By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - And Then Sony Says That They Follow A Proper Marketing Strategy

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.

"Phil Harrison has criticised Microsoft for planning to put two versions of the new Xbox 360 console on the market, claiming the decision will merely "create confusion" for consumers."This is my personal view, not my corporate view, but when I look at those formats, I think it just confuses the audience. They don't know which one to buy, developers don't know which one to create for, and retailers don't know which one to stock.So I think we wouldn't take that strategy. We wouldn't create confusion," he concluded.

2 Years Later...........

"As we approach our very first PlayStation Christmas, it is satisfying to be able to offer UK consumers the choice of two PlayStation 3 packages both now representing remarkable value," commented Ray Maguire, managing director of SCEUK, "We have a brand new 40GB machine that represents an excellent entry point into the world of high definition games and movies, and we have the fully featured 60GB machine being offered with two next generation gaming experiences at a highly competitive price."

Around the Network

PHIL HARRISON IS

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA.

He does nothing with the other people.

He is SCEA. He is staying with his word. SCEE are idiots.

mM

Yeah because in America there's only been one SKU right leo-j?

He is in charge of software on the ps3 SCEA. He has nothing to do with the idiots at SCEE.

mM

Sony should coordinate their PR stuff before letting it out. Something like this:

Jack: "Hey Kaz, I'm gonna say that 80GB are more than enough for the PS3 and that we won't have more, ok?"

Kaz: "Wait wait wait Tretton, didn't you read the memo about the 160GB PS3? Jesus..."

Around the Network

ohh a big company contradicted themselves within a 2 years span - now tell me something new *yawn*

@Soriku

5 ps3's. There are only 3 out now.

mM

leo there have already been 3 SKUs for PS3 in the US, possibly a 4th might be coming (although there have only been 2 at any one time... unless the 40G comes to USA before 60G have run out)

Still, 5 PS3 versions in 11 months???

They are just adjusting their strategy, but at the current speed they sound desperate, so I really don't know if is a smart move or not.

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

that depends on what you describe as a failure, had the PS3 remained worldwide with the same two initial SKUs i don't think it would be tracking close to the 360, or above the GC (despite the best time of the GCs sales life coming from the first year)

To Sony, anything that stops them losing extra money is a good thing, so although the new SKUs (to me at least) are far from being good for the customer, they have certainly helped.