By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Interesting PS3 cost-of-goods news...

Carl2291 said:
tedsteriscool said:
Necromunda said:
tedsteriscool said:

Report: Sony losing about $40 on each PS3

Sony CFO Nobuyuki Oneda noted recently that the PS3's cost is still 10 percent higher than the system's price, reports Andriasang.com. With the console's price differences in each region, if Oneda is talking about Japan, that would be approximately ¥4,000 ($42). In North America the same $40 loss would also hold true.

As bad as losing money on each console manufactured sounds, it used to be worse. Just a year ago the estimate was that Sony was losing over $100 per system. Losing a couple Jacksons (four Hideyo's in Japan) per console isn't great, but it appears that Sony's costs and sales on the console are slowly finding equilibrium. Unless, of course, there's another $100 price drop in the PS3's near future.

Same CFO, just 3 months ago...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/15/report-sony-losing-about-40-on-each-ps3/

3 Months is allot of time when it comes to electronics...

Yeah but nearly HALF the manufacturing cost in 3 months? Color me skeptical.

When did the first leaks of a Slim PS3 appear?

well, if the slim actually costs that much... I would probably guess they gutted it to the point of being garbage.  They would of had to take out some major components in the slim model to reduce the price by that much.  I'm think something just isn't being recieved correctly.  If the article actually listed the conversation instead of just talking about it, this could make a lot more sense.

Around the Network

The Cells time of domination is coming. Seriously if it is that cheap to make and they are going to release the PS3 Slim this holiday season, they are going to be racking in some serious profits.

Carl2291 said:
I think the 70% off will be a slimline version.

It has to be.

The $299 PS3 slim is looking more believable each day.  But I guess we'll have to wait for it to come out, or wait for another leak.  Whichever comes first. 

this is great news for ppl who want a price cut for the ps3

i applaud you for finding this

the article point out that the PS3 cost $400 to make in January 2008, it's likely not even that low NOW.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
Yeah and by the way anyone interested in some swamp land in Florida. It is obvious that something isnt correct here. If that was the case Sony gaming division (and new Network group) would be showing a profit. Maybe we have been wrong all along and it is the PS2 and the PSP that sell for a loss.

You're kidding right? Have you put a moment's thought into those Q1 financials? If in May it was estimated they are losing $40 per console this means only $44 million out of a total $389 million loss. That means the PS3 is only just over 10% of the network division's problems. And the rest of gaming probably cancelled out PS3's 44 million losses, which possibly means none of the $389 million loss comes from the overall sale of gaming products.

I concur that 70% is for the slimline. It's good to know that slimline can come out at $299 and make money for Sony. It might just help to dig them out of a hole.

Then again they could be lying.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

johnsobas said:
the article point out that the PS3 cost $400 to make in January 2008, it's likely not even that low NOW.

You're right... it's probablly about 380 to make now.

OT - LOL and people were calling me crazy when I said slim would probablly shave 150 dollars off. When are people gonna learn to listen to me?

binary solo said:
thx1139 said:
Yeah and by the way anyone interested in some swamp land in Florida. It is obvious that something isnt correct here. If that was the case Sony gaming division (and new Network group) would be showing a profit. Maybe we have been wrong all along and it is the PS2 and the PSP that sell for a loss.

You're kidding right? Have you put a moment's thought into those Q1 financials? If in May it was estimated they are losing $40 per console this means only $44 million out of a total $389 million loss. That means the PS3 is only just over 10% of the network division's problems. And the rest of gaming probably cancelled out PS3's 44 million losses, which possibly means none of the $389 million loss comes from the overall sale of gaming products.

I concur that 70% is for the slimline. It's good to know that slimline can come out at $299 and make money for Sony. It might just help to dig them out of a hole.

Then again they could be lying.

Considering it specifically said that profits in gaming are down from last year and cited that gaming and vaio as the reason for the losses I don't believe you.  They said walkman was profitable in that division as well.  I'm sure part of it is Vaio but unless it was a reason for the losses they would not have listed it on their financial statement as a reason.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Binary solo... you are completely missing so many things... A. R&D on the Ps3 slim would be one.

70% lower? Just a few months ago they were losing 40 dollars a console with the cheap version. i wonder which report is true