By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Entertainment Posts $130 million Loss in Q4 2009 : is the 360 in trouble ?

waron said:
*facepalm.
MS Entertainment is making:
Natal,
Zune HD,
additional xbox live stuff(zune conectivity etc.),
10-15 xbox 360 retail games,
zune hd games,
probably very early stages of xbox portable project,
and they only released Ninja Blade in Q4,

it's obvious they didn't make profit.

Actually Microsoft did make a profit for the year.

Unless you were being sarcastic? If so, it was very very very subtle.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
dbot said:
ImJustBayuum said:
Squilliam said:
thx1139 said:

Loss was $130M

100K less 360 consoles shipped compared to last year in same qtr.

Thats pretty much what I would have said, had you not said it first.

+1

The EDD lost 68 million last quarter, so it is down 198 million so far this year.  I am sure the amateur financial analysts on this site will find the silver lining somewhere in that number.  I am not necessarily interested in reading that spin.  EDD has no impact on MS stock price, in fact analysts rarely mention it.  Microsoft is about the Server and Client divisions, everything else is a distraction.

I do find it interesting that Microsoft shipped 100k fewer consoles this quarter compared to the same quarter in 2008.  The reporting quarter in 2008 was pre-pricecut.  Does this suggest that the effects of Microsoft's pricecut are waning, or did they just stuff the channels in 2008?

First off MS Fiscal Year ended with this report.   EDD division was profitable for the year.

As for the amateur financial analysts.  There are two groups. The ones that actually think about the numbers and realize EDD is not just the 360.  Then there are the others that simply see a loss in the EDD division and claim it must be because of the 360 and when the EDD division is profitable in a qtr it must be everything but the 360.

Thank you for correcting that original "analysis". Where do these posters come from who spew nothing but utter ignorance. It's so frustrating to read some of these posts.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

jcp234 said:
thx1139 said:
dbot said:

The EDD lost 68 million last quarter, so it is down 198 million so far this year.  I am sure the amateur financial analysts on this site will find the silver lining somewhere in that number.  I am not necessarily interested in reading that spin.  EDD has no impact on MS stock price, in fact analysts rarely mention it.  Microsoft is about the Server and Client divisions, everything else is a distraction.

I do find it interesting that Microsoft shipped 100k fewer consoles this quarter compared to the same quarter in 2008.  The reporting quarter in 2008 was pre-pricecut.  Does this suggest that the effects of Microsoft's pricecut are waning, or did they just stuff the channels in 2008?

First off MS Fiscal Year ended with this report.   EDD division was profitable for the year.

As for the amateur financial analysts.  There are two groups. The ones that actually think about the numbers and realize EDD is not just the 360.  Then there are the others that simply see a loss in the EDD division and claim it must be because of the 360 and when the EDD division is profitable in a qtr it must be everything but the 360.

Thank you for correcting that original "analysis". Where do these posters come from who spew nothing but utter ignorance. It's so frustrating to read some of these posts.

I am not sure I offered any analysis, or perhaps I am not aware of the definition that you are using for the word.  I stated a fact that the EDD has lost 198 million this year.  I should have included the word calendar before year, but I thought that was obvious in context of my overall post.  I agree with thx1139 that EDD is more than the xbox and that's why it is all but impossible to determine how this product is really performing.  Also, included in the division are the Zune, Surface, Microsoft Office retail (Windows and Mac), Microsoft Operating Systems (retail) , etc.  I will leave it to the amateur financial analysts to argue whether the profit from Office/XP/Vista and Zune sales outweigh any costs associated with R&D for Windows Mobile.  (You should be aware that MS doesn't book all R&D expenses in its segments.  Employee expenses and R&D overhead are booked at the corporate level.  But you probably already knew that. )

I think my original question is interesting, and I would appreciate any thoughts on it.  How can MS ship 100k more consoles in the pre-pricecut quarter?  

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

jcp234 said:
waron said:
*facepalm.
MS Entertainment is making:
Natal,
Zune HD,
additional live stuff(zune conectivity etc.),
10-15 xbox 360 retail games,
zune hd games,
probably very early stages of xbox portable project,
and they only released Ninja Blade in Q4,

it's obvious they didn't make profit.

Actually Microsoft did make a profit for the year.

Unless you were being sarcastic? If so, it was very very very subtle.

actually i was talking about Q4 earnings of Microsoft Game Division or whatever it can be called.

dbot said:
jcp234 said:
thx1139 said:
dbot said:

I am not sure I offered any analysis, or perhaps I am not aware of the definition that you are using for the word.  I stated a fact that the EDD has lost 198 million this year.  I should have included the word calendar before year, but I thought that was obvious in context of my overall post.  I agree with thx1139 that EDD is more than the xbox and that's why it is all but impossible to determine how this product is really performing.  Also, included in the division are the Zune, Surface, Microsoft Office retail (Windows and Mac), Microsoft Operating Systems (retail) , etc.  I will leave it to the amateur financial analysts to argue whether the profit from Office/XP/Vista and Zune sales outweigh any costs associated with R&D for Windows Mobile.  (You should be aware that MS doesn't book all R&D expenses in its segments.  Employee expenses and R&D overhead are booked at the corporate level.  But you probably already knew that. )

I think my original question is interesting, and I would appreciate any thoughts on it.  How can MS ship 100k more consoles in the pre-pricecut quarter?  

Where are u getting ur facts from. Last time I checked their OS sales are not in EDD.

Around the Network
Dark Chaos said:
dbot said:
jcp234 said:
thx1139 said:
dbot said:

Where are u getting ur facts from. Last time I checked their OS sales are not in EDD.

Exactly. Most of the things posted are miss-informed. Office for Windows platforms is not in the group either, but the Mac version of Office is.

And as mentioned, I am pretty sure Operating systems are not in that group.

Office and OS has been discussed before from the way MS describes in thier official reports it has appeared that Office and OS sales and marketing expenses are dumped in EDD. Not the revenue.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
Office and OS has been discussed before from the way MS describes in thier official reports it has appeared that Office and OS sales and marketing expenses are dumped in EDD. Not the revenue.

So they throw a bunch of costs in there but leave out the income? I hate it when things are made needlessly complicated like that.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
thx1139 said:

So they throw a bunch of costs in there but leave out the income? I hate it when things are made needlessly complicated like that.

Think of it like the Zack and Wiki level on the flying pirate plane!

Tease.

Squilliam said:
famousringo said:
thx1139 said:

Think of it like the Zack and Wiki level on the flying pirate plane!

A puzzle to solve? Cooooooool.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.