By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom talks about disruption!

Finally, after a long time, he is back with another blogpost in the style of the older disruption articles (as opposed to his random rants). 

It explains how Nintendo is doing the upstreaming. 

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/why-no-discussion-about-overshooting/

"There was someone, responding to my painting a picture of inevitable Core Market melt-down, who said that I had to do this in order to ‘defend’ Nintendo’s strategy. Actually, Core Melt-down is an essential part of disruption. The melt-down is in the overshooting.

"Going upmarket is not a process that will complete itself this console cycle. It could take a decade."

"People are citing Madworld or Conduit as examples of Wii moving ‘upmarket’. Motion controls in games with core values are not what upmarket is about. In both Madworld and Conduit, the Wii-mote provided a more sustaining innovation to these games, not a disruptive one. Conduit’s controls were better than dual analog. But the game did not share any of the expanded market values."

"Sports is an example where Nintendo moved upmarket to get those core gamers onto their system. The gaming press has not noticed this because they don’t even consider sports games to be ‘hardcore’ but ‘casual’. But, no, sports games have been Core Games for quite a while. Playing golf with Motion Plus motion controls is far more appealing to the mass market than playing golf in high definition. While Wii Sports was the ‘low tier’ of that, Motion Plus is a definite move upmarket to those more demanding golf consumers."

"The big question about motion controls is not whether or not there will be better motion controls. There will. The big question about motion controls is when will they begin overshooting the customers. Remember, the bedrock principle of disruption is that products improve faster than customers can absorb. Motion Plus might already be beginning to overshoot the customer needs. If this is true, Sony and Microsoft are in big trouble."

Around the Network

"The Nintendo fanboys revere the Atari fanboys as gods, and Malstrom is the prophet of their return."

It's really hard to take Malstrom seriously when he's so attached to buzzwords. I guess it comes with his profession, but he puts way too much emphasis on words with really hollow meanings. It makes each of his bits so annoying. And why is he ignoring Natal and Sony motion control, as if Motion Plus is the only thing on the market (save for the Wiimote)?

And this is where he's way too attached to buzz words. He says that sports games are "core" games. They're not. Sports games are a decent chunk of core gamers, and an even larger chunk of casual gamers. That's why the biggest sports games ever have had lots of casual appeal (Madden, Mario & Sonic Olympics). The reason Tiger Woods sells so well on the Wii is not because core gamers want to play motion plus, but because the Wii has the highest userbase, one shifted towards golf (people ages 25-44 and up), and a good control for the game. And good control is something that appeals to "casual" gamers just as much as "core" gamers.

Basically, he hates core gamers, and he doesn't want a group of people to have fun. What a great guy.

MontanaHatchet said:
"The Nintendo fanboys revere the Atari fanboys as gods, and Malstrom is the prophet of their return."

It's really hard to take Malstrom seriously when he's so attached to buzzwords. I guess it comes with his profession, but he puts way too much emphasis on words with really hollow meanings. It makes each of his bits so annoying. And why is he ignoring Natal and Sony motion control, as if Motion Plus is the only thing on the market (save for the Wiimote)?

And this is where he's way too attached to buzz words. He says that sports games are "core" games. They're not. Sports games are a decent chunk of core gamers, and an even larger chunk of casual gamers. That's why the biggest sports games ever have had lots of casual appeal (Madden, Mario & Sonic Olympics). The reason Tiger Woods sells so well on the Wii is not because core gamers want to play motion plus, but because the Wii has the highest userbase, one shifted towards golf (people ages 25-44 and up), and a good control for the game. And good control is something that appeals to "casual" gamers just as much as "core" gamers.

Basically, he hates core gamers, and he doesn't want a group of people to have fun. What a great guy.

I can understand how you have a hard time taking him seriously but he does raise some entertaining points. Not that you have to take them seriously, but they are very interesting to read, at the very least. And that is where he gets credit from me.

Why is he ignoring Natal and anything from Sony? Maybe because they are NOT on the market yet. How can you talk about something that is as hollow as the buzzwords you are irritated by (at this point)? Products like that do not deserve mention yet because nobody really knows enough to take them seriously (or not). That was rather unfair of you.

Not all Sports games are core games, nor are they all casual. Some even blend the two together (sometimes well, sometimes not so...) but there are definitely core sports games just as any other genre can do the same. Tiger sells well because 1) It is Tiger. 2) The controls are amazing. 3) The price is not unreasonable. 4) It is the most realistic golf game in the world.

Where does he say he does not want core gamers to have fun? Nowhere? Now you are just being a great big jerk and losing any cred. you had going for you.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I agree with Malstrom about motion overshooting - but for an entirely different reason.
The motion set-ups make the consoles much less mobile. I take my GC all over the house whereas my Wii is tethered to a particular TV set. Microsoft and Sony are about to do the same for their consoles, except their general user is much more wanting to move things around and play on the road.

Think about it.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I like the part about the sports games. It's spot on.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
And why is he ignoring Natal and Sony motion control, as if Motion Plus is the only thing on the market (save for the Wiimote)?

They're vapourware. There's not been a single demonstration, video or playable, showing the device and software the public will use with it. It's just unverifiable videos of misleading tech demos, and hype. And, importantly, no release date. Even Nintendo had one of those for WM+.

Soleron said:
MontanaHatchet said:
And why is he ignoring Natal and Sony motion control, as if Motion Plus is the only thing on the market (save for the Wiimote)?

They're vapourware. There's not been a single demonstration, video or playable, showing the device and software the public will use with it. It's just unverifiable videos of misleading tech demos, and hype. And, importantly, no release date. Even Nintendo had one of those for WM+.

He's not ignoring them. He believes that Natal will have Xbox fanboys raging at microsoft, and he believes the PS3 is too upmarket and hard to develop for for the motion control to be sucessful.

He even mentioned the competition in the article.

I LOVE ICELAND!

MontanaHatchet said:

To address this point, he feels that the technology of it is irrelevant. It's a consumer-focused thing, according to him, and a technological solution is not going to help them in this case. Plus he's of the opinion that Natal is the next surface, so it's a non-factor

I agree with the former point, though not with the latter.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

MontanaHatchet said:

Doesn't he only hate core gamers that wish that the so called "hardcore market" should be the only market in the games industry? Tell me specificially where in his blog posts did he say that he despises all types of so-called "hardcore gamers"?

I think you're letting yourself get offended by his writing. Calm down, quit reading his blog posts for a little while, & don't get so riled up after reading his posts if you do start reading them again.

That being said, I wonder how well Malstrom will do in the vgchartz forums. The only thing I could predict is that several members might get banned from trying to flame him.

I LIKE REDMOON ONLINE. IT'S TEH MOST AWESOMEST MMORPG. RUNESCAPE HAS NOTHING ON IT. ;) My full Videogame collection (Well, not really that full): http://www.backloggery.com/marktheshark I'LL COOL YOUR ANGER WITH AN ICE SPIRIT BLAST!!!!111111!!!!!!111!!!!1!!! List of vg studios that've been shut down this generation: Digital Anvil Headfirst Productions Frog City Software (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Indie Built (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Wolfpack Studios Core Design (Subsiduary of Eidos) Rockstar Vienna/neo Software Produktions GmbH (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Clover Studios (Subsiduary of Capcom) Sidecar Studios Flagship (Subsiduary of Capcom) FASA Studio Nihon Telenet EA Chicago aka NufX (Subsiduary of EA) Kush Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Concrete Games (Subsiduary of THQ?) Iron Lore Entertainment Carbonated Games Stormfront Studios Pseudo Interactive PAM Development (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Venom Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Castaway Entertainment Flagship Studios Pivotal Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Sierra Entertainment (Subsiduary of Activison) Helixe (Subsiduary of THQ) Mass Media (Subsiduary of THQ) Locomotive Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Paradigm Entertainment (Subsiduary of THQ) Sandblast Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Brash Entertainment Jaleco (Assets sold to Game Yarou) MS Aces Rockpool Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Seta Corporation Humanature Studio (Subsiduary of Nexon) Ensemble Studios Straylight Studios 3D Realms GameLab Factor 5 America's Army Studio The Fizz Factor (Subsiduary of Amaze Entertainment) GRIN Software Bottlerocket Entertainment Shaba Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Transmission Games Pandemic Studios Ninja Studio Fuzzyeyes Studio Near Death Studios Deep Silver Vienna (Subsidiary of Deep Silver) Incognito Entertainment (Subsiduary of SCEA) Matahari Studios (Subsiduary of Kuju?) Luxoflux (Subsiduary of Activison) Underground Development (Subsiduary of Activison) Red Octane (Subsiduary of Activison) Universomo (Subsiduary of THQ) Cing Zushi Games Javaground Silver Style Entertainment Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment Secret Level (Subsiduary of Sega) Ninja Studio Monte Cristo Cavia Flight-Plan Sparkplay Media Realtime Worlds Gaia Krome Studios Budcat Creations NetDevil Outerlight Propaganda Games (Subsiduary of Disney Interactive) MTV Games Bizarre Creations 7 Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Pi Studios Cohort Studios Frozen North Productions Killaware Game Republic Titan Studios (Subsidiary of Epic Games China) Kaos Studios (Subsidiary of THQ?) THQ Digital Warrington (Subsidiary of THQ) Blue Tongue (Subsidiary of THQ) Black Rock Studio (Subsidiary of Disney Interactive) Blue Fang Team Bondi Darkworks Multiverse Monumental Games Bigbig Studios (Subsidiary of Sony) Hudson Soft (Subsidiary of Konami) Spellbound Entertainment Zipper Interactive (Subsidiary of Sony) 4mm Games 38 Studios Big Huge Games (Subsidiary of 38 Studios) Rockstar Vancouver/Barking Dog Studios (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Radical Entertainment (Subsidiary of Activision) SCE Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis (Subsidiary of SCE World wide Studios) Project Sora (Subsidiary of Nintendo) Black Hole Entertainment Paragon Studios (Subsidiary of NCsoft) Crave Entertainment Eurocom THQ Vigil Games (Subsidiary of THQ) Junction Point Studios Milestone Inc. Lucasarts Eden Games (Subsidiary of Atari) Silicon Knights Timegate Studios EA Phenomic (Subsidiary of EA) Blitz Games Neverland Ea Black Box (Subsidiary of EA) Terminal Reality Two Tribes B.V. Irrational Games Maxis (Subsidiary of EA)

mike_intellivision said:
I agree with Malstrom about motion overshooting - but for an entirely different reason.
The motion set-ups make the consoles much less mobile. I take my GC all over the house whereas my Wii is tethered to a particular TV set. Microsoft and Sony are about to do the same for their consoles, except their general user is much more wanting to move things around and play on the road.

Think about it.

Mike from Morgantown

I don't know what your problem is. I also used my GC mobile all the time. I even bought a special GC bag. Than I switched to the Wii and also travel with it all the time. I even use the same GC bag for it. The Wii itself is smaller and there is enough space for 2 Wiimotes and Nunchucks. (I only had space for one GC-controller earlier ...)