By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony has sold 23.8m PS3s to consumers

Yes, that's what makes sense NJ5. However, sales to consumers is of maximum interest to them as well, since without consumers buying, you wouldn't be selling to retailers.

But I get it, estimates of what they sold to consumers cannot be a part of financial reports, even if they're mostly accurates ones.

Around the Network
Spedfrom said:

Yes, that's what makes sense NJ5. However, sales to consumers is of maximum interest to them as well, since without consumers buying, you wouldn't be selling to retailers.

But I get it, estimates of what they sold to consumers cannot be a part of financial reports, even if they're mostly accurates ones.

Yeah sales to consumers is what ultimately matters.

Maybe they could put them in financial reports, but just as a secondary indicator. I'm sure they'd have to clearly mark them as uncertain figures though, so I guess they don't bother.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

*Sigh*

Here:http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/09q1_eleki.pdf

It's where he take the 23.8 million(add the 1.1 mil shipped this quarter) and where he misunderstood this line "From FY07 the method of reporting unit sale was changed from production shipments to recorded sales" (FY06 reclassified)"

Production shipments is shipment to warehouse and recorded sales is sold to retailer because that when Sony exchange the product for money, not when the retailer sell it.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

TheThunder said:
Munkeh111 said:
It is sold to consumers, just Sony's consumers, which are the retailers

And LTD WW SW sales 142,902,448 according to VGC. So there are 190m sold by Sony (which would include stock), but there must be many millions of PSN games sold, but of course there is probably some undertracking, like how Uncharted is at 2.5m, despite being announced as having sold over 2.6m at E3... but oh well

100K is totally reasonable amount to be on store shelves don't ya think ?

Not for a game selling 5k a week, and this was 2 months ago, so it was more like 150k, which would be enough to keep these stores supplied for 30 weeks

The only thing worse than the gaming press trying to interpret financial statements are people who actually consider those interpretations to be correct.
Next time you find an article about sales numbers on a games related website I would advise you to go to the actual source of the information and form your own opinion based on that.

Around the Network
koffieboon said:
The only thing worse than the gaming press trying to interpret financial statements are people who actually consider those interpretations to be correct.
Next time you find an article about sales numbers on a games related website I would advise you to go to the actual source of the information and form your own opinion based on that.

That should be the only way to go about readin any web-based information... get as close to the source as possible.

With Financial stuff though, if you don't know what you are looking for it is a bit of an effort reading through pages and pages of the stuff (I swear 50% of fiscal report content is just recycled junk from the previous year anyway)

TWRoO said:
koffieboon said:

That should be the only way to go about readin any web-based information... get as close to the source as possible.

With Financial stuff though, if you don't know what you are looking for it is a bit of an effort reading through pages and pages of the stuff (I swear 50% of fiscal report content is just recycled junk from the previous year anyway)

Of course it is a good thing to do in almost any situation, but in this case the mismatch of the type of information and the person writing an article about it is bigger than in most other cases.

kowenicki said:
@munkeh

regardless its an error margin of 3.8% not bad for software tracking...

Yeah, but it is just so obvious and it has been adjusted downwards before

Munkeh111 said:
TheThunder said:
Munkeh111 said:
It is sold to consumers, just Sony's consumers, which are the retailers

And LTD WW SW sales 142,902,448 according to VGC. So there are 190m sold by Sony (which would include stock), but there must be many millions of PSN games sold, but of course there is probably some undertracking, like how Uncharted is at 2.5m, despite being announced as having sold over 2.6m at E3... but oh well

100K is totally reasonable amount to be on store shelves don't ya think ?

Not for a game selling 5k a week, and this was 2 months ago, so it was more like 150k, which would be enough to keep these stores supplied for 30 weeks

but the game is still being bundled in NA and EU so really 100K deference is pretty much right on the money tbh.

I've had enough of this SDF type stuff. If you think Kotaku is right and VGChartz is wrong, wth are you still here? Please leave, troll.

Mods, please lock this thread.