By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Camarack on Rage/Doom 4 blu-ray

More and more games will be like this from now on.

But, if Doom 4 takes up 3 DVDs it must be huge. I wonder how many DVDs Final Fantasy 13 is going to take.

Around the Network

Nice to have the game into one disk, but lots of PC games have install disks along with the playable disk and this can help with that problem. I guess the problem is not a lot of 360 users have a big hard drive.

Anymway, looking forward to Doom 4 for PS3!

Play my LittleBigPlanet level: Mystic Runner. Thanks!

silicon said:
NJ5 said:
When did Carmack say he hated the PS3?

Back in 2007.

Do you have a link? I don't think Carmack ever said that.

Example:

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200701/N07.0109.1737.15034.htm?Page=3

I see nothing in this interview saying he hates the PS3.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

mai said:
With full respect to the most influential person in the industry back in the days. Does he (or id Software in general) still relevant to the industry as he (it) used to be?

yes, he is still the best game engine programmer in the world the stuff he builds alone outmatch products of teams. I'm sure when Rage is released it would put UE3 to shame and probably easily take both crytech 2&3 this is after all John FUCKING Carmack we are talking about here

Can't wait for Rage. PC or PS3 that's the question !!

Who the hell is Camarack? I thought his last name was Carmack...

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network

TheThunder said:

yes, he is still the best game engine programmer in the world the stuff he builds alone outmatch products of teams. I'm sure when Rage is released it would put UE3 to shame and probably easily take both crytech 2&3 this is after all John FUCKING Carmack we are talking here

Can't wait for Rage. PC or PS3 that's the question !!

Well, maybe... but I have a strange felling that some of those executive guys who came out from tech crowd are moving not really in the same direction as the whole industry. They may have some tremendous insights on what's going on in the industry at their ground (I still remember Sweeney interview, where he threw a light on why PC retail game market is diminishing... rahter than just blame piracy), but outside that field... that's shaky ground for them. Moreover I have yet another strange felling of smth terrible to happen... Carmack is like dinosaur before meteor struck (or for whatever reason they extinct). I'm not sure if id Software could pull out smth ground-breaking, smth influential, smth that could be enjoyed by millions and millions as it used to be.

Carl2291 said:
More and more games will be like this from now on.

But, if Doom 4 takes up 3 DVDs it must be huge. I wonder how many DVDs Final Fantasy 13 is going to take.

Probably the same and I'm willing to bet Final Fantasy XIII will have more content. It seems ID have no idea how to compress yet.

silicon said:

A few years ago Carmack said he hated the PS3.

He later commented on the fact that the PS3 has less available memory due to the amount required by the OS.

Later he commented that the PS3 had more power for simulation, while the XBOX had other distinct benefits. Since they were designing a multiplatform engine, they wanted the game to run the same on each console. Time and time again he mentioned that the PS3 was the limiting factor.

Another article mentioned that the engine would take advantage of the Cell due to it's ability to use multiple cores.

Now it seems he's impressed with the choice for Blu-Ray in terms of future proofing the PS3

Anyways... I can't wait for both games!!!

Do you have links for the 'hate' quote?  I've never heard of Carmack 'hating' on any of the consoles.  It's not his style.  He's technical and simply states his view technically in any interview I've ever read.

Checking myself I can't find anything like that.  All he does is discuss his view on various pros/cons on any platform he works on.

Are you confusing him with Gabe Newell from Valve?

OT it's a pity they cut the original design down due to DVD limitations, but I'm more concerned about how the game plays.  I still rate Carmack as perhaps the premier coder for tech for gaming, but while each engine he's produced is amazing technically the company has lost the strong lead it needs to deliver a great game built on that tech.  Hopefully they'll break this cycle with Rage.

I guess on 360 there is always the install option, but I suspose Arcade's make this hard to make mandatory.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I'll take Quake 5, John. Doom 3 was ok, but it was no Quake 4.

Reasonable said:
silicon said:

A few years ago Carmack said he hated the PS3.

He later commented on the fact that the PS3 has less available memory due to the amount required by the OS.

Later he commented that the PS3 had more power for simulation, while the XBOX had other distinct benefits. Since they were designing a multiplatform engine, they wanted the game to run the same on each console. Time and time again he mentioned that the PS3 was the limiting factor.

Another article mentioned that the engine would take advantage of the Cell due to it's ability to use multiple cores.

Now it seems he's impressed with the choice for Blu-Ray in terms of future proofing the PS3

Anyways... I can't wait for both games!!!

Do you have links for the 'hate' quote?  I've never heard of Carmack 'hating' on any of the consoles.  It's not his style.  He's technical and simply states his view technically in any interview I've ever read.

Checking myself I can't find anything like that.  All he does is discuss his view on various pros/cons on any platform he works on.

Are you confusing him with Gabe Newell from Valve?

OT it's a pity they cut the original design down due to DVD limitations, but I'm more concerned about how the game plays.  I still rate Carmack as perhaps the premier coder for tech for gaming, but while each engine he's produced is amazing technically the company has lost the strong lead it needs to deliver a great game built on that tech.  Hopefully they'll break this cycle with Rage.

I guess on 360 there is always the install option, but I suspose Arcade's make this hard to make mandatory.

Sorry I exaggerated a little...

What I should have said was that he complained about the PS3