By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who thinks the wii only costs a 100$ to make?

When the wii launched Almost 3 years ago every news station was saying that unlike the competition,The wii profits 50$on each console sold.

and now 3years later the cost of making a wii should be a hell of alot cheaper consider this,

The PS3 used to cost sony 840$when it first launched and now it costs them 410$, thats 430$ cheaper then it was 3 years ago.

So if the ps3 can be reduced that much with its very expensive parts, why cant the wii be a 100$ cheaper to make than it was 3 years ago?

It costed nintendo 200$ to make 3years ago and now it costs them 100$ or less this is common sense.

Nintendo doesnt want the consumers to know that they are profiting 150$ each time they buy their console.

They even have the guts to raise the price in eroupe for 20euros extra unbelievable.

And yes this was posted earlier but it got locked because i made a mistake and put it under a sony forum.

Around the Network

Already posted http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=81517

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

The Wii was not made from expensive chips in the first place, the cost reduction on them is minimal.

In fact, due to the bad exchange rate, American and European Wiis are probably making Nintendo LESS profit now than they did at launch.

In fact, if you look at the fiscal reports... you can see they don't make anywhere near that, and in fact the most optimistic estimate would be that they made $50 per console, but it more likely averages out to $30-40.

IF the exchange rate had remained similar to what it was at launch, then the Wii could probably be making $80-90 average per console.... but it certainly would't make over $100

Don't really know the answer. However, they would won't lower the price until wii sales fall off. As of right now it is still sales at the rate as the ps360.

You can't compare it to the PlayStation 3 in this regard because the launch PlayStation 3 was built with very expensive components that were only necessary to rush the product to launch, like the fact that it basically had a working PS2 inside. It was easy for Sony to crush through that first $400 or so in costs because a lot of it was unecessary

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

The controllers are probably what costs the most.

Plus, did the cost calculation include 50 bucks for Wii Sports?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

like I said last time. No. Twroo says it better

I don't think so.

If you removed Wii Sports, I'd be surprised to find that the hardware (Wii,Wiimote,Nunchuk) cost more than $150, but in reality it probably costs less than that.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

TWRoO said:

The Wii was not made from expensive chips in the first place, the cost reduction on them is minimal.

In fact, due to the bad exchange rate, American and European Wiis are probably making Nintendo LESS profit now than they did at launch.

In fact, if you look at the fiscal reports... you can see they don't make anywhere near that, and in fact the most optimistic estimate would be that they made $50 per console, but it more likely averages out to $30-40.

IF the exchange rate had remained similar to what it was at launch, then the Wii could probably be making $80-90 average per console.... but it certainly would't make over $100

You seriously think that the processor, RAM, 512 mb of flash memory, old ATI graphic card don't cost next to nothing now?

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...