By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A rather crazy Zelda timeline

Too many Links.

Around the Network
Louie said:
Zelda doesn't have a timeline because Nintendo never bothered to make the games fit into one. That's the whole story.

this.

So let me get this straight:

Ocarina of Time (1998)
A Link to the Past (1991) Majora's Mask (2000)
Oracle of Seasons (2001) Twilight Princess (2006)
Oracle of Ages (2001) The Minish Cap (2004)
The Wind Waker (2002) Four Swords (2002)
Phantom Hourglass (2007) Four Swords Adventures (2004)
Link's Awakening (1993) The Legend of Zelda (1986)

The Adventure of Link (1987)

Aside from the games with an obvious sequel, I just don't see how a timeline is supposed to exist.  If Nintendo really had a plan, they wouldn't jump around so much.

Then there is this from Wikipedia about Four Swords:

According to an interviewEiji Aonuma, a major designer and the director of many games in the Zelda series, considered this game to be the oldest in the timeline, implying that both this and The Minish Cap occur earlier than Ocarina of Time.
That sort of blows up this theory.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

This is a truly amazing piece of writing..

http://www.thedailyblitz.org/index.php?s=hyrule+history

It is extremely long and there are a few things I don't agree on but the way that all the games are connected is brilliant. It really feels like an amazing book, a very deep story and there are things that I think a lot of people probably have never considered.

I must warn people though that it is split into 7 parts and each part takes a while to read but if you love zelda this is definitely a MUST READ!

Also don't be put off by the fact that this follows the theory of only one timeline because it integrates very well :)

puffy said:
This is a truly amazing piece of writing..

http://www.thedailyblitz.org/index.php?s=hyrule+history

It is extremely long and there are a few things I don't agree on but the way that all the games are connected is brilliant. It really feels like an amazing book, a very deep story and there are things that I think a lot of people probably have never considered.

I must warn people though that it is split into 7 parts and each part takes a while to read but if you love zelda this is definitely a MUST READ!

Also don't be put off by the fact that this follows the theory of only one timeline because it integrates very well :)

A much more epic portrayal, like a miniature novelization. Of course, it shuns the split timeline theory, making it all the more interesting (since he has to account for the different world appearances, explaining them in multiple cataclysms)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Doesn't the guy's reply video (with Nintendo's statement) pretty much prove that there is no continuity?

I think Nintendo first tried to have a time line for the earlier games but then they just lost tracks after a few titles

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.