By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like MMORPG?

twesterm said:
  1. You should probably try a few 's before you talk about them. I can't talk about WoW much because I didn't get much into it, but FFXI actually has a pretty engaging story. Even WoW though, the little I have played of it has story and background, it's just up to you, the player, to get into that story. You can say those stories are crap, but they aren't any worse than Halo or Battlefield.
  2. It's funny you talk about plot and then you list Battlefield 1943
  3. It's even funnier that you then talk about playing them online
  4. Every game has repition, it's mainly just a matter of the type of game you like. I play something like Halo online and it's the same thing over and over and over again to me.
  5. I've just returned to FFXI after a two year break and I'm not lagging behind except for just being rusty and that would come with most any game after a two year break. They added new things but they aren't that hard to grasp.
  6. You can actually make the argument that MMO's are cheaper because rather than buying a new game every month at $60 you're paying ~$15 (price changes depending on the game) a month for the same game but a game that continues to be interesting for hundreds of hours.

there's a difference between games like Battlefield, Halo and WoW. i played a lot of mmorpgs, mostly free(Tibia, Flyff, Runescape etc.), but also Ragnarok and WoW and to me outside of Gunz which is basically a tps all of them are bout grinding and nothing else - at first it's fun but later it get's boring. online games and MMOs are 2 different things.

when i was talking bout story i meant singleplayer-kind-of experience - in mmos you just are in the world doing missions and that's it.

Around the Network
waron said:

when i was talking bout story i meant singleplayer-kind-of experience - in mmos you just are in the world doing missions and that's it.

waron said:
twesterm said:

1. You should probably try a few 's before you talk about them. I can't talk about WoW much because I didn't get much into it, but FFXI actually has a pretty engaging story. Even WoW though, the little I have played of it has story and background, it's just up to you, the player, to get into that story. You can say those stories are crap, but they aren't any worse than Halo or Battlefield.
  2. It's funny you talk about plot and then you list Battlefield 1943
  3. It's even funnier that you then talk about playing them online
  4. Every game has repition, it's mainly just a matter of the type of game you like. I play something like Halo online and it's the same thing over and over and over again to me.
  5. I've just returned to FFXI after a two year break and I'm not lagging behind except for just being rusty and that would come with most any game after a two year break. They added new things but they aren't that hard to grasp.
  6. You can actually make the argument that MMO's are cheaper because rather than buying a new game every month at $60 you're paying ~$15 (price changes depending on the game) a month for the same game but a game that continues to be interesting for hundreds of hours.

there's a difference between games like Battlefield, Halo and WoW. i played a lot of mmorpgs, mostly free(Tibia, Flyff, Runescape etc.), but also Ragnarok and WoW and to me outside of Gunz which is basically a tps all of them are bout grinding and nothing else - at first it's fun but later it get's boring. online games and MMOs are 2 different things.

No, you are just in the world doing missions and that's it.  You are the one choosing not to read the mission text or doing the story missions.  There is story there should you choose to actually pay attention to it.

That's like me picking up Fallout 3, skipping every piece of dialogue, and then saying WTF?  This game sucks!  All I do is wander around the wasteland doing random quests for people!

All MMO's (including WoW) have a pretty good story, but you're not playing the story, it's most of the time history from what happened in the world. Some people like that, some don't.

Finding an MMO you like mid-long term is really great, but I think it's quite hard to find that one. If you don't like the grinding aspect (which many people do) you should look into more PvP based MMOs with level caps etc.

Story wise varies a lot, the Tome of Knowledge in Warhammer Online that fills up as you encounter NPCs, areas etc is great for lore.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
All MMO's (including WoW) have a pretty good story, but you're not playing the story, it's most of the time history from what happened in the world. Some people like that, some don't.

probably that's why i never got into mmos - i like to be a part of this and the only online i prefer is in action games.

waron said:
Samus Aran said:

probably that's why i never got into mmos - i like to be a part of this and the only online i prefer is in action games.

Actually, FFXI puts your character into the story and makes it part of it.  They really did an ingenious way of doing story in that game and pulled it off nicely.  Again though, you just have to take the time to do those missions to get the story rather than just grind away.

so far no, but that might change with The Old Republic

Mummelmann said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
MMOs are like birth control for nerds.

I don't remember which site it was, probably Amazon, but I looked at WoW: Burning Crusade and the section below with other products the customers bought (ya know; "those who purchased this prodcut also bought this:") and the number one attached item was a Fleshlight!

Really? Is there a reason a person who plays a MMO is any more likely to have less of a social life then a person to who plays other types of games?

I would think on a site dedicated to video games people could discuss any type of game and not hear the stereotypes that we all know to not be true.  i dunno i guess i like to think that while on a gaming site we shouldnt be judgeing people about their gaming habits or choices.  There is enough negitive feed back from the public, we dont need it on the fourms. 

twesterm said:
waron said:
Samus Aran said:

Actually, FFXI puts your character into the story and makes it part of it.  They really did an ingenious way of doing story in that game and pulled it off nicely.  Again though, you just have to take the time to do those missions to get the story rather than just grind away.

Are you kidding?  The intro is awful, it hardly connects you at all to the world, and you're dumped into a relatively barren game.  The other players aren't that social, the controls are pretty awful by PC standards (hooray for multiplat with consoles), and the only good thing about it was the macro system.  I played it with two friends for a two week trial.  It was my first MMO and after those two weeks I was ready to let it be my last MMO.