By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's the best way to build a good looking body?

Get a gym membership and use it.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
dtewi said:
You're asking a video game community.

A VIDEO GAME community.

if he don't ask you then everyting is fine.

a few very simple things (in words anyways )

1) Lift weights (either at gym, or home if you have a good setup) and make sure you are always pushing yourself. So increase the weight by the minimum amount whenever you are capable of doing 3 sets of 6-8 reps. Rest 1-3 min between each set. Also, you should probably do a Upper, Lower, off, Upper, Lower, off, off schedule. (or something very similar) You definitely don't want to skip your days off as it gives your body time to heal and grow. (you can throw abs in with lower body, or upper, take your pick)

2) Eat a high protein diet (2g of protein for every lb of body weight) and aim to gain 1lb/week. at least half will be fat, and the rest muscle. So you'll want to eat about 500 calories more in a day then your body actually needs. The only easy way to figure this out is to count your calories and then weigh yourself every week and adjust your food intake accordingly.

3) Once you've gained as much fat as you are willing, switch to 500 calories below your daily needs and continue working out at the gym. The idea is to get rid of the fat and maintain the muscle. Just try to maintain what you were last lifting. However, you may lose some muscle, but no big deal.

4) repeat as many times as you need for a ripped body.

I'll essentially be doing all this once I lose a lot of weight. I'm trying to get down to 175 before I start trying to build muscle again. There are some other things you can do, like protein shakes and creatine, but if you don't have the money, you really don't need them.

edit: oh, and if you need a list of exercises, http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html , has a complete list of exercises for every muscle group. I suggest always doing the compound exercises as you hit more muscles with a single lift, which will save you time. Yes you can do tricep extensions, but you could just do bench presses and you'll end up working your triceps too. You can poke around the web for various workout routines, but you can also make your own. Just make sure you hit every major muscle while doing each region of your body.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

If you need more structure then what nordlead suggest (good advice by the way), then you can try P90X.

It's not an easy program, but to do what you want is not easy :). If it was, everyone would do it.

I have done the program, and it works, but it's a real commitment.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/best_sellers/p90x.do?code=BBHOME_PARSEB_P90X

Two ways: One - steal someone's good body and attach your head OR option two - make everyone else ugly.

Around the Network

Do swimming. IMO best sport ever for just toning everything.

finalrpgfantasy said:
dtewi said:
You're asking a video game community.

A VIDEO GAME community.

if he don't ask you then everyting is fine.

Lol, just because I like my video games doesn't mean I don't socialize, work out or have an interest in other things. Don't stereotype everyone.

It all depends on your posture/physique. I was always big, both in the good and bad sense of the word. For me the best option for a good physical body would have been fitness or body building. I have/had enough fat and really, lifting weights does nothing else then turning that fat into muscle. Muscle which you will lose faster then you gained it if you ever lower your amount of training. I opted for the second best thing - survivalruns and boxing. It has enough fitness-elements and kept my body slender and muscular enough at the same time. Swimming would have been great aswell.

As for you, you do not seem to have the body type for fitness. Really, I see the skinny guys at fitness and in the end they just get stuck on the small weights. A fragile/slender physique like you have is hard to build up by just lifting weights.

My suggestion to you is: start eating red meat. Lot's of it. Proteïn is the number one muscle-builder. Proteïn, iron and carbons. Then start doing weights, though I advice against it. I've seen enough people over-do it who can't even stretch their arms out straight. Or even straighten their back. I almost exclusively train with my own body-weight. Pull-ups, push-ups, sit ups, lots of sparring and shadow-boxing. Sometimes enhanced by straping weights to my legs/arms. It gives you a more natural strong-body look rather then this overblown-body builder look which I doubt you would ever achieve no matter what you eat/train.

If the above doesn't sound like you at all, your best bet would be to pick sports where you frame can benefit you. Running benefits your whole body, as does swimming, rock/mountain climbing and cycling. These would be perfect for your current posture and can build you up rather nicely.

Edit 1: And they are a lot more fun then the gym. Honestly, is anyone even having fun at a gym? Give me a group of boxers or my friends in the woods any day.

Edit 2: Dtewi, I know you can't react but hopefully you read this - consider yourself stumped by my avatar and a lot of other people from the "Attractive user competition" ;)

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

It really depends on what keeps you motivated. The outline I provided above will turn a scrawny person into a decent build person with plenty of muscle definition, not a super ripped body builder (you have to train 4-6 hours a day and do steroids to achieve what most of them do). Also, the people who can't stretch their arms straight are doing a stupid workout. Most people like that probably exercise upper body only, and don't follow up with stretches. You really should stretch before and after you exercise.

Ultimately there are hundreds of ways to get in shape, it really just matters what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to build muscle all over, weight lifting is the fastest way. If you have enough muscle and are just trying to get toned, then any sport that works your whole body would be good. If you are way overweight, then you have lots of options including cardio exercising like running/biking. Obviously if you build muscle and then stop using it, you will lose it, but once you get to the level you want to be at, it isn't that hard to maintain. You can switch from weight lifting only, to a combination of sports and weightlifting.

Anyways, once you decide what you really want to do, you can probably post in here and get some more good guidelines.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Well, there is no one workout that will work exactly the same for everyone.

However, what worked for me... was a proper diet, high in protein.
Aerobic exercise every other day or 2nd day, weight lifting done everyday mixing and isolating muscle groups.

I was going for tone, so, high reps medium weight going 3 sets and a bitch set to top it all off. If your going for mass, reverse that order with low reps with heavy weight while doing 3 sets.

Worked pretty good for me when I went through my workout phase.

Also that P90X... I'm thinking of trying that too... want that Bruce Lee body. 

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.