By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS highest-selling games device in Australia in Q3; PS3 the lowest

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180457.html 

Nintendo DS highest-selling games device in Australia in Q3; PS3 the lowest
More than 140,000 DS' sold down under between July-September; PS3 at the bottom of the sales charts.

Nintendo’s recent hardware dominance has seen its share price reach record highs, and it seems that Aussies haven't been immune to the House of Mario's resurgence. New figures from industry tracker GfK Australia show that Nintendo had the highest selling portable games device (the DS) and the highest-selling next-gen console (the Wii) down under in the last three months, easily eclipsing Sony and Microsoft.

The Nintendo DS was by far and away the highest-selling games device in Australia between the start of July and the end of September, selling close to 140,000 units. The DS sales figure of 139,483 units is almost five times that of its nearest equivalent, the PlayStation Portable, which sold 28,374 in the same time period.

The Nintendo Wii is also the clear leader in the next-gen console stakes, selling 61,027 units in July-September. The Xbox 360 sold 40,467 units in the same time period, while Sony's PlayStation 3 sold 27,533. Sony's newest console may be lagging somewhat, but its last-gen device--the PS2--is still going strong in Australia, with its third quarter sales of 66,228 enough to make it the second most popular games device in the country for that time period.

GfK Australia also released the latest install base figures for Australian gaming devices this afternoon. In next-gen consoles, the Xbox 360 is still in the lead, with 222,136 owners down under since launch. The Wii is quickly catching up, however, with a total of 167,899 units altogether. The PS3 has had 82,261 devices sold so far. In Australia, the 360 was first launched in March 2006, the Wii in December 2006, and the PS3 in March 2007.

Full sales details can be found below.

Nintendo DS
2007 Q3 sales: 139,483
Total install base: 730,076

PlayStation 2
2007 Q3 sales: 66,228
Total install base: 2,118,646

Nintendo Wii
2007 Q3 sales: 61,027
Total install base: 167,899

Xbox 360
2007 Q3 sales: 40,467
Total install base: 222,136

PlayStation Portable
2007 Q3 sales: 28,374
Total install base: 317,442

PlayStation 3
2007 Q3 sales: 27,533
Total install base: 82,261

All figures courtesy of GfK Australia.

Around the Network

wow @ PS2 sales down under. Other than that, the % difference between the consoles fits the WW differences.

PS2 + Singstar still rules here. Its just so damned cheap (compared to just about everything) - Wii still more than double the PS2 price.

Still - from memory, the Wii is rapidly approaching the install base of the GC. I think it was around 200-250k?

Wii + DS > PS2 + PSP + PS3 + 360 (about 60% hardware market + GC + GBA)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Wasn't there some statement a couple of months ago from Sony saying month on month PS3 was outselling the Wii etc etc?

what I would like to see is a comparison between these figures and VGChartz...

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
what I would like to see is a comparison between these figures and VGChartz...

Week ending Sept 30.

Australia:

ConsoleWeeklyTotal
Total21,900

vgchartz is

- 32,152 for DS (5% off)
+ 46,850 for PS2 (2% off)
+ 9,375 for Wii (5% off)
+ 4,993 for 360 (2% off)
+ 7,116 for PSP (2% off)
+ 909 for PS3. (1% off)

I don't know about you, but me thinks this is right on the money. Way to go ioi.

The PSP is doing bad down there ... but Im glad that the old king still has some power left in it :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

There should be a weekly FishyJoe "Good News for Nintendo / Bad News for Sony / Nothing about Microsoft" thread that merges all thoughts for the Week.

I like Sony and Nintendo better as a company than Nintendo, but I like the X360 and PS3 better than I like the Wii, if that makes any sense.

Sure Nintendo will win in number, but I think Nintendo is having a different market position than Sony and Microsoft this generation. I know this theory won't go well with VGChartz community. Nintendo will win in numbers, but Sony / Microsoft are still fulfilling a different need than Nintendo.

Video game market competitors have filled one market segment until this generation, IMO. Ford Model Ts did in the automobile market until there was more variety.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Wow, I bet the state of California alone has better sales than that, let alone the other 49 states. Really goes to show how different the markets are.

Anyway, it's pretty clear Sony needs to do something big, and soon. They are getting beat silly pretty much everywhere. I hope they have something big planned that they just haven't revealed yet, 'cause they're pretty bad off otherwise.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

To be fair, I don't think Austrailia has had a market for Video Games as long and established as other regions - European regions were ungodly horrible (maybe 10m for the entire SNES/Gen generation, if that) , then they finally got established in the mid/late 90s....Heck, I think PS2 might of sold near that amount alone in the UK.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.