By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much does piracy affect game sales?

Aion said:
hellonearth said:
Aion said:
Gilgamesh said:

In just America so far this year there has been over 1 billion dollars lost because of people downloading games. That's how much.

That's discusting.

Don't blame pirates, blame the system.

No there ruining this industry.

Blame the government for not cracking down on pirates. Blame the system for not having better security.

People are going to continue pirating until they are forced to stop.

Around the Network
FayeC said:
hellonearth said:
@happy. I believe you are wrong. I believe people think this way: "Why spend money on the game when I can have it for free".

True. SOME games they pirate that they wouldnt have bought, but then they get so used to pirating all games that they never buy anything.

You can expect someone who has pirated the entire SNES library on their computer to have gone out and bought them otherwise can you? The same is tru with current games. Some may have been bought, but most are simply taken because "The price is right"

This is (more or less) what I was thinking ...

You regularly hear people on these forums say things that imply that they would only (ever) buy 90% or higher rated games on metacritic, and they wouldn't rent anything that got less than 80%, because the investment of money into buying/renting the game makes them far more careful about what they buy or rent.

While I'm certain there would be higher sales with the elimination of piracy, I'm also fairly certain that the vast majority of pirated copies of games would not translate into higher sales of those games.

psp sales are horrible. over 600 000 people pirated gow:coo from ONE SITE ALONE

Aion said:
Gilgamesh said:

In just America so far this year there has been over 1 billion dollars lost because of people downloading games. That's how much.

That's discusting.

It's disgusting that people belive in those pulled out of asses of copyright protecting companies numbers.

Just becouse let's say 100k pirated software that costs 1000$ in shop it doesn't mean all of them would buy it.

They would either get freeware alternatives or just don't use it mostly.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

PSP and PC are really suffering.
Hardcore DS and Wii games might be aswell (Chinatown wars and the Conduit)

360 not so much as the risk vs reward is too high
PS3 BR media keeping it safe so far, but eventually the same risks as 360.

PS2 only had real softmods late in its life so probably not to badly affected.

This is only from UK/Euro perspective, I have no idea in the Far East.

Around the Network

^I doubt Ps3 will get hacked. It's not just BluRay, it has better prevention than previous systems.

Gilgamesh said:

Do you have a source, and does that source have the methodology for deriving that number?

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Pirating games should be legal. Game companies should only make games for fun

OT: It depends how much they pirate. I read/watch that their was over 100,000 pirates and like 15,000 people who actually bought the real thing. It was some pc game that they found out from playing online

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

No such thing as piracy on PSN, and DLC.  For everything else, who knows.

Burning Typhoon said:

No such thing as piracy on PSN, and DLC.  For everything else, who knows.

WiiWare is simple to pirate. PSN is rather simple too, on the PSP end of things.