By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros is Nintendo's best advertising campaign

That's what I think. Does anyone else agree?

Let me share my story. The N64 was my first Nintendo console and I basically bought it for Goldeneye. I bought the first Smash because it looked interesting, what with Mario and Link and Starfox all in the same game, but then I saw characters like that guy in the suit with the big shoulder pads and thought, who the heck is he?

Fast forward to the Gamecube era, I've done a little research and can't wait for Metroid Prime to arrive. I buy it the week it comes out and I now own every single Metroid game (MP3 pending).

I buy Melee and notice those weird characters with the swords. I'm curious to discover more so I buy Path of Radiance for a friend. He tells me it's really good so I get it myself. I agree and can't wait for Radiant Dawn to come out on the Wii. When it comes out I buy it and it's one of my favourite sequels ever and I want to play all the other fire emblem games now!

I've also grown rather atttached to that cocky guy who keeps saying "show me your moves" so I buy F-zero GX, love it and now I really want Nintendo to make more.

Then there's that little guy called Olimar. Pikmin kind of passed me by in the Gamecube era, but I hear it's a good game and I see that NPC Pikmin 2 is coming out. I buy it the day of release and like it so much that I join the VG Chartz Pikmin fanclub - bring on Pikmin 3!

You get the gist. I doubt I'm the only person this has happened to. Do you think Nintendo may have come up with the greatest kind of advertising a company could possibly create? I think so! If a similar thing has happened to any of you then please share your stories too.

Wii code: 1534 8127 5081 0969

Brawl code: 1762-4131-9390

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network

Off topic - I seem to be on a new-thread assault the last couple of days, don't I? It's because I'm sitting at my laptop learning to touch-type!

I first became interested in Fire Emblem because of Super Smash Bros. Melee. Now I'm a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series so I think you're absolutely right.

Yes, I agree. I was into a lot of Nintendo franchises before Super Smash Bros., but it did turn me on to Fire Emblem, Kirby and F-Zero.

That is pretty much how fire emblem made its way to the US. Good old Smash brothers. It does raise gamer awareness of the many amazing IPs that Nintendo has.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
I first became interested in Fire Emblem because of Super Smash Bros. Melee. Now I'm a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series so I think you're absolutely right.

I got into Fire Emblem because of you (at least partially, BengaBenga deserves some credit too) and now I'm a huge fan of the series.

OT: I completely agree with what you said, really.  I thought this was going to be about the advertisments for the series, not the advertisement in the series, so that was a pleasant surprise.

lol did everyone get into fire emblem via super smash?

well i reckon i need to join the club. ike and roy were my mercy players during smash brothers melee, if i wanted to give other players a chance to win a match. but back to the point, melee made me curious about the fire emblem characters. i did some research and found out that path of radiance was to be released a year later. needless to say that i bought it the first week it went on sale and i have bought radiant dawn and shadow dragon and play them religiously until i complete them on all difficulties!

i reckon the same can be said about brawl. since brawl came out more and more people have been asking for a kid icarus game since pitt appeares in it

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

youjiro said:

i reckon the same can be said about brawl. since brawl came out more and more people have been asking for a kid icarus game since pitt appeares in it

Absolutely. I remember in a recent interview Miyamoto said he found it strange that so many people were demanding a Kid Icarus title. The reason is obvious! Even people who had never even heard of Kid Icarus are acting as though they are long-time KI fans because they feel acquainted with the character after playing Brawl.

i'll join the club. i was more interested in zelda, kirby, pokemon, f-zero, and earthbound thanks to it (yes, it's sad. i never really played a zelda before playing the original smash bros.)

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Words Of Wisdom said:

same. I started playing most of the games that appeared in ssbm