By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's the best way to get a girlfriend?

^ my god, i remember the ladder theory. lulz.

dude peach is your brawl character? mine too! she kicks ass.

Around the Network

Trashleg would make a great mod, she has my backing too.

And as for the thread creator, erm...I've really run out of advice here. Learn guitar?

i've never heard of that theory before, i checked it out and it made me laugh.

i dont agree with it tho. 50% money/power? naaaaah, give me a sense of humour > money any day.

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.

yea i think its a bit off. humor seems to be the key for most females

@trashleg: The ladder theory is mostly for fun but there's some truth to it. Like if a girl thinks of you as a friend you're have about zero chance of being with her.... but then again what do I know about girls :P

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
@trashleg: The ladder theory is mostly for fun but there's some truth to it. Like if a girl thinks of you as a friend you're have about zero chance of being with her.... but then again what do I know about girls :P

probably more than i know about guys >.< lol.i have plenty male friends :D and not all of them are gay! my new flatmate is a male friend :)

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.
trashleg said:
TruckOSaurus said:

probably more than i know about guys >.< lol.i have plenty male friends :D and not all of them are gay! my new flatmate is a male friend :)

Let's test out the ladder theory then... would you date any of your non-gay male friends?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
trashleg said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Let's test out the ladder theory then... would you date any of your non-gay male friends?

i dunno. im not a big "dater", i dunno how its supposed to work! lol. i tend to only have a crush on one person at a time, but if i did get on amazingly well with someone i considered to be my friend, and we were both insanely attracted to each other, well...it's not the sort of thing you can really prevent fro happening, is it? if its meant to be, it'll be and all that..

i dunno! im not very experienced, lol.

At OP:

To be honest, just "be cool", as they say. You say your in High School, so I can safely assume that you're between the ages of 12 and 20 (depending on whether you failed and which part of the world you live in). You've got plenty of time.

One thing you'll find that if you're desparately looking for a girlfriend, you'll seem over eager to girls and repel them OR you'll settle for someone that you thought "wow she's way above my 'weight' division, I should take it if it's biting" and then regret it later.

I'm not saying don't be open to having a girlfriend, but don't be overly eager to seek one either. Things will fall into place eventually. Also, last time I checked (and assuming your a dude), it's not socially abnormal for a man to be single at your age (or even a female for that matter). So just let things roll and eventually it'll work out.

But, if you must pursue:
1) Try talking to girls. Most tend to be receptive to new people because they are nice. Just don't do anything seedy from the start and you'll be on their radar (as someone. Whether that's a friend, boyfriend, acquintance whatever. It's important just to be noticed).

2) Don't be too forward. You sound like someone that wants to be in a committed relationship right now and I've only been out of high school for a few years now, but I'm pretty sure that's a turn off for most girls (A Car has to start from 0, hit 10 mph before it finally gets to 60mph. If you get what I mean).

3) Don't be too friend-like. You have to distinguish yourself as NOT being a friend. That's not to say be a jerk, what I mean is, don't do things a friend would do (or someone who's trying to be a friend would do). Don't talk about other guys she might be interested in or girls you might be or were interested in. You want to date her, you don't want to be best buds with her.

Most guys tend to think they're in by being the friend, but in reality, that's what the girl see's you as, and she's more open because of that. She's not more open because she likes you, it's because she trusts you as a friend.

4) BE COOL. Cannot stress this enough. Things like this take time, so relax if it's slow at first and don't rush things (ANY THINGS. Be it emotional, sexual or just status wise. ANY THINGS).

5) You're young. As much pressure as there is with getting ahead in the sex world in high school, especially for dudes, you're better off enjoying life instead of worrying about which base to hit. Better off being a virgin for 40 years then to lose it to someone you're going to forget in a months time.

EDIT:

6) Don't be too showy. As in don't try to flash bling or rock designer t-shirts (especially ones that say the label on the face in massive letters. You'll look like a douche) or limited edition kicks, IF that's not how you dress usually. You'd rather attract a person by being you then being someone you're not or by the items you possess. I drive a nice car (for my age) but no one knows it other than my closer friends, because I don't want the car to define me to people.

3 Bad things can come from being too showy or flash (if that's not who you are):

- Girl won't see the real you, so things will get awkward when you rock up one day wearing your old school Nintendo t-shirt

- You don't want her to like you for your clothes, objects etc (Because then you don't know whether she wants you, your money or the status you have for what you wear/have)

- She might see you as a Douche (which is what most dudes will see you as) for being a show-off.

EDIT 2:

7)  This ones more for when you're ready to approach a particular girl.

In this day and age, people don't really need to be defined as boyfriend/girlfriend, as long as you know what you are with each other, that's all that matters really.

So what I'm saying is, you don't actually need to ask "will you be my girlfriend". This is the one question I think kills the confidence of shy guys. But these days, as long as you do everything a couple does (which like I said before, IS A GRADUAL PROCESS), you won't actually need to come to that question.

So if you take things slow and let things roll over time, you'll never ever need to ask a question like that to define your relationship. That's probably the best advice for a shy person.

incredible advice there^. i agree with everything