By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Will Microsoft release a new console for Next Gen? Interesting Read,,,

http://www.gamesonsmash.com/?p=8164

The question posed, “will Microsoft introduce a new console next generation” stems from many devastating articles I’ve read concerning the Xbox division.  Most recently a brief article by Ricardo Barrier indicating the loss of $130 million in Q4 with the recent posts of their numbers, and an article  that was brought to my attention by blade206 that was posted two months ago by  Roy Schestowitz stating how Microsoft is still operating at a loss.

The articles were a fascinating read and I found many of the comments to be intelligent. This one in particular was written by Miguel Zorro. I found this question and comment rather interesting.

” Even though the XBox360 is selling well, it’s difficult to see WHY Microsoft is in the console business. It doesn’t appear to tie into a larger strategy. If they’re taking a loss on it every generation, what’s the point? Even if it’s not selling as well, Sony used the PS3 to drive Blu-Ray adoption – that, to me, is a reason to continue. Nintendo is making money, so that one’s easy. What is Microsoft in it for? Does the XBox360 integrate with and drive sales of other Microsoft products in any way?”

Many have heard, read, and experienced the devastating reports and effects of the RROD, which are still taking place with the Microsoft Xbox 360 console. Let me be clear, the Red Ring Of Death is not occurring at the alarming rate as it was at launch, but as stated in Roy’s article “It’s not a resolved issue; it’s a design flaw.” Tom Bramwell wrote in his article that the failure rate was as high as 68 Percent not the 33% people were talking about and Microsoft new of the defect before the units were shipped. Once again the RROD is nowhere near those numbers now, but those numbers are unacceptable period!

In fairness to Microsoft, Sony is not doing to well at the moment either. They will be reporting a massive loss of 2.9 billion the first operating loss Sony has had in 14 years, but it does not state in this article how the games division account for this shortfall. (What is nice to read throughout the article is that with their restructuring and layoffs they won’t be cutting or making any layoffs in the games division. We will see how things look for Sony when they post their numbers the 30th of July.

The difference I see in the two consoles is not the games, because that is a personal preference to each individual game.  No one can be better than the other in that category, so I tend to look at what either system is selling me as a consumer. On one end you have Kaz Hirai of Sony. I personally find him very cocky, but some of his statements can be defend able.

“The next generation doesn’t start until we say it does” -Kaz Hirai, Sony

Then you have the competition

“If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good.” -Bill Gates, Microsoft.

I do not find this statement defend able at all.

As far as the original question goes, “Will Microsoft introduce a new console next generation?” My personal opinion is, “I don’t think so.”  With their games division continually to report a loss, I don’t think Microsoft will and can afford to continue to operate at a loss next cycle. Microsoft has done a fantastic job of marketing this cycle, but I feel that their not doing enough with and expanding on their first party games in order to survive.  I believe they haven’t done enough with their first party that will lead them into the future and I don’t believe one can survive off of third party alone. I don’t see Microsoft having a “True” exclusive line-up because of “Games for Windows” or “multiplats” and neither Microsoft nor Sony has stated that they will be introducing another system.

I think after this life cycle is over Microsoft will focus solely on their software and operating system. They have only commented on their longevity in out lasting the Playstation 3, but nothing in regards about making another console.

Around the Network

Wow, so if MS is not making a profit, then is Sony making a profit?

Sony just can't accept they finally are in last place.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Trash...

Tease.

130,000,000 operating loss in Q4 and MS should stop making consoles..

Where was this guy when the original Xbox lost billions?

Pixel Art can be fun.

This is a bit trickier than you make it out to be though as Microsoft no longer have an XBOX division but an entertainment division. So even though the entertainment division made a loss it doesn't neccesarily mean that the XBOX 360 isn't profitable at this time. With things like Zune lumped in with the 360 it's easy to see why there was a loss for the division.

RROD was the biggest problem and without it I think Microsoft would be doing far better off and they know that so I'm sure that's one reason to continue. Which means they know themselves that have done most things right this generation.

They also had an original plan of basically:

Gain a foothold -> build a userbase -> take over the market

So if they pull out now they are not following through with their plans and moving back to the whole RROD issue: If Microsoft believe in themselves that they have done things right this generation and I think many can argue that they have, then why waste all the money they've layed down to get a foothold and gain a large userbase, both of which they have succeeded in when they could actually have done even better this generation?

Imagine if Wii hadn't taken off like a rocket, it fizzled away, imagine the 360 having normal hardware mulfunction statistics within say 5%.. XBOX 360 would be market leader, I'm sure many would agree..

Microsoft will come back next generation with a new console to try and snatch the goal of market leader away from Nintendo. You can count on it. It'll also make sure developers stay on the DirectX platform continue Windows gaming.

Around the Network

MS has entered the console market and is here to stay. The only thing left is (when) they are going to release there hand-held. (IMO) I think next generation they will have both.

Tripe.

"I don’t think Microsoft will and can afford" = epic fail.

badgenome said:
Tripe.

My one word reply was highly successful. How dare you come in here and copy me!?

Tease.

Sorry, Squill. I felt bad about doing that and added some more to my post. My apologies, and I promise it won't happen again. At least not until next time.

badgenome said:

Sorry, Squill. I felt bad about doing that and added some more to my post. My apologies, and I promise it won't happen again. At least not until next time.

At least if you're going to copy me you ought to have added a few more periods... to leave the epic weight... of your statement... hanging in the air... like this... for a few more seconds... do you see what... I... mean...

Tease.