By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Interesting PS3 cost-of-goods news...

Now, with isupply being so close this time... why would they be so far off from the beginning. 850. Also Sony PR said mulitple times they are selling at big losses and probablly should be selling it at above 900 dollars... seems to fit in line

Around the Network
axumblade said:
gergroy said:
Carl2291 said:
tedsteriscool said:
Necromunda said:
tedsteriscool said:

Report: Sony losing about $40 on each PS3

Sony CFO Nobuyuki Oneda noted recently that the PS3's cost is still 10 percent higher than the system's price, reports Andriasang.com. With the console's price differences in each region, if Oneda is talking about Japan, that would be approximately ¥4,000 ($42). In North America the same $40 loss would also hold true.

As bad as losing money on each console manufactured sounds, it used to be worse. Just a year ago the estimate was that Sony was losing over $100 per system. Losing a couple Jacksons (four Hideyo's in Japan) per console isn't great, but it appears that Sony's costs and sales on the console are slowly finding equilibrium. Unless, of course, there's another $100 price drop in the PS3's near future.

Same CFO, just 3 months ago...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/15/report-sony-losing-about-40-on-each-ps3/

3 Months is allot of time when it comes to electronics...

Yeah but nearly HALF the manufacturing cost in 3 months? Color me skeptical.

When did the first leaks of a Slim PS3 appear?

well, if the slim actually costs that much... I would probably guess they gutted it to the point of being garbage.  They would of had to take out some major components in the slim model to reduce the price by that much.  I'm think something just isn't being recieved correctly.  If the article actually listed the conversation instead of just talking about it, this could make a lot more sense.

If you want to get technical, they could save a decent amount of money even just for the stripped down appearance of the slim. That could save them a few bucks on just that alone. Not sure about any technical changes but I'd imagine that there were more cost effective ways to do some things for the PS3.

Actually, greg, you are completely wrong. Sony cost cuts probablly were effect by the 45nm chips the most.

If slim is already being produced but not sold yet to get rid of old supplies it sounds probable.

It also makes sense from Moores law point of view

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

If true then it's good Sony is able to profit from the PS3 now. And if a Slim is coming then it would also explain why its gaming division took such a hit. Hopefully Sony will be able to turn things around this time next year and be able to make some more moola. Young Money ENT!.....Sorry back on point.

So $240 for a PS3 and if retailers only receive 10% the total cost for a PS3 on shelves would be $226? if my math is right that would mean Sony is making about 174 bucks a console? if this report is correct. Good for them

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

If this is true, why does their financial report indicates that almost the opposite is happening?

Around the Network

Good new for Sony. Who knows, maybe in 5 yrs they can make back a huge majority of their losses.

I understand they achieved roughly 70% cost reduction in 2 years ?
Seems a lot...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Sardauk said:
I understand they achieved roughly 70% cost reduction in 2 years ?
Seems a lot...

I guess it's possible, since Blu-ray and cell were in their infancy around launch.

Possible, but not probable.

everdom said:
If this is true, why does their financial report indicates that almost the opposite is happening?

Game development, Marketing and probably R&D costs for a Slimline PS3,PSPGo and probably next gen systems IE PS4 and PSP Go

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

If that's true then the console war is far from over. But I thought about 2 months ago some other sony guy said they're losing $40 per console. So who knows really