By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hitachi Creates 100GB Blu-ray Disc for PS3

Heavenly sword takes up 22 gigs genius.

The reason why is because the background is being run by the cell, and its alive(not FF VII thats drawn there).

mM
Around the Network

For this to really matter for gamers developers they are going to have to find a way to develop games on the PS3 more efficiently. To fill this space with something besides 100 language tracks or tons of high res video they will have to make a lot more game which currently is going to drive development costs up even further. Without that sort of improvement a game that takes all that space up with real game is going to have to sell like some sort of madness to make money, particularly enough money to justify the initial investment when compared to making smaller games that they can sell at the same price. I do though wonder if we might see some really awesome compilation disks, I mean with that much space I would expect you could get Sony's entire PS1 catalog and a good number of 3rd parties on a single disk or such.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

leo-j said:

The reason why is because the background is being run by the cell, and its alive(not FF VII thats drawn there).

Wait a second I thought it was because 11GB was taken up by audio and god knows how much by FMV (which I think HS had quite a bit of?)

Also how is the background anymore alive than in any other game with destructable environments? (I'm assuming thats what you meant...) 

leo-j said:

Are you relating to the space taken up by FFVII back then? That was due to FMVs being rendered in high bitrate MPEG-1. That had little to do with the backgrounds. Plus your comment makes it seem as though "alive backgrounds" are something new to this gen. They were around in the 5th gen. They just didn't look as good as bitmap backgrounds.

Plus the background argument is really wrong, since backgrounds are limited by RAM, not disc space.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

zelda 64 was a ~30 hour game. it was 32 megabytes. that is .032 gigabytes.

Around the Network

This probably won't be used for more than a handful of movies/games combined for several years. It makes no sense to even put a trilogy of games or movies on one disc in case it gets scratched.

Either way, the only way I'm going to take this news is as evidence that BD is winning.

Hey, I'm not saying more space equals better games....but hell, you want to make a big freaking game, go for PS3...

gamingdevil said:
Sadly, you'd need to shell out as much as the whole computer to buy a BD writer IF there's any of them out.

I was curious as to what prices were, so here is a burner for $460.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106037 

I am not claiming that is cheap or anything, but DVD burners were this high at least when they first came out.  I bet you could find one for under $350 by the end of the year. 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

so in the future we buy all the episodes of the simpsons on one Blu Ray?

leo-j said:

22GB for a 6 hour game ...
That means Oblivion must take up well over 100GB ...

Seriously though, developers will 'waste' a lot of space if it is available in order to reduce load times ...

Many/most multiplatform games in the last generation took up nearly a full DVD on the PS2 and XBox and fit on the Gamecube's 1.5GB disk with little/no loss of data.