By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Brawl V.S Mario (Who will be the bigger title)

Tuff one.

I have been surprised by the interest and excitement of Brawl, but its range of characters, control methods, online battles and appeal to casual gamers seem likely to make this game a huge seller.

Super Mario Galaxy is the hardcore favourite, innovation in controls, gameplay and beautiful graphics. He is the worlds most famous character with a long history and pedigree across all of Nintendo's platforms, but is that enough?? DS versions of Mario are big sellers currently with 4.9 million in Japan, 3.1 million in USA.

I want SMG to win but I think Brawl will be bigger in the long run.

Around the Network

loadedstatement said:
thanny said:
loadedstatement said:
Brawl is being made this time around to be very casual friendly. So I honestly think Brawl will win lifetime by 1.5 mil.

what gives you that impression?

There are a couple reasons why Brawl will be more casual friendly this time around. Some points are not strong ones and frankly not worth mentioning (ie. You can use any type of controller depending on what kind of player you are). The reason I see Brawl as being very casual friendly is because of the 5 modes of difficulty on Adventure Mode. And speaking of adventure mode, there has been a lot more time and effort put into it. It will be longer and I personally think casuals would enjoy Adventure Mode more than hardcore gamers. There have also been rumors that the physics engine is less responsive to sudden/slight movements, thus allowing exploits such as Wave Dashing and L/R cancelling impossible. It is only a rumor Ive heard and this is not to say the game won't appeal to hardcore gamers too. In fact, I think it will to a great degree.

You do realize there were 5 difficulty settings for Adventure Mode in Melee too, right?

Anyways, my money's on Mario - I mean this is Mario we're talking about! Mario games tend to reach astronomical figures when given the chance. Brawl will very much smash (no pun) sales expectations but Mario is still more established and probably most importantly - more accessible, and as such will gather tons of casuals wedidn't even know were there vs. the few that'll come to Brawl.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

To be honest, i think Brawl will just outsell Mario, not by much but i believe that when looking at the front cover, as routsounmanman said, people will opt for that. (Badly phrased but im tired and at work)

Games i'm currently playing:

Wrong credit but Oh-well^

lol  Nairu get some sleep ^_^

Around the Network

SMG.

mM

Mario Galaxy...

ioi said:
Smart money has to be on Brawl really, although not by much.

I don't think so. Smart money has to go on the series that has consistently sold 10M copies of games for 20 years. Sure, Melee outsold Sunshine, but that's the only main series Mario game which ever sold less than 10M... In fact, its the only one under 11M. I don't see Brawl selling 11M copies.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

This is what I think:

In terms of sales: Super Mario Galaxy

In terms of hype: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

Well times have changed and as of right now, Brawl is definitely getting more hype.

I know that a bunch of friends and I are getting Brawl on launch day, yet I'm the only one getting Galaxy on launch.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii