....

Steam has cross game text chat, cross game voice chat, the ability to form groups that have their own pages on Steam.com, excellent management of games you have purchased through the system, the abilty to host and download mods through Steam, and the ability to set up older games with the system as "non-Steam games", allowing you to use most of Steam's services with any and all games.

From a pure gaming and community standpoint, Steam is tough to beat. Obviously the platform doesn't have much in the way of media center capabilities compared to PSN/XBL, seeing as it's designed for PC, which has more than enough home theater apps already.

Xoj said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:
PullusPardus said:
man, i hate these my Dick vs your Cock fights they're so childish and stupid.
there i said it!! and i don't care.

Although I wouldn't have put it as harshly, , I agree with your point Pullus. It's an OPINION people, you either like one, the other, or neither. There are no right or wrong answers in here.

This is what happens when people post in absolutes i.e: "LIVE is better, no question" or "PSN is the greatest because it is". It's pretty ridiculous since neither is factual.

Things are factual when you bring offerings and proof to the table.

Some of the offereings of LIVE people don't care for, and the same goes with PSN. However...

PSN: HOME, VidZone, Web Browser, TV/Movie download service

Games: Fat Princess, Wipeout HD, Flower, Pixel Junk series, SIREN: Blood Curse, Tekken 5: DR etc, etc...

Xbox Live: In-Game voice chat, Cross Game Invite, Voice Messaging, Party Chat, Netflix, Media Center, Windows Live Messenger, Last F.M, Facebook, Twitter, Major Neilsons new's, Inside Xbox tips. More DLC and features for party titles like Guitar Hero and Rock Band, Sponsored events. Play against celebrities.

Games: Braid (also coming to PSN), Castle Crashers (also coming to PSN), UNO, Paperboy, Geometry Wars...I buy less games on XBLA, so I know of less exclusives for it.

Hot Xbox 360 Arcade exclusive games that aren't games you mentioned (Nor Avatar games): Shadow Complex, The Warriors: Street Brawl, Virtual On, Banjo-Tooie, 'Splosion Man, King of Fighters 98, Magic: The Gathering, Garou Mow: Mark of the wolves, etc, etc,

Xbox 360 Aracade Avatar games: Joy Ride, 1 vs 100 (Playing with the real celebrities, with chances to win real prizes), Bomberman Live, Uno Rush, Sorry: Sliders & Brain Challenge.

@ Zizzla

Now, I've listed the features but it doesn't change anything. How have I posted one-sided, what did I leave out? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I post, people will like what they like, nothing you can do about it. And by the way, when did I say I chose one service COMPLETELY over the other? I said there are aspects of PSN I like over LIVE and vice versa. READ what I post.

Nothing you, or S.T.A.G.E. said for that matter, proves factual. As with me, you have an opinion, that is all. I don't see how people's opinions of either can be wrong. The only thing I see wrong is posters telling other posters that they're wrong for believing PSN is superior to LIVE. That's preposterous because not everyone has to like what you like, or what you perceive as better.

I don't particularly like repeating myself but I'm really trying to make my point clear.

Fixed*

LOL @everything on green.

sony webrowser counts as many of those features mentioned there,facebook,gametrailers, twitter, last fm, youtube, dailymotion and previously hulu are all accesible on ps3 browser.

sony also have Qore, Pulse, and one of the biggest digitial store for movies in the market also access to a ever growing ps1 games classics.

the whole XMB it's a media center.. it won emmy being innovative multimedia interface, for being simple yet advance and fast.

and the ps3 have ingame voice chat, ingame text chat 16 users, it video chat, it just don't have crossgame voice chat, and invites except for games like rresident evil 5. or warhawk (in home). which are the only 2 thinks the ps3 seriously lacks right now.

crossgame voice chat was already promised after 2.7 was released, its going slow since microsoft have to many patents for voice chat on a gaming console.

The Sony web browser doesn't count as those things right there, because nothing between them and those companies is official. To have superior online, you don't actually have to have a webpage. It's about community, and those companies agreed with Microsoft to become apart of the Xbox Live community.

Qore is a joke compared to Xbox live Marketplace. (No offense)

Too bad you don't have cross game voice chat (When it's usually needed for team work in certain games). Too bad you guys don't actually have parties. Why can no one admit that when it comes to a true sense of online community, Xbox Live is better? All this pride is killing me. I am talking about offerings when you put things down to pen and paper.

FKNetwork said:
CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:
CGI-Quality said:
FKNetwork said:

^I did read the whole thread actually, I never post in a thread until I have fully read it....

Then the highlighted comment shouldn't have been posted. Also, have you any answers to my questions.....?

Yup I do^

Shoot...

I would but seeing as all our views are only an "opinion" is it really worth carrying on this argument for? seems to me some of us will never ever agree on the live vs psn issue no matter what we say or bring to the table....

And besides, I'm not going to win an argument against a vgc legend like you am I!?

To them it has more to do with a free product, rather than listing down the advantages. They use free and online browser, which still have nothing to do with the online community.

Well I'm sorry to tell you, it was you who included such stuff as Last.fm in this which has no relation to the actual gaming experience!

And what has Xgame chat got to do with helping while playing a game on the same team? Ohh yeah wait the PS3 won't accept any headsets at all now will it.. :O

Around the Network

Free service easily makes it up for me... PSN!

I need scissors! 61!

JaggedSac said:
ameratsu said:

I don't play a lot of xbox live so I can't really give it the edge without playing more games online. I will say this though:

The fact that there's no way to play online/local mixed with Worms 2 Armageddon or Castle Crashers (Castle Crashers lets you but you have to use a level 1 character!)  makes no sense whatsoever. I'd trade half the xbl bullet points that xbox fans have listed in this thread so I could do mixed local/online in those two games.

Though I only have experience with these two, I suspect there are others with rubbish local/online mixed compatibility. This is completely inexcusable for a premium online service and I hope it's some fault of the developers and not some forced restriction on online play without a gold account.

Nope, that is completely the developer's fault.  Halo 3 is a good example of someone without gold playing over Live and locally with someone with Gold.  You are just considered as a guest.  This is functionality that MS provides in their API.

So in Halo 3 can I load my silver profile I have if im playing with a gold user and save my stats? Or does everything I do reset when I stop playing?

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
JaggedSac said:
ameratsu said:

I don't play a lot of xbox live so I can't really give it the edge without playing more games online. I will say this though:

The fact that there's no way to play online/local mixed with Worms 2 Armageddon or Castle Crashers (Castle Crashers lets you but you have to use a level 1 character!)  makes no sense whatsoever. I'd trade half the xbl bullet points that xbox fans have listed in this thread so I could do mixed local/online in those two games.

Though I only have experience with these two, I suspect there are others with rubbish local/online mixed compatibility. This is completely inexcusable for a premium online service and I hope it's some fault of the developers and not some forced restriction on online play without a gold account.

Nope, that is completely the developer's fault.  Halo 3 is a good example of someone without gold playing over Live and locally with someone with Gold.  You are just considered as a guest.  This is functionality that MS provides in their API.

So in Halo 3 can I load my silver profile I have if im playing with a gold user and save my stats? Or does everything I do reset when I stop playing?

You cannot use a silver profile to play online.  You have to play on a "guest" profile of the gold player you are playing with.

JaggedSac said:
ameratsu said:
JaggedSac said:

You cannot use a silver profile to play online.  You have to play on a "guest" profile of the gold player you are playing with.

That's complete BS then. Do you know rediculous it is trying to play castle crashers with a level 1 character when everyone else is level 20? It's impossible. Premium service my foot if I can't use my own profile (and my own built up characters) when playing with a gold user online.  In this regard PSN sounds better, as some PS3 games actually allow "guests" to use their own profiles to save stats. But ofcourse PSN is free.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka