By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bungie: HALO 3 ODST won't run at 720p

MGS4 graphics are nothing special. The game has no draw distance what so ever and frame rate stutters like its drunk. Now Squil reveled it runs on a low res too...

If you are talking about movies...then yeah...MGS4 looks nice when playing the 12 hours of cinematics.

Maybe you don't like Halo's 3 art style and that is perfectly fine. But as a technical achievement...Halo 3 > MGS4 when it comes to visuals.
(Draw distance, lighting, frame rate are all superior...and even supports split screen)

Around the Network
C_Hollomon said:
Squilliam said:
^ Yup. The point is that anyone who is foolish enough to mention MGS4 in a post lambasting Halo 3 ought to get called out for their ignorance. The framerate also dips into the early 20s and averages about 25fps IIRC, I think I got a lot of people angry about that when I posted it.

Well this is how I see it.  I want a game with great gameplay and awesome breath taking graphics like MGS4.  Halo 3 never done that for me.  I'm not saying Halo gameplay sucks and it have good graphics but the graphics should be better than what it is to me.   

Then perhaps you should engage your senses in a different way. Perhaps you should listen harder to how the game sounds for one as Halo games have always been known for their excellent sound effects and Halo 3 is no exception as they devote one core fully to sound reproduction. Also they spent a lot of their effort on lighting, shadows etc. The biggest complaints stem from the graphical inconsistancies, because it reality Halo 3 started as an Xbox 1 game and was ported to the Xbox 360 sometime during development.

Tease.

disolitude said:
MGS4 graphics are nothing special. The game has no draw distance what so ever and frame rate stutters like its drunk. Now Squil reveled it runs on a low res too...

If you are talking about movies...then yeah...MGS4 looks nice when playing the 12 hours of cinematics.

Maybe you don't like Halo's 3 art style and that is perfectly fine. But as a technical achievement...Halo 3 > MGS4 when it comes to visuals.
(Draw distance, lighting, frame rate are all superior...and even supports split screen)
Well when I 1st seen the MGS4 graphics I was like WOW and that made me wanted to buy the game even more.  I played Halo 3 plenty of times and MGS4.  I had more fun with MGS4 and its online more than Halo 3.  Plus I haven't seen any frame rate drop in it yet. 

Squilliam said:
C_Hollomon said:
Squilliam said:
^ Yup. The point is that anyone who is foolish enough to mention MGS4 in a post lambasting Halo 3 ought to get called out for their ignorance. The framerate also dips into the early 20s and averages about 25fps IIRC, I think I got a lot of people angry about that when I posted it.

Well this is how I see it.  I want a game with great gameplay and awesome breath taking graphics like MGS4.  Halo 3 never done that for me.  I'm not saying Halo gameplay sucks and it have good graphics but the graphics should be better than what it is to me.   

Then perhaps you should engage your senses in a different way. Perhaps you should listen harder to how the game sounds for one as Halo games have always been known for their excellent sound effects and Halo 3 is no exception as they devote one core fully to sound reproduction. Also they spent a lot of their effort on lighting, shadows etc. The biggest complaints stem from the graphical inconsistancies, because it reality Halo 3 started as an Xbox 1 game and was ported to the Xbox 360 sometime during development.

Yes Halo 3 have great sounds. 

i take splitscreen over graphics everytime - i love playing coop games on 360 with my father or my friends. i'm looking forward to every game that have splitscreen coop on 360. hope Lost Planet 2 will have one.

Around the Network

Well I'm sure the game will be great. From what I've seen it looks very nice.

disolitude said:
@XOJ

Well Haze is not a good game. we are tlaking about good games with coop split screen vs good games with nice graphics.

Also, did you even play Killzone 2? More bearable story, environments and bots? What does that even mean?

Killzone 2 has some fun battles but its liner, story is standard macho stuff and AI is not nearly as good as Halo's.

Did you even play KZ2 your self?

C_Hollomon said:
disolitude said:
@C_Hollomon

You are either lying or don't know how to set xbox to run at 1080p.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1014949/halo-quite-hd

Points of interest -

"The 360 will then either output that or upscale it to 1920x1080 for output on larger displays."

"If you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it’s practically impossible to discern the difference"

Just admit you were wrong and maybe you can save some face...

What was I wrong about?

I knew how to set the settings for 1080p on the 360.  Halo 3 didn't show it but some of the other games I had did.

I'm confused by that. Do you mean Halo 3 didn't show the setting to be 1080p or it didn't look like it was 1080p to you? or did you mean something completely different and my hangover is affect my ability to reason?

haxxiy said:
Tsk tsk. One could expect they had overcome the buffer issues as of now.

Its not issue. Bungie chose to have two frame buffers instead of the usual one and its not like this is the only sub 720p game out. I could name around 7 of them on the Playstation 3.

Anyway ODST started out as a DLC project for Halo 3 using the Halo 3 engine and Microsoft then told them later, no this is a full game!

Since it started out as a DLC project for Halo 3 and was away under development for awhile they never really had to think about updating the engine or had the time to update it like most companies would for their next big game.

Personally I don't care about the few less pixels. The 14 mile draw distances, lighting, 4 player splitscreen capabilities and lots of shit going on on the screen at once while always running at 30fps more than make up for it.

On the upgrades from Halo 3 from what I can tell ODST has higher resolution textures and the characters are much more detailed.

The difference between 1152x640 and 1280x720 is 128x80.  See the two rabbits? That pic is 128x80.

If that measly amount of pixel loss is necessary for halo to run smoothly then so be it. I seriously doubt the scaler in the 360 is going to be stressed.