By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Modern Warfare 2 takes steps backwards...why buy it?

683017CA said:
dude infinity wards games run smoother at 60fps cod waw dipped from 60fps al the way down to 35 you cant compare the two its like apples and oranges. infinity ward = quality treyarch = descent. plus look at the knife melee in waw it was like delayed when you stab, it seems like it took an extra second to retract.

And since when did Frames per second and Knife stabbing animations ever make a game great?

I doubt MW2 will be running at 60fps on consoles anyway.

MW2 will be better then WAW though. Treyarch suck compared to Infinity Ward and so do their COD games.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Munkeh111 said:
KylieDog said:

I was looking up info on MW2 and after a while I wondered why anyone wants to buy this game since it seems to be taking steps backwards.  I'll explain why.

First of all, for the people just interested in the competitive multiplayer.  From the details released it seems to be identical to all the gameplay modes that WaW has, and only has one extra game type that MW1 does not.   So no solid benefit to buying it.

New maps. WaW had rubbish maps and weapons, so let's just compare it to CoD 4. The MP in that was amazing, but now there will be better graphics, all new maps, new weapons and new perks. They have not really talked about it much as of yet, but IW know what they are doing.

Co-op, this is a big one.  WaW has co-op, you could play the campaign online with 3 others (4 total) or you could play it locally 2 player.  MW2 creators have decided no campaign co-op at all, no local split-screen co-op, and the only co-op it does is 2 player side missions.  A certain other FPS sequal decided to remove campaign co-op and went with side missions instead (a more impressive 8 player at that) yet was heavily criticised for it.  Gamers made it clear they wanted campaign co-op, yet MW2 will not include it when its predecessor did.   WaW outperforms it.

From a narrative perspective, in many cases it doesn't work, and same for pacing, which is why many games choose a dedicated co-op mode, like Uncharted 2. I did play WaW co-op, and it was quite fun, but the SP was just not as good as CoD 4,  I think you can give a much better experience in SP, because co-op is nearly all about just shooting stuff, which is why creating scenarios just for co-op works much better. There are exceptions in games like Gears of War where you are in a squad, but it often feels tacked on

Nazi zombies.  There is no denying this is a very popular mode that was included with WaW.  The chances of it being included in MW2 seem slim though, aside from no official word from Infinity Ward it will be present this isn't a WW2 setting so they would be vastly out of place.  Even if the game were to feature such a mode, Infinity Ward have made clear co-op is two players only, so it will not match up to WaW.

They haven't fully detailed MP, so they might have a horde mode, but yeah, if you like this mode, then it is a loss

Vehicles.   WaW allowed you to control tanks both in single player and multiplayer, Treyarch were very vocal about this pre-release.  IW however seem a bit quite on the vehicle topic, they have listed a few and stated they will appear in single player, but talk quitely when how fully you control them control comes up, going silent when multiplayer is mentioned.  A good chance these won't make it to multiplayer.  If they don't make it the game is on-par with MW1, and steps backwards from WaW.

I stopped playing WaW online after 3 hours, because of the vehicles. The reason there were no vehicles in 4 is because they don't really work. CoD 3 had vehicles online and nobody would say 4 was a step back. There will be vehicles in SP, but this is primarily an FPS not a vehicle game

Campaign.  Ok it is new, hurray!  Without a competitive co-op though how many times are you gonna play through it before getting bored?  Has been stated it will be 6-10 hours long depending on your skill.   Surely this means it is worth a rent only?

You're not, you're going to play it once and go online, why do you need to play things again. I don't get this. Why can't they just create a great experience to be played once. It is not just about the amount of time you spend in the game, once you tire of PS, play online

So there is my argument.  If you love co-op WaW trumps it heavily.  If you do not care for co-op then the game is pretty much just a CoD4 re-release.  Vehicles looking to be in WaWs favour also so far.

It it is a similar game to CoD 4, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

So why buy Modern Warfare 2?

This is all opinion though, can be silenced with another person saying the maps, weapons, tanks and co-op are great in WaW.

I cannot find any "MW2 does this brand new amazing thing, and better!" that warrants anyone buying it instead of COD4 or WaW.

Let's take the sum of opinions and call that the Sales... Looks like the people have spoken. And the features in WaW are not great. 

Infinity Ward adds value that can't be summed up by a list of features. If you are relying on features then generally you are trying to cover up for the lack of quality in the basics of the game. One thing Treyarch seems to do compared to the higly respected Infinity Ward. 

badgenome said:
To support Activision, one of the most passionate and hardest-working young publishers in the industry.

Dude!  Please explain how the company that published Pitfall on the Atari 2600, and is responsible for the videogame industry having third-party consoles, is a "young publisher".  Just want you to chime in and confirm that you are NOT practicing sarcasm here.

By the way, back to the original question: What will MW2 do to justify it being purchased?  If I want to pick up a Modern Warfare game, why not get the original game on sale?  COD4: MW was fantastic, and a game  beat.  I got rid of it, because I didn't do multiplayer.  They story was cool, but I am just not all into that.

I'll decide on this game when I hear the whole media blowout about the Multiplayer. Right now they are only talking single player which is the least interesting thing in a COD game.

BTW tanks in WaW were ass not having them in MW2 MP is a plus, either you do the vehicles right like Battlefield series or don't do them at all.

Wait, what? There has been no info on multiplayer released, and yet people think that it will be exactly the same as MW1? Where did you get your information from? Because if it doesn't come from IW, or fourzerotwo (community manager from IW) its complete bullshit. They have said thousands of times that they never released any multiplayer information.

Around the Network

i havent played WaW cause im waiting for MW2 :) after playing CoD4 i couldnt bring myself back to WW2 :(

KylieDog said:
Barozi said:
KylieDog said:
Barozi said:
Why would anyone buy Bioshock 2 or Half Life 3 ?

Because of an AAA campaign.
CoD, CoD2 and CoD4 had AAA campaigns and I'm sure MW2 will feature one.

Campaigns are worth a rent only.  Bioshock 2 will add multiplayer which the first did not have.   Same as WaW added 4 player co-op in campaign and nazi zombies co-op.   MW2 removes features.

LOOOOL

I hope you didn't generalize that, because that would be ridiculous.

For FPS games that last 6-10 hours with no multiplayer for the campaign?   I find it hard to believe anyone would waste money buying a game just for that.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6978&region=All

Heavenly sword for those that don't feel like clicking. Well over a million copies for a game that was five hours long with no multiplayer.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

MW2 - Doesn't look different from other fps games.

NO CO-OP (JUST LIKE KILLZONE 2) IS A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!!

I'm only gonna buy this game for the NIGHT VISION GOGGLES!

I still dont have CoD4, but its STILL $60!!!. Ill get it if it becomes greatist hits. Then when MW2 drops from $70 to $50-$60 ill get it

what Treyarch did with WAW was make it more playable for people that aren't that good at Fps's, serious hardcore FPS players didnt like WAW and are therefore waiting for MF2.